Sidewalks on Huay Kaew Road from Ram to Maya

sqwakvfr

Are there any retired Civil Engineers or Urban Planners out there?  I ask because both the north and south sidewalks on Huay Kaew Road from Ram Hospital to Maya have been torn up and are at various stages of improvement.  I am all for civic improvement  but I have zero experience in Civil Engineering or Urban Planning and I thought it seems unusual for both sidewalks to be unwalkable or difficult to navigate at the same time. The only option for those who walk is to get on the street either with or against vehicle traffic.  

I have never seen anything like this anywhere else I have been to.  

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Probably an elaborate plot to force everyone to use the "fun" red bus route on that road. 

A civil engineer from abroad would probably be as stumped as the rest of us, maybe the theory is to finish it twice as fast, so 2043 then. 

Can't you find an alternative on the back Sois on the other side of the Ram? Less pollution for one thing, sidewalk or not. 

32 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

Probably an elaborate plot to force everyone to use the "fun" red bus route on that road. 

A civil engineer from abroad would probably be as stumped as the rest of us, maybe the theory is to finish it twice as fast, so 2043 then. 

Can't you find an alternative on the back Sois on the other side of the Ram? Less pollution for one thing, sidewalk or not. 

But the problem is the gym is on HK road.  No back way to get there.  There is a back way to Nimman.  

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

That’s why your post is amazing

Ahh Ha.  Sarcasm, a concept that I truly appreciate.  Also, I value your comments because you must be a brilliant Civil Engineer? 

Edited by sqwakvfr

15 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I have never seen anything like this anywhere else I have been to.  

All seems normal to me. Seen worse in other countries. 

Adapt or since it’s enough to complain about find another gym or just move to another area 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, novacova said:

All seems normal to me. Seen worse in other countries. 

Adapt or since it’s enough to complain about find another gym or just move to another area 

I adapt and complain at the same time. It’s called Multi-Tasking.  I walk it 6 days a week.  How many times have you walked this part of Huay Kaew Road?    At least when I was in Afghanistan there were few sidewalks so it was not an issue.  When I was in Haiti it was so crowded one could rarely see an actual sidewalk.  

Made the mistake of paying for a yearly gym membership(not a smart move in LOS).  As the saying goes “no refund for membership, sorry”.  

Edited by sqwakvfr

14 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

I walk it 6 days a week.  How many times have you walked this part of Huay Kaew Road?  

I lived there for 9 years and walked it 4 times a day everyday.  You do the math.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

adapt and complain at the same time. It’s called Multi-Tasking

Sounds only like complaining. Mind over matter is adapting, not bothered nothing to say and no complaints.

How many times have you walked this part of Huay Kaew Road?

Countless times even more often when Sukontha was open, we keep an apartment in the area and stay there for about a week every month when we come to town. Wife would insist on Sukontha and I insist we walk. But certainly not every day. There are much nicer places to go for a walk on the outer edge of the city.

Edited by novacova

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

I lived there for 9 years and walked it 4 times a day everyday.  You do the math.

So you have walked 26,000 Kilometers on Huay Kaew Road?  I walk 2 Km round trip 6 times a week. So in terms of numbers you win.  

17 minutes ago, novacova said:

Sounds only like complaining. Mind over matter is adapting, not bothered nothing to say and no complaints.

Countless times even more often when Sukontha was open, we keep an apartment in the area and stay there for about a week every month when we come to town. Wife would insist on Sukontha and I insist we walk. But certainly not every day. There are much nicer places to go for a walk on the outer edge of the city.

Great advice.  If  I ever get run over by a moped I will keep that in mind.  “Mind over matter”.  Of course anyone can say this to others but does mean one can actually practice it? Even some Monks can’t exhibit “mind over matter”.  

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Pretty sure I've read of the locals complaining on Facebook about this.  Should they find another area to live?

I don’t use Facebook, but if I did and read counter productive comments then I’d say the same thing to whoever. Though perhaps what you “pretty sure” you read may not b from locals, probably most likely business owners from Bangkok, other provinces or countries. Most of the locals are wizzing by on their motorcycles, and/or most likely avoiding the area completely. 

