Money in bank for extension based on marriage - minimum must be kept there whilst under consideration?

After keeping over 400k THB for at least 2 months in a bank account and then submitting an application for extension of stay, are we still required to keep at least 400k THB in the same account afterwards while the submission is under consideration (which could be for another 3w)?

I want to move the money ASAP to a different bank account that earns much higher interest. I couldn't use that account for extension of stay because the bank doesn't give a passbook for it.

Edited by omnipresent
  • Haha 2

It appears everyone is unsure. The problem is that there's no clear written rule / regulation by government that definitively answers the question.

Maybe I should have asked more specifically: Have Bangkok Immigration staff (at Chaengwattana) lately been checking bank balance (again) when applicants return to collect the extension of stay approval stamp?

I usually park my money in SCB EZ Savings account that earns 1.5%/y, so 400k THB would earn almost 500 THB over 1 month. It's a "small" amount but I'd still prefer to get it than get nothing. But the point is that all of us would rather want the freedom to do what we want with the money than to have it stuck there for longer than is necessary. What is "necessary" is the question.

Edited by omnipresent
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Most imm offices don't check.

I have never read an issue other that a warning to maintain the funds next time.

Find the desire for urgent  move funds into higher % interest rate bit ridiculous. 

Interest on 400,000 not worth considering, due to the risk with Imm, leave it there until you are all done

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, kennw said:

Interest on 400,000 not worth considering, due to the risk with Imm, leave it there until you are all done

Yes agreed however in 10 years I have never read a report of final stamp not issued due to not maintaining funds.

Yes he should maintain the fund

The small amount of interest I have pointed out is ridiculous 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The 400k needs to be in the bank on the day of application (+ previous 2 months). That is the immigration requirement.

However this "under consideration" thing may mean there is a possibility of having to do the application again so funds are needed in the bank.

This whole thing of "under consideration" stinks in my opinion because, many years ago when I first applied for an extension, the wait was two weeks or thereabouts. Under consideration has crept into the rules and may not even be official.

Perhaps someone knows if it is in the rules now?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Must be one hell of a interest rate if 1 month of 400,000 B deposit causes near panic. 

Would you be prepared to illuminate those in the dark of the bank, the type of account and the interest rate involved. I'm on retirement so would like to do something better for 7 months with 400,000 B plus I have more in a savings account that could be added.

I read some place that banks were considering raising the interest rate paid to 2% , 400,000 baht at 2% will net about 600baht. Not enough money to take a chance for IMO.

15 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

The 400k needs to be in the bank on the day of application (+ previous 2 months). That is the immigration requirement.

However this "under consideration" thing may mean there is a possibility of having to do the application again so funds are needed in the bank.

This whole thing of "under consideration" stinks in my opinion because, many years ago when I first applied for an extension, the wait was two weeks or thereabouts. Under consideration has crept into the rules and may not even be official.

It is obviously in the rules as set by the head of the Immigration Bureau under the direction of the Minister of the Interior. It applies to all Immigration divisions. It is true that how applications for extensions are to be handled is not specified in the Immigration Act (except for generalities) or even in the Police Order that lists the various extension categories and their requirements. However, it is clear that the "under consideration" process has been decreed from above, and must be followed by all immigration offices until the instructions they are under changes.

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's ridiculous. I've been married for over 32 years, lived in Thailand with her for close to 30 years and still have to wait for weeks while they decide whether I can 'visit' her. And then I have to report myself to immigration every three months as if I'm a criminal on probation.

What, exactly, do they spend a month considering? They have evidence money is in the bank, they have the Kor Ror 2 confirming we are married. What the **** is their problem?

iv'e been married 16 years. you would think that after say 10 years of marriage they would be able to look at your application and make a reasonable conclusion.

barry i see your comment was made with black font. we are gonna need you to go ahead and fill out a new application in blue. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

As said a million times before every office make their own rules, Trat have never asked to see the bank balance again, but I wouldn't empty my account until I got the Stamp in my PP. 

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Trat have never asked to see the bank balance again, but I wouldn't empty my account until I got the Stamp in my PP. 

Buriram office asked to see the bank balance again one year but for the past two years they haven't asked for it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Most imm offices don't check.

I have never read an issue other that a warning to maintain the funds next time.

Find the desire for urgent  move funds into higher % interest rate bit ridiculous. 

Udon T, always asks and sometimes surprises me with made up stuff, to check if it is still there.

16 hours ago, omnipresent said:

It's a "small" amount but I'd still prefer to get it than get nothing.

Then open a Mee Tee account with KrungSRI bank at 0.9% up to 2 million. guessing your with BKB.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, stoner said:

pathum has asked to see money for 4 years now. they have also come to visit every year. just had them out the other day. 

I guess you're referring to Pathum Thani Imm office.

I've been going to them for many years and they NEVER once enquired about the 400K after the "under consideration " period.

in fact during the covid years, and thereafter, everything is done while customers wait outside under a marquee.

Just hand in the passport to the lady at "reception/triage " on appointed day and wait outside for someone to bring it out with stamp inside !

Exactly the same procedure  for getting stamps transferred to a new PP..

Yes, they always do a home visit in the nice BMW.

I recall the late ubonJoe answering this old chesnutt many times and stating that there is NO written requirement or rule regarding the 400K other than the 2 months seasoning before the renewal application..

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's ridiculous. I've been married for over 32 years, lived in Thailand with her for close to 30 years and still have to wait for weeks while they decide whether I can 'visit' her. And then I have to report myself to immigration every three months as if I'm a criminal on probation.

What, exactly, do they spend a month considering? They have evidence money is in the bank, they have the Kor Ror 2 confirming we are married. What the **** is their problem?

Agreed .

My thai wife and I lived (me working) in Hong Kong for 20 years, but after only 7 years, got Permanent Residence /ID.

No visits to /from Immigration,  no scrutiny of  money in the bank, or reporting!

Can own property  and.live there forever.....if we wish

At Ubon, I asked what I need to bring when my under consideration ends, they said,

"Just your passport"....

So, do this and see what they say, after all, you have for filled the 60 days in the bank requirement thingy......????

7 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Agreed .

My thai wife and I lived (me working) in Hong Kong for 20 years, but after only 7 years, got Permanent Residence /ID.

No visits to /from Immigration,  no scrutiny of  money in the bank, or reporting!

Can own property  and.live there forever.....if we wish

Perhaps most of us cannot provide the requirements for that..............????

• Thumbs Up 1

At CW, I did have to show my updated passbook when I went back for the stamp, but that was only once several years ago, and they told me to bring it. 

In any event, anytime I go to CW I take all the passbooks and update them there as I never get it done otherwise. Nice to have BKK, Kasikorn and Krunsri in a row...