Expat Haven In Cool Mountain Areas In Thailand?

JR Texas

New info on Panama changes, sounds like a reasonable thing to do. The banking systems sounds great with longer term term deposits paying 7%, once a year interest payment.

that information must be years old...

if it refers to US-Dollars.

Edited by Dr. Naam

Ecuador, wish we had something similar here:

RESIDENT/IMMIGRANT VISAS

Foreign nationals may apply to settle in Ecuador and obtain resident status. Resident visas are approved by the Immigration Board in Ecuador . The documentation process takes at least 4 to 8 weeks. There are a number of different resident visa categories, including:

10­I Retired persons who receive pensions from their native countries (required minimum monthly income from a foreign account USD 800 for the main visa holder, plus USD 100 monthly for each family dependent).

10­II Real estate and securities investors who are willing to invest in Ecuador a minimum of USD 25,000, plus USD 500 for each family dependent.

10­III Investors in industry who wish to export agricultural products, livestock, or minerals, (minimum investment of USD 30,000).

10­IV Companies with foreign local agents who possess unlimited power of attorney to represent the company in Ecuador, provided that 80% of the company's local personnel are Ecuadorian.

10­IV Technicians or technical experts under contract with a company established in Ecuador.

10­V Professionals with university degrees recognized by a national university, who wish to practice their profession in Ecuador . Should the applicant's profession not exist in Ecuador , the degree must be locally certified. The applicant must also fulfill the requirements for such practice (e.g. bar).

10­VI Individuals economically dependent on spouses or on a blood­related family member (family).

New info on Panama changes, sounds like a reasonable thing to do. The banking systems sounds great with longer term term deposits paying 7%, once a year interest payment.

=================

Panama uses the American Dollar as their currency although they call it the Balboa. The problem with Panama for me is that where the weather is pleasant there's little to do. And Panama isn't cheap. The expat areas have gotten overpriced as they've been heavily promoted by International Living Magazine. I asked about 4 years ago on a Panama Yahoo group if they were concerned about the country getting ruined like Costa Rica by real estate promoters. They laughed and scoffed at the idea that their little paradise would be affected. I noticed about 2 years ago that all hel_l was breaking loose on various Yahoo groups. People were up in arms about developers drawing literally thousands of new retirees in and driving prices thru the roof. The country has changed quickly and now the government appears to be trying to reign it in. Similarly in Costa Rica, several hundred thousand relatively wealthy foreigners moved into a country of 3.5 million, changing it drasticly. The central plateau of Costa Rica has one of the world's best climates, and it was once a true paradise for those with a small pension. But the locals got priced out of the housing market, crime has soared, and the government has ended all the incentives it had to encorage people to move there. And outside real estate speculators were behind much of it. And now much of South America is turning leftist, including Ecuador. Unfortunately our corporations have had a hand in that. They saw those countries as a source of cheap labor to be exploited. That has opened the door to demagogues like Chavez in Venezuela to grab power by railing against Yankee imperialism. Bottom line for me is if I stay in the Americas it will be either in Central America or the far south end of South America i.e. Argentina, Chile, or Uruguay. But the only place I feel has the overall quality of life I want is Chiang Mai, and I'm wondering if by the time I get there that'll no longer be the case.

Edited by vantexan

I moved to khao yai 3 months ago and I visit my office in pathum thani every week. I feel very happy and relaxed when I am approaching the mountain area of khao yai. The temperature in khao yai is much lower compared to bangkok.

Only in april we had to open the aircon in the bedrooms, the other months a fan was more than enough. Our place has mountains all around, many days we have a cool wind. There are lots of resorts around and western food is easy to find.

For me this is heaven.

rono

I have a haven in Chaiyapum province but I ain't telling antone where it is. It is a little wooden bungalow in the middle of a forest.

There are beautiful spots in Loei, Chaiyapum and Petchabun, which are all a couple of hours drive from Khon Kaen.

Advet on top left side says 8% now for local bank account 3 years.

