Cannabis addiction -- let's discuss

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

OK.

So your comments before where you incorrectly asserted that vaping weed was more harmful than smoking weed were based on a misunderstanding and lack of awareness of DRY HERB VAPING.

Yes, I was thinking about the liquid vials,  I didn't even know dry vaping was a thing. The liquid vials I was talking about have been found to be contaminated with various carcinogens and metals. My apologies.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, jvs said:

Yes you are right but like i said before it is a very individual process.

You learn what your limits are and you go from there,use or abuse.

Sure but people can potentially become addicted to a substance even if they think they are in control.

Of course different substances have different levels of physical addiction potential and level of consequences if that happens.

I could cite some personal experiences of "flirting" with more potentially dangerous addictive substances but I'd rather not share that here. Let's just say there are substances that even if you try once you can feel them creeping into your system and I suppose in some cases one use will create an addiction.

Weed is not one of those substances. 

A reason it has been described as a SOFT drug.

Edited by Jingthing

5 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

Yes, I was thinking about the liquid vials,  I didn't even know dry vaping was a thing. The liquid vials I was talking about have been found to be contaminated with various carcinogens and metals. My apologies.

Accepted. Yeah, definitely avoid that stuff you were thinking about. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/24/2023 at 11:36 AM, Jingthing said:

That's interesting.

Thanks.

You sound addicted to me.

My anecdotal report of barely noticeable physical withdrawal symptoms was based on old style weak assed ganja.

Have u read at all what i said? How can you even come to “addicted” while it clearly describes and explains the opposite.

As i travel often, i stop very often too, without issues. That doesnt mean there are no withdrawal effects. 

If i was an addict, id just get weed anywhere i went and go. As described i use it medicinal instead of ritalin, which has way more side effects, in a negative way.

You havent changed at all do you, still posting nonsense.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2

On 6/24/2023 at 12:28 PM, Jingthing said:

Sure but people can potentially become addicted to a substance even if they think they are in control.

Of course different substances have different levels of physical addiction potential and level of consequences if that happens.

I could cite some personal experiences of "flirting" with more potentially dangerous addictive substances but I'd rather not share that here. Let's just say there are substances that even if you try once you can feel them creeping into your system and I suppose in some cases one use will create an addiction.

Weed is not one of those substances. 

A reason it has been described as a SOFT drug.

Stop projecting your biased personal experiences on others aside of claiming that to be absolute truth.

i experimented with plenty of hard drugs, even still use it once a year if visiting amsterdam, never got a second of a firt with being addicted to it.

That is entirely depend person to person.

To then say some people are “addicted” is just as vague, obviously plenty of people are alcoholic or addicted and deny that.

That however says zero in general, there is just as many people who use substances regular and are not addicted at all.

If you would judge my friend on holiday here you would think he is alcoholic too, because you not see him not drinking during his 4-5 months working stint in between.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Stop projecting your biased personal experiences on others aside of claiming that to be absolute truth.

i experimented with plenty of hard drugs, even still use it once a year if visiting amsterdam, never got a second of a firt with being addicted to it.

That is entirely depend person to person.

To then say some people are “addicted” is just as vague, obviously plenty of people are alcoholic or addicted and deny that.

That however says zero in general, there is just as many people who use substances regular and are not addicted at all.

If you would judge my friend on holiday here you would think he is alcoholic too, because you not see him not drinking during his 4-5 months working stint in between.

Oh please.

It's a verifiable fact that some substances are  much move potentially addictive than others.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Oh please.

It's a verifiable fact that some substances are  much move potentially addictive than others.

Yeah it is also a verifiable fact that weed isnt one and yet illegal in many countries, while alcohol is not.

This again is nothing but BS to discuss, each person is different. Stop trying to make it sound like you are special or know better, you clearly dont.

• Like 2

Just now, ChaiyaTH said:

Yeah it is also a verifiable fact that weed isnt one and yet illegal in many countries, while alcohol is not.

