Nong Bua Lamphu school lets staff and pupils dress according to their gender identity

webfact

3 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I have an opinion; like many others.

I don't think gender can actually be changed, no matter how you "identify", or whatever surgery or hormone treatment one undergoes.

How you "identify" and dress is entirely up to the individual.

My opinion may be narrow, uninformed or simply different to yours. Either way I, there it is; make of it what you will. I am simply not interested in this argument. It is pointless getting involved.

You say " gender cannot be changed"

The subjects in the OP, just as everyone else around the world, have been proved (almost definately) to have gender defined in the brain. The majority of us have been fortunate enough to have genitalia to match the brain defined gender.

So, you can't change the brain. Something else must be changed.

4 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

You say " gender cannot be changed"

The subjects in the OP, just as everyone else around the world, have been proved (almost definately) to have gender defined in the brain. The majority of us have been fortunate enough to have genitalia to match the brain defined gender.

So, you can't change the brain. Something else must be changed.

I have a friend in the UK, in fact one of my oldest friends, of 35+ years standing, who some 15 years ago declared that she was "transitioning" from male to female.

10 years ago she had surgery (in Phuket actually) to effect the physical transformation. This was allied to very large doses of hormone therapy ( which resulted in her growing breast tissue - of course they don't function as breasts). The end result was pretty horrific, for the first couple of years she frankly looked as if she had gone 3 rounds with Mike Tyson! Physically, well I have never seen the results, but I understand that her penis and testicles were removed, a (sort of) vagina was constructed, connected to her bladder. This together with the ongoing hormone treatment has resulted in some significant health problems including frequent incontinence. There is no sexual function, male or female, whatsoever. The health problems are quite far reaching, and nearly killed her last year, she requires constant medical interventions to live a normal life.

She (I call her that because that is how she identifies, not because of how her body has been mangled) is a very intelligent person. She is in fact a leading barrister in the field of establishing and maintaining the rights of Transgender people, and fighting discrimination. If you follow such matters in the British media you will probably have heard and seen her.

Now she identifies as a woman, dresses as a woman and lives a spinster life as a woman. Mentally formidable, although at times obsessed - our friendship very nearly did not survive Brexit!

Physically, I am sorry to say, she is a mess - really almost a freak. Changing her physical sex - well she didn't really - has not done her any favours.

I would argue, based on what happened to my friend, that if one's genitalia do not match the brain defined gender, no amount of surgery or interventions will help. Before her transition she was not openly (or even clandestinely) homosexual - and I know her as well as most. She has never had any relationships, beyond friendships, either as a man or as a woman.

I really think the physical side of her "transgender experience" has been rather tragic, I suspect that, in her own mind, although she would never admit it, she feels the same.

Edited by herfiehandbag

18 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I have a friend in the UK, in fact one of my oldest friends, of 35+ years standing, who some 15 years ago declared that she was "transitioning" from male to female.

10 years ago she had surgery (in Phuket actually) to effect the physical transformation. This was allied to very large doses of hormone therapy ( which resulted in her growing breast tissue - of course they don't function as breasts). The end result was pretty horrific, for the first couple of years she frankly looked as if she had gone 3 rounds with Mike Tyson! Physically, well I have never seen the results, but I understand that her penis and testicles were removed, a (sort of) vagina was constructed, connected to her bladder. This together with the ongoing hormone treatment has resulted in some significant health problems including frequent incontinence. There is no sexual function, male or female, whatsoever. The health problems are quite far reaching, and nearly killed her last year, she requires constant medical interventions to live a normal life.

She (I call her that because that is how she identifies, not because of how her body has been mangled) is a very intelligent person. She is in fact a leading barrister in the field of establishing and maintaining the rights of Transgender people, and fighting discrimination. If you follow such matters in the British media you will probably have heard and seen her.

Now she identifies as a woman, dresses as a woman and lives a spinster life as a woman. Mentally formidable, although at times obsessed - our friendship very nearly did not survive Brexit!

Physically, I am sorry to say, she is a mess - really almost a freak. Changing her physical sex - well she didn't really - has not done her any favours.

I would argue, based on what happened to my friend, that if one's genitalia do not match the brain defined gender, no amount of surgery or interventions will help. Before her transition she was not openly (or even clandestinely) homosexual - and I know her as well as most. She has never had any relationships, beyond friendships, either as a man or as a woman.

I really think the physical side of her "transgender experience" has been rather tragic, I suspect that, in her own mind, although she would never admit it, she feels the same.

That sounds more like medical negligence.

I know of a few people who have very successfully transitioned.

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Not at all.  But being conservative generally means being resistant to change. 

Of course.  Being conservative is to say "things are good the way they are", while being progressive is to say "we need to change things to make them better".  Both can be good or bad.

The point is that it is illogical to suggest that because one group of people was made to feel uncomfortable in the past by a change that you think is positive, that someone being uncomfortable a proposed change now must mean the change is good.

Just because "they said the same thing about homosexuals", it doesn't mean the circumstances, or their objections, are the same.