New Blog: - AA service work

Andy F

Dear friends

I really enjoyed writing this new blog. Its called: "AA service work"

https://aaforagnostics.com/blog/aa-service-work/

With regard to service work in AA, I was inspired by an article that Bill Wilson wrote for the Grapevine magazine in 1958. He gave it the title, "The Next Frontier: Emotional Sobriety." It's available free online.

It helped me understand that with the help of the twelve steps, I can love and serve my fellow alcoholics as an agnostic. According to Bill, if service in AA is offered unconditionally, it becomes "The primary healing circuit." No need to believe in the traditional idea of God, to benefit from the transformative power of service.

Have a great day everyone!

image.jpeg.6bd8ef46604ab8f5a81a6bf14df13aab.jpeg

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed in this blog do not necessarily represent AA's beliefs, opinions, and practices. What I have shared with you are my own experiences of recovery from alcoholism. The suggestions I became willing to take have led me, an agnostic alcoholic, to a meaningful and contented sobriety.

• Love It 1

I was inspired by reading p97 of the AA book. 

“Practical experience shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drink as intensive work with other alcoholics. It works when other activities fail."

Tbh, I do it more to save myself from drinking, but it's also an amazing experience to see AA meeting start around the local community. 

When I moved to Isarn many years ago, there were no AA meetings. After a couple of years there were over 35. 

I had an article published in the Grapevine. If you want to read it, message me. 

• Love It 1

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I was inspired by reading p97 of the AA book. 

“Practical experience shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drink as intensive work with other alcoholics. It works when other activities fail."

Tbh, I do it more to save myself from drinking, but it's also an amazing experience to see AA meeting start around the local community. 

When I moved to Isarn many years ago, there were no AA meetings. After a couple of years there were over 35. 

I had an article published in the Grapevine. If you want to read it, message me. 

Hi Neeranam. I would certainly be interested in reading your Grapevine article. Have a great 24! 

• 4 months later...
On 6/15/2023 at 11:43 AM, Neeranam said:

Regarding doing the step without the belief in God, I have an audio of a workshop somewhere by Santikaro, a famous monk, for Buddhist alcoholics. It's in Thai language. 

No where in the AA 12 step program outlined in both the Big Book and the 12 and 12 does it say you have to believe in God. It never says you HAVE TOO!!

Simply and open mindedness to a have spiritual experience by going through and doing the steps. This spiritual experience amounts to contact with Higher Power, Power Greater, Spirit of the Universe etc etc personal to the individual. A Power Greater of ones own understanding.

It makes me chuckle but also kind of sad to see that "agnostic" or "secular" groups start up when they really don't even need to. All they needed to do is actually study carefully the Big Book Chapter "We Agnostics" and notice a couple simple directions. They jump to conclusions when they see the word God, keep their minds shut clinging to prejudice and write AA off as all about the conventional idea of God.

This is from my blog post extracting the specific instructions found in the program portion of the Big Book (first 164pgs)

Step 2: Information/Directions: Chapters: "There is a Solution" (from page 25 on) and "We Agnostics"

Direction 1: Pg 46: We found that as soon as we were able to lay aside prejudice and express even a willingness to believe in a Power greater than ourselves, we commenced to get results, even though it was impossible for any of us to fully define or comprehend that Power, which is God.

Direction 2 Page 47: We needed to ask ourselves but one short question.“Do I now believe, or am I even willing to believe,that there is a Power greater than myself?’’ 

Nowhere does it say you HAVE TO believe. Even a willingness to believe is enough to do step 2. If someone isn't even willing to believe than that is nothing but closed mindedness and holding on to old ideas. Something that we see in "How it Works" as being a big warning!

At some of these we balked. We thought we could find an easier, softer way. But we could not. With all the earnestness at our command, we beg of you to be fearless and thorough from the very start. Some of us have tried to hold on to our old ideas and the result was nil until we let go absolutely.

It seems most of the staunch agnostics and atheists that hang around the fellowship (of course they are allowed to and never discouraged from attending due to tradition)  have made a big mistake.