You can get a citizenship for 5 years for $175K savings account that pays $750 a month dividends = 5%+

http://www.panamalaw.org/offshore_bank_account.html

This is from a guy living in living in the region, I ruled out Costa Rico before coming here because of esclating costs. I guess one could ay the same of Thailand these days. I thougth an interesting point of view. My real issue with Thailand is and has always been, no true retirement visa. I hate that yes you can stay p one moer year. Has it really been a huge problem so far not really

"Costa Rica might be an option for you. Once you are granted a

residence

permit in Costa Rica, (depending on the category) you do not need to

do

anything on an annual basis. For "Pensionado" you merely demonstrate

$600 per month in permanent and irrevocable income, and you get a

residence permit and c้dula that is good for the next five years, at

the

end of which, you have to requalify. For "Rentista," you can put $60k

in a local bank account, and take out $12k per year each year (and

convert it to the local currency) for the five year term, and live on

that money. You need only demonstrate at then end of the first year

that you have met the requirement to convert the $12k to local

currency;

from then on, you are in free. If you have successfully completed your

five year residency without any legal issues, you can apply for (and

likely will receive) permanent residency, after which you do nothing -

it is good for life (except you have to renew your cedula every five

years - they check your police record and if it is clean, renewal is

certain). Downside: the approval process for a residency is lengthy,

drawn out, expensive ($2k typically) and requires a good lawyer - and

takes about a year. Upside: once your application papers are filed,

you

can remain in the country indefinitely until the application is acted

upon. There is no censos in Costa Rica. Once you have your c้dula,

you

carry it or a copy, and you are good to go - you can leave the country

anytime you choose or travel anywhere in the country or change

residence

at will without notifying anybody. You must be in the country for at

least three months out of the year to maintain your residency. You can

be a resident of Costa Rica only if you are not a legal resident

anywhere else. You can buy property here the same as a Costa Rican,

even on a tourist visa, but it is subject to a 1-2% property tax, and

property isn't as cheap as it once was. As the result of the dollar

depreciation, Costa Rica is now the third cheapest country in the world

in which to live according to the 2007 Mercer index (only Ecuador and

Paraguay are cheaper).

In Panamแ, $500 per month at age 65 will qualify you for a permanent

residency, good for the rest of your life, but you have to demonstrate

once each year that you are still receiving the $500 per month income.

If you do that, renewal cannot be denied unless you have been convicted

of a deportable offense or cannot demonstrate financial competency.

Once you have a residency, you must be present in the country for at

least six months per year (unless you are under an investor or

reforestation visa, and then it is only one day per year). Panamแ

allows residencies in other countries as well. There is no censos in

Panamแ, and residents can move around or leave the country at will.

Foreigners can own property there, and you can buy one even on a

tourist

visa.

In Nicaragua, $400 per month (or sufficient demonstrated investment

income) at age 45 will qualify you for a Pensionado residency, but you

have to demonstrate annually that you still meet the qualifications

under which you received your pensionado. It is almost never denied,

and can be legally challenged if it is - they want you in the country,

bringing in and spending that Yankee dollar. You can be a resident of

Nicaragua regardless of residency elsewhere, and can maintain a

residency in Nicaragua without even being present as long as you have a

Nicaraguan address you can demonstrate is legitimate. The process of

obtaining a residency is fast and easy, and you can have a c้dula in

your pocket in as little as two weeks. There is no censos in Nicaragua,

and residents can travel around the country and move at will. Leaving

the country as a resident requires an exit visa, issued by the local

police headquarters, who merely checks to see of there is a denuncio or

judgement against you. You can buy property there as a tourist or

resident, same as a Nica, and rural property is dirt cheap - $3 per

meter even with utilities. Urban real estate is another matter however

- it is almost as expensive as stateside nowadays - the gringos are

moving in fast.

I was looking at Thailand, but decided against it based on the problems

you have cited, plus the political events of the last few months."