This again is nothing but BS to discuss, each person is different. Stop trying to make it sound like you are special or know better, you clearly dont.

I think you're hunting for absurd things to argue about.

I never ever said weed is among the more physcially addictive substances.

It obviously is not.

I think it's time for IGNORE to come into play. I am not interested in such silly personalized games. Bye.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Geez …..this is supposed to be weed forum should be chilled relaxed with good vibe.it don’t need to be this deep/heavy and negative.

if your that worried about it don’t do it.

I ride motorcycles at high speeds around racetracks it’s extremely dangerous one mistake I could kill myself,I was doing this every other weekend for several years,,,I was grumpy ,snappy and get annoyed and frustrated if I can’t do it.

WAS THAT AN ADDICTION………off coarse not it’s a hobby/interest it’s a buzz makes you feel good just something I enjoy doing.

weed is the same it’s a pastime/hobby something I enjoy that gives me a good feeling.

18 minutes ago, taninthai said:

Geez …..this is supposed to be weed forum should be chilled relaxed with good vibe.it don’t need to be this deep/heavy and negative.

if your that worried about it don’t do it.

I ride motorcycles at high speeds around racetracks it’s extremely dangerous one mistake I could kill myself,I was doing this every other weekend for several years,,,I was grumpy ,snappy and get annoyed and frustrated if I can’t do it.

WAS THAT AN ADDICTION………off coarse not it’s a hobby/interest it’s a buzz makes you feel good just something I enjoy doing.

weed is the same it’s a pastime/hobby something I enjoy that gives me a good feeling.

I didn't say I was worried about it if you're addressing me.

I started a DISCUSSION topic about something real that does happen.

For some bizarre reason, that has offended some people. 
All they need to do in that case is not read or post to the topic. Sorted.

On 6/17/2023 at 7:55 AM, BritManToo said:

As far as I know there are no withdrawal symptoms when you stop so it can't be addictive!

Been using 0.5gm every night for the past 2 years to stop joint pain.

If I miss a night or 2 there is no downside apart from the joint pain creeping back.

Your 'reefer madness' topic title is misleading, if not misinformation.

What if joint pain goes away with light exercises and proper diet? I know that is the case for me, and many others, and also quite a few studies who proves that is the case for many who struggle with joint pain which can be out of many reasons. 

Medication in many cases do not cure anything, it just ease the symptoms, nothing else

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Maybe if people didn't have access to these vices, they would act out in violent ways.

Although some people do with alcohol anyway.

And if you're retired and drinking all day, well you don't need to be at work so it's not the same as a working age person drinking all day.

• Thumbs Up 1

Certainly not addicted. I can sometimes smoke for a few days in a row, several times a day, and then go for over a week or two without touching it at all and not feeling any craving. Not using during those times requires no self control.

Its also about levels of activity. When I have an abundance of free time I naturally think more about smoking and the action follows. Otherwise my mind is occupied elsewhere. I also work out around 4-5 days a week and I don't like the grogginess that sometimes follows an evening of smoking a lot. So I got a reason to do it less and again I would be smoking more if its on a weekend in which I dont work out.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Everyone that uses it every day knows it's not addictive. 

Most of the people that used to use it every day and quit, know it is addictive. 

For me ... Just the opposite, since using every day & stopping when wanting to, and why I 'know' it's not addictive

Habit forming, probably, and no different than my morning coffee ritual, but not physically addictive, and you won't have physical withdrawal symptoms if going 'cold turkey' from smoking ganga.  

Edited by KhunLA

9 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Everyone that uses it every day knows it's not addictive. 

Most of the people that used to use it every day and quit, know it is addictive. 

"Everyone"? "Most of the people"?

These are your opinions, right?

Or are these the result of your own personal experiences?

Or are these the results of some poll you conducted?

And they only apply to some subset of cannabis uses who "use it every day"? So for the millions of people who use cannabis responsibly, but not "every day", it is not addictive?