They continue to rely on themselves to try to understand the AA program and rely on themselves to stay sober instead of surrendering to the simple program. Id be curious, since these secular or agnostic AA groups are around and quite small how much success they actually have in producing long term sobriety results. How many actual members are there in this fringe sect of AA and are they staying sober?

Edited by likerdup1

56 minutes ago, likerdup1 said:

Simply and open mindedness to a have spiritual experience by going through and doing the steps. This spiritual experience amounts to contact with Higher Power, Power Greater, Spirit of the Universe etc etc personal to the individual. A Power Greater of ones own understanding.

Comments/gobbledygook like that drive me to drink!

Edited by scottiejohn

59 minutes ago, likerdup1 said:

No where in the AA 12 step program outlined in both the Big Book and the 12 and 12 does it say you have to believe in God. It never says you HAVE TOO!!

It makes me chuckle but also kind of sad to see that "agnostic" or "secular" groups start up when they really don't even need to. All they needed to do is actually study carefully the Big Book Chapter "We Agnostics" and notice a couple simple directions. They jump to conclusions when they see the word God, keep their minds shut clinging to prejudice and write AA off as all about the conventional idea of God.

This is from my blog post extracting the specific instructions found in the program portion of the Big Book (first 164pgs)

Step 2: Information/Directions: Chapters: "There is a Solution" (from page 25 on) and "We Agnostics"

Direction 1: Pg 46: We found that as soon as we were able to lay aside prejudice and express even a willingness to believe in a Power greater than ourselves, we commenced to get results, even though it was impossible for any of us to fully define or comprehend that Power, which is God.

Direction 2 Page 47: We needed to ask ourselves but one short question.“Do I now believe, or am I even willing to believe,that there is a Power greater than myself?’’ 

Nowhere does it say you HAVE TO believe. Even a willingness to believe is enough to do step 2. If someone isn't even willing to believe than that is nothing but closed mindedness and holding on to old ideas. Something that we see in "How it Works" as being a big warning!

At some of these we balked. We thought we could find an easier, softer way. But we could not. With all the earnestness at our command, we beg of you to be fearless and thorough from the very start. Some of us have tried to hold on to our old ideas and the result was nil until we let go absolutely.

It seems most of the staunch agnostics and atheists that hang around the fellowship (of course they are allowed to and never discouraged from attending due to tradition)  have made a big mistake.

They continue to rely on themselves to try to understand the AA program and rely on themselves to stay sober instead of surrendering to the simple program. Id be curious, since these secular or agnostic AA groups are around and quite small how much success they actually have in producing long term sobriety results. How many actual members are there in this fringe sect of AA and are they staying sober?

It never says you have to quit drinking either. 

15 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

"...that we are willing to grow along spiritual lines."?

That is the underlying principle of AA's solution for members to get recovery from alcoholism. Forgive me but let me point out you didn't answer my question. Why would AA say anyone has to quit drinking? Are you a member? If so I would hope you know AA is NOT a temperance movement. AA is for people who want help.

Edited by likerdup1

15 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

It gave me a very good reason to order another Chang!

I hope you enjoy it. I used to love to drink but at one point about 35 years ago I lost control of my drinking and became an alcoholic. I needed help and I am forever grateful AA was there to provide the help.

Edited by likerdup1

1 hour ago, likerdup1 said:

That is the underlying principle of AA's solution for members to get recovery from alcoholism.

Really? What a coincidence.

1 hour ago, likerdup1 said:

Forgive me but let me point out you didn't answer my question. Why would AA say anyone has to quit drinking? Are you a member? If so I would hope you know AA is NOT a temperance movement. AA is for people who want help.

You said: "No where in the AA 12 step program outlined in both the Big Book and the 12 and 12 does it say you have to believe in God. It never says you HAVE TOO!!" 

My response was: "It never says you have to quit drinking either."

Sorry, I thought it was clear, have you been drinking? What is it that confuses you about my response?