These are the options: Adapt and be tolerant. Complain and be frustrated. Go somewhere else and be happy.  What else is there?

Great advice.  If  I ever get run over by a moped I will keep that in mind.  “Mind over matter”.  Of course anyone can say this to others but does mean one can actually practice it? Even some Monks can’t exhibit “mind over matter”.  

It’s your choice to walk out in the street. I don’t think anyone is forcing you. If you choose the risk and get slammed then it’s on you.

Mind over matter isn’t a monk thing, it’s an aspect of human nature survival that has been diminished by recent changes of civilization, it’s cultivated in certain sectors of military and marshal arts. Everyone has it, just cultivate 

Edited by novacova

34 minutes ago, novacova said:

It’s your choice to walk out in the street. I don’t think anyone is forcing you. If you choose the risk and get slammed then it’s on you.

Mind over matter isn’t a monk thing, it’s an aspect of human nature survival that has been diminished by recent changes of civilization, it’s cultivated in certain sectors of military and marshal arts. Everyone has it, just cultivate 

Not so easy to cultivate.  Walking on this particular stretch of road is not really a choice; It is a necessity because I live in this part of town and not all outings are far enough to justify ride in a vehicle.  I never said “Mind over matter is monk thing”.  I just it used that example to say not all can master it. Very few can actually master it.  In my professional experience the phrase “grace under pressure” was the mantra.  In the end it is just another case of “we agree to disagree”.  Everyone has an opinion. 

From the city municipal news - they are in the process of putting all overhead electrical cables underground under both 2 roads Nimman & Huakaew - for cleaner look 

mrs bkk24

Edited by BKK24
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Walking on this particular stretch of road is not really a choice; It is a necessity because I live in this part of town and not all outings are far enough to justify ride in a vehicle.

It is a choice.  You have alternatives.  You just choose to eliminate the alternatives based on economics or where you choose to live.  Wake up, get real.  You're going to the gym is just another choice.  Hopefully someday you will learn what necessity really is.

Edited by Dante99
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

It is a choice.  You have alternatives.  You just choose to eliminate the alternatives based on economics or where you choose to live.  Wake up, get real.  You're going to the gym is just another choice.  Hopefully someday you will learn what necessity really is.

Wow,  you know me so well based upon a few comments.  I do not judge the choices people make because I do not judge people.   I do not know anyone on this forum.  This is a good thing.  Also, what do you know about my life, my economics, or my choices?  The answer is nothing. Conversely I know nothing about you.  This is also a good thing.  

I am wake.

I am real

I live in reality.  

It’s not like I have to prove anything but your judgement about or my life and experiences are: Completely wrong.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BKK24 said:

From the city municipal news - they are in the process of putting all overhead electrical cables underground under both 2 roads Nimman & Huakaew - for cleaner look 

mrs bkk24

Would appreciate if if you could post an url to an article about that topic.  I've been watching them tear up and now installing the new sidewalks for quite a stretch of Huay Kaew (mainly the north side west of Maya Mall) and I haven't noticed any burying of electrical wires under the new sidewalks.  And haven't seen any activity on Nimman regarding sidewalks or anything else of note.

On 6/16/2023 at 5:02 AM, sqwakvfr said:

Grab or a Tuk Tuk for a 1 Kim ride 6 days as week?  

Yes why not, or stop to complain perhaps about nothing. Be happy they fix the sidewalk in the first place.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

7 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Yes why not, or stop to complain perhaps about nothing. Be happy they fix the sidewalk in the first place.

Nothing?  It depends on perspective.  You know what that means?  

Edited by sqwakvfr

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

Would appreciate if if you could post an url to an article about that topic.  I've been watching them tear up and now installing the new sidewalks for quite a stretch of Huay Kaew (mainly the north side west of Maya Mall) and I haven't noticed any burying of electrical wires under the new sidewalks.  And haven't seen any activity on Nimman regarding sidewalks or anything else of note.

It's in thai .... here is the news

Have a nice day

mrs. bkk24

Edited by BKK24