To me, these two statements seem overly broad and exaggerated, and thus unbelievable and unconvincing. Exaggerating a statement is always a "tell", in that the person speaking knows they are prevaricating and think that exaggeration lends credibility. It doesn't. It's always a 'tell'.

If you want cannabis to be addictive I think you can convince yourself of that opinion.

Personally, being around cannabis users for 50-ish - in half the cases, lifelong friends - years I have never, ever noticed that cannabis use was addictive, either physically or psychologically. But I have no agenda trying to "convince" people to use or not use cannabis. 

Alcohol, nicotine, cocaine, methamphetamine, opiates on the other hand are addictive and have resulted in the loss of many friends, and massively and negatively impacted society. Still waiting to attend the funeral for someone who passed from a cannabis overdose.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

And they only apply to some subset of cannabis uses who "use it every day"? So for the millions of people who use cannabis responsibly, but not "every day", it is not addictive?

To me, these two statements seem overly broad and exaggerated, and thus unbelievable and unconvincing. Exaggerating a statement is always a "tell", in that the person speaking knows they are prevaricating and think that exaggeration lends credibility. It doesn't. It's always a 'tell'.

If you want cannabis to be addictive I think you can convince yourself of that opinion.

Personally, being around cannabis users for 50-ish - in half the cases, lifelong friends - years I have never, ever noticed that cannabis use was addictive, either physically or psychologically. But I have no agenda trying to "convince" people to use or not use cannabis. 

Alcohol, nicotine, cocaine, methamphetamine, opiates on the other hand are addictive and have resulted in the loss of many friends, and massively and negatively impacted society. Still waiting to attend the funeral for someone who passed from a cannabis overdose.

So you use everyday? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So you use everyday? 

I last consumed cannabis ~ 3 weeks ago.

I have plenty on hand, and often plan to (tonight for example), but I guess I'm not "addicted", yet?

I have consumed cannabis responsibly since ~ 1969, although there were decades long periods when I did not, mostly because of employment, and periodic drug testing.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

For me ... Just the opposite, since using every day & stopping when wanting to, and why I 'know' it's not addictive

Habit forming, probably, and no different than my morning coffee ritual, but not physically addictive, and you won't have physical withdrawal symptoms if going 'cold turkey' from smoking ganga.  

Personally, I can painlessly transition from extended periods, often 6 months or more of daily use to similar periods of total abstinence,  depending on my personal circumstances, without any ill effects whatsoever.  and have been doing so for over 40 years.  

In my experience addiction has never been a "thing" and its only relatively recently that I first heard the word, "addiction" mentioned in connection to cannabis

Purely psychological in my opinion, and It strikes me that many of the people claiming to be addicted are only doing so since somebody put the idea in their heads, (these upmarket and very expensive private addiction clinics have a lot to answer for in that respect)

A self fulfilling prophecy , Its become almost fashionable, to follow celebrities into rehab, and somewhat indicative of a culture of "victimhood" and "counselling" which has been emerging generally for some time and has invaded many aspects of life. Making some people very rich in the process. 

Some people these days don't actually feel "offended"  or "traumatised" until somebody else tells them they should

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Could not have put it any better myself, good post

I often intend to indulge of an evening but don't get round to it, sometimes there are just not enough hours in a day. Hardly indicative of a physical addiction, in my not so humble opinion

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Personally, I can painlessly transition from extended periods, often 6 months or more of daily use to similar periods of total abstinence,  depending on my personal circumstances, without any ill effects whatsoever.  and have been doing so for over 40 years.  

In my experience addiction has never been a "thing" and its only relatively recently that I first heard the word, "addiction" mentioned in connection to cannabis

Purely psychological in my opinion, and It strikes me that many of the people claiming to be addicted are only doing so since somebody put the idea in their heads, (these upmarket and very expensive private addiction clinics have a lot to answer for in that respect)

A self fulfilling prophecy , Its become almost fashionable, to follow celebrities into rehab, and somewhat indicative of a culture of "victimhood" and "counselling" which has been emerging generally for some time and has invaded many aspects of life. Making some people very rich in the process. 

