Looking For A Chefs Position

My name is Dirk Brijs and I am a 33 year old Belgian national. I have been living in Thailand now for the last 4 years. For the last 5 years I have been working on 5 star cruise ships as a chef and as Executive Chef for the last year.

I would like to settle down again on land so I am currently looking for a position as a chef in Hotel or Resort. Would also be very interested in a training position.

For more information and my full resume please reply to this message with your Email and i will send you all my details.

As i am fairly new here and not sure if people can actualy see my Email address here.

You can always contact me at my personal Email address as well

<<personal details removed - samran>> PM the OP to contact him

Dirk, imho your best bet is to send your cv to all the multinational hoteliers from there and express your desire to be located in los. IF you get a response, chances are your salary and perks would be far greater than signing on once here.

Do put your ad in the Gazette as suggested, can't hurt and you may also place it at

http://www.bahtsold.com (hardcopy goes all over los)

Good luck!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. However, its almost universal feelings now in the Thai F & B industry, don't hire a foreign chef. The reason given they are "primadonnas and too expensive compare to a Thai chef trained in the West" It seems the foreigners that have worked in the industry in the past, have made this road a hard one to walk in Thailand.

It obviously depends on the hotel and its size as well as location. Things also obviously depend on your skills, experience and training.

There are enough hotels here in Phuket as well as in Samui that have foreign executive chefs. Executive chefs will sometimes also have to perform the duties of F&B manager.

• 2 years later...

Hi Dirk,

I'm a Belgian Chef working in Bangkok. Been stationed in asia for the past 12 years. I'm currently working for one of the top hotel chains, which is (like all other chains) expanding at a crazy rate.

I'll contact you on your private email, there are plenty of opportunities even in Thailand. Luxury hotels need expat chefs to handle the complexity of their kitchen operations beside the creative and professional input, like it or not. From time to time, management tries to switch to western trained Thai chefs, but it rarely works out.

cheers

sugarhead