Have several friends living in Costa Rica now who do the 90 day visa run (72 hours out of country).

I looked at several 2 and 3 bdrm places in guarded communities at $400 to 1200.

I would rather pay more for security and comfort and like being able to only fly a few hours and be

back in my own country.

Most are renting 1 to 3 bdrm places from $300 to $700. Real Estate every other person you meet there will

be trying to sell you property and the prices were more than I would pay in the U.S.

I personally want no property outside of my home country or even if there, only at foreclosure prices.

To easy to rent and move on when you don't like things anymore. Let someone else have the taxes and upkeep

headaches or worry about not paying taxes on the rented property which is common in Thailand.

I want to see the world not one little plot of it.

Living expenses even when in hotels on holidays is my cheapest expense.

If I had to live cheap I would keep working and try to figure out why I was such a idot most of my life to be

in such situation.

Of course there are no really cool place in Thailand year round, but Pattaya and everything in Isaan and the North are pleasant during winter - about November through February.

Here's my tip - stay up all night and sleep all day, and the country will seem far cooler and generally more pleasant. (alas with the depressing anti-night-owl drive of the Thai government over the last decade, the only place you can realistically stay up all night as god intended is Pattaya).

The answer to your question is no, but you already knew that. I would suggest you spend the summer in the Colorado Rockies and the winter in Key West, Florida.

Yes, that's right. And be prepared to multiple your monthly budget at least 5 folds.

In the late '60s, Key West, the most southern tip of the US were flooded with hippies. Now it's a popular getthings place for gays.

that's an understatement twinkelbell

A nice place for living are the mountains in the north of Bali. I build there a house in 600 m above sea. Just 11 km tho Lovina. The climate there is very good, like Chiang Mai in January: Cool nights (17 - 19 o) and warm days (25 -30 o). I have a beautiful view of the whole north coast, can go up to the coldmountains (just 30 minutes by motor bike) or go for swimming, diving or fishing (only 20 minutes by moto bike).

Cost of living are the same as in Thailand. However Indonesia has earthquakes, vulcanos and islamic terrorists (but terrorists you have today everywhere). The Balines people are nice and friendly and the quality of living for expats is excellent. By the way: Bali is one of the nicest island in the world...

Ah, yes, the infamous anti-night owl drive of the government. We know it well.

I should think you would have noticed that before about 2000 or 2001 the bars were open all night, and now they close at the ridiculous hour of one or two AM.

going back to the original q, am surprised JR has dismissed the area west ofChiang Mai. I haven't been to Pai but have stayed in Mae Hon Song. Beautiful place and the first and only time I wished for a heater to take the edge off the night time chill - must have been about 10 deg C. Days were hot but not scorching, evenings a time to look for a jacket or jumper. This was Jan/Feb.

rych

I moved to khao yai 3 months ago and I visit my office in pathum thani every week. I feel very happy and relaxed when I am approaching the mountain area of khao yai. The temperature in khao yai is much lower compared to bangkok.

Only in april we had to open the aircon in the bedrooms, the other months a fan was more than enough. Our place has mountains all around, many days we have a cool wind. There are lots of resorts around and western food is easy to find.

For me this is heaven.

rono

I like the sound of that!! We built our retirement home near Pakchong (Phupimarn resort) and that is why my brother-in-law recommended the area. He saw how much trouble I had handling the heat in the village outside of Korat. :o

Actually it gets very nippy in Udon that time of year, at the moment it's not nippy at that this time of year.

I remember it getting in the 40s when I was stationed there in '75. The heating system for my off-base residence consisted of sitting outside in the sun!

Actually it gets very nippy in Udon that time of year, at the moment it's not nippy at that this time of year.

I remember it getting in the 40s when I was stationed there in '75. The heating system for my off-base residence consisted of sitting outside in the sun!

JR Texas: Thanks for all of the informative posts on Thailand and several other countries.........interesting stuff. I think, as far as Thailand goes, I have to go spend some time looking around Khao Yai and Mae Hon Song.