Some people these days don't actually feel "offended"  or "traumatised" until somebody else tells them they should

Add to the fact, it's probably a great excuse for their life's failures.

"I was addicted to weed, screwed my life up" ... ????

NO ... you're just a loser, who happen to smoke weed every now & then.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Add to the fact, it's probably a great excuse for their life's failures.

"I was addicted to weed, screwed my life up" ... ????

NO ... you're just a loser, who happen to smoke weed every now & then.

More than just life's failures, it is also a way of attempting to mitigate the fatal stabbing of peoples parents, and an alleged case of self castration etc etc

• Thumbs Up 2

43 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

I last consumed cannabis ~ 3 weeks ago.

I have plenty on hand, and often plan to (tonight for example), but I guess I'm not "addicted", yet?

I have consumed cannabis responsibly since ~ 1969, although there were decades long periods when I did not, mostly because of employment, and periodic drug testing.

So, you don't use it every day, nor did you use to use it every day and quit, so you fit neither of the categories I mentioned. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

nor did you use to use it every day and quit

Yes, I did use it every day for extended periods ranging from a few months to up to a year, and yes I did quit, several times.

7 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

so you fit neither of the categories I mentioned

I think I do, as do the hundreds of acquaintances I mentioned.

Again, your two statements were your opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

I get that you can't really defend your statements, or answer my questions, so you need to question me, another "tell".

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So, you don't use it every day, nor did you use to use it every day and quit, so you fit neither of the categories I mentioned. 

I did, but you don't address your comment to me.

Use to have 3-7+/- joints twisted up in the early morning for the day.  Smoke one for brekkie, break, lunch, break, pre & post dinner, later on, before sleep.

For at least 5 ish years, 16-21 yrs old.  Quit 30 day before entering US Army.  Started again, daily use, quit again for 30 days before applying for jobs requiring piss test.

Then just quit ... for years.  Never a withdrawal symptom at anytime quitting.   Didn't start again in Thailand till about about 10 yrs ago, and only 1 ounce purchased, lasted me 1 year +.  Now have too much to smoke, and I really don't even bother with it.  Once a month.  Not really in to it any more.  It's there if wanting, rare.

But for 5-10 yrs, early on, almost daily use, with intermittent breaks, by choice, when needed, and no 'withdrawal symptoms'

Simply accept the fact from experienced pot heads, it's not addictive.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bamnutsak said:

Yes, I did use it every day for extended periods ranging from a few months to up to a year, and yes I did quit, several times.

That's hilarious.

I think I do, as do the hundreds of acquaintances I mentioned.

So if you think it, that proves it, right? Per your own statements you don't use every day, nor did you use to use every day and quit. Quitting over and over and changing your mind when you decide to get loaded is not quitting. 

Again, your two statements were your opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

Which I am entitled to. 

I get that you can't really defend your statements, or answer my questions, so you need to question me, another "tell".

That you think (or pretend to think) you fit either of the categories I mentioned is more of a "tell". 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I did, but you don't address your comment to me.

Use to have 3-7+/- joints twisted up in the early morning for the day.  Smoke one for brekkie, break, lunch, break, pre & post dinner, later on, before sleep.

For at least 5 ish years, 16-21 yrs old.  Quit 30 day before entering US Army.  Started again, daily use, quit again for 30 days before applying for jobs requiring piss test.

Then just quit ... for years.  Never a withdrawal symptom at anytime quitting.   Didn't start again in Thailand till about about 10 yrs ago, and only 1 ounce purchased, lasted me 1 year +.  Now have too much to smoke, and I really don't even bother with it.  Once a month.  Not really in to it any more.  It's there if wanting, rare.

But for 5-10 yrs, early on, almost daily use, with intermittent breaks, by choice, when needed, and no 'withdrawal symptoms'

Simply accept the fact from experienced pot heads, it's not addictive.

So how many years has it been since quit? 

• Sad 1