A beaming Prince William is surrounded by his joyful children in a special photograph released to mark Father's Day

Prince William beams with three children in special photograph released for Father's Day.

Prince Louis, 5, has his arms around his father's shoulders as nine-year-old Prince George and Princess Charlotte, 8, sit either side.

The photograph was taken on the Windsor Estate earlier this year by Millie Pilkington.

This year marks the first time William will mark the occasion with his father as monarch.

It comes after King Charles marked his first Trooping the Colour as sovereign with a Buckingham Palace balcony appearance.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

You must be aware that the Duke of Cornwall is Prince William  and the Duchy of Cornwall is managed by Prince William so your statement income from land that the king rents out. is incorrect

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Cornwall

Sorry, yes I am a little out of date a few months ago it belonged to the king.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Brickleberry said:

The irony... do you understand democracy. Britain has never held a referendum on the monarchy, so we don't actually know what the results would be.

But a referendum was, of course, held in 2016, when the majority voted for the UK to have nothing more to do with that 20th Century dinosaur relic called the EU. So can I take it that, consistent with your belief in democracy, you are applauding the fact that the UK is no longer being forced to write blank cheques to enable the autocratic elites who are responsible for running that shambolic organisation with minimal regard to democratic principles to live extravagant lifestyles in gilded palaces located in Brussels and Strasbourg?

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, OJAS said:

But a referendum was, of course, held in 2016, when the majority voted for the UK to have nothing more to do with that particular 20th Century dinosaur relic called the EU. So can I take it that, consistent with your belief in democracy, you are applauding the fact that the UK is no longer being forced to write blank cheques to enable the autocratic elites who are responsible for running that shambolic organisation with minimal regard to democratic principles to live extravagant lifestyles in gilded palaces located in Brussels and Strasbourg?

What does that have to do with this story? This is about the monarchy, not Brexit. Stay on topic.

• Haha 2

On 6/18/2023 at 12:55 PM, Brickleberry said:

Ridiculous. They do not 'bring in' any taxes or visitors. People visit the UK to see the buildings etc. They do not get to meet the king or queen. In fact, they cost the country a lot of money, despite earning handsome sums from land that has been gifted to them over the centuries.

How can you justify the existence of privileged people in this day and age? We are supposed to all be born equal, right?

For those aged 65+, there is strong support for monarchy, with 77% of those in that age bracket in support. For those younger than 65, support drops to 32%, according to YouGov polls: https://yougov.co.uk/topics/society/articles-reports/2023/05/03/where-does-public-opinion-stand-monarchy-ahead-cor 

Feels like it's just a matter of time before they are finally kicked out of their gilded palaces.

The Monarchy does not cost the country a lot if money, as you claim. Have a read.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/sovereign-grant-act-2011-guidance/sovereign-grant-act-2011-guidance

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 12:42 PM, Brickleberry said:

Swearing allegiance is a promise to be loyal and defend the country, institution or person to which you are making the oath to. Where would your loyalty lies if the king asked you to help him become a true monarch with total power? Who would you side with? The British people, or the king?

I didn't vote for him,

I want to be in an autonomous collective!

9 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

You obviously didn't read the link.

The monarchy are net contributors to the UK economy by circa 200m per year. 

200 million isn't alot of money?

I don't think you get it. Where does that money come from? It comes from income on land that the royal family 'owns'.  Your also not including the 100 million + that has been spent on renovating Buckingham Palace recently.

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2023/5/2/how-much-does-the-british-royal-family-cost-its-complicated

At the end of the day, they have been given everything. You can say "oh, they contribute to the economy" but that ignores the fact that the income they generate is from land stolen from the British people.

You might also be aware that the King only pays tax on a voluntary basis - he does not pay any inheritance tax (he should have paid over 400 million to inherit his mothers wealth). The Prince of wales and his wife are also tax exempt. They do not pay any inheritance, capital gains or income taxes. They voluntarily pay some taxes on the sovereign wealth grant, but that's it.

People talk about the good work they do for charity - well, seeing as they get a truck load of free money, giving a little bit of that free money back to people who actually need it isn't a bad thing, but it shouldn't be praised as a selfless act. It costs them absolutely nothing to do it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

I don't think you get it. Where does that money come from? It comes from income on land that the royal family 'owns'.  Your also not including the 100 million + that has been spent on renovating Buckingham Palace recently.

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2023/5/2/how-much-does-the-british-royal-family-cost-its-complicated

At the end of the day, they have been given everything. You can say "oh, they contribute to the economy" but that ignores the fact that the income they generate is from land stolen from the British people.

You might also be aware that the King only pays tax on a voluntary basis - he does not pay any inheritance tax (he should have paid over 400 million to inherit his mothers wealth). The Prince of wales and his wife are also tax exempt. They do not pay any inheritance, capital gains or income taxes. They voluntarily pay some taxes on the sovereign wealth grant, but that's it.

People talk about the good work they do for charity - well, seeing as they get a truck load of free money, giving a little bit of that free money back to people who actually need it isn't a bad thing, but it shouldn't be praised as a selfless act. It costs them absolutely nothing to do it. 

Oh dear. 

You clearly do not check before you speak. Income tax is in the link. Inheritance tax is not applicable as Charles inherited crown possessions as he is the next monarch. He can't sell what he inherited.

Look at the link again. 3 billion pounds in 10 years. Easily pays for the renovations to Buckingham Palace. Less than money paid on renovating council houses. Are those living in council houses privileged?

It would be logical for you to provide evidence that the likes of Windsor Castle and Tower of London, as example, were stolen from the British people, in order to back your claim.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

Oh dear. 

You clearly do not check before you speak. Income tax is in the link. Inheritance tax is not applicable as Charles inherited crown possessions as he is the next monarch. He can't sell what he inherited.

Look at the link again. 3 billion pounds in 10 years. Easily pays for the renovations to Buckingham Palace. Less than money paid on renovating council houses. Are those living in council houses privileged?

It would be logical for you to provide evidence that the likes of Windsor Castle and Tower of London, as example, were stolen from the British people, in order to back your claim.

As your link states - income tax is completely voluntary, did you read it? Here's another source: https://taxscouts.com/blog/does-uk-tax-go-to-the-royal-family/

Look again at the link... for what, pray tell? Again. You are ignoring the most basic fact - nothing they have is actually theirs, it has all been handed to them. There is an abundance of evidence of their thievery over the centuries - just ask India about the diamonds in the crown, you can read many more examples here: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/the-royal-family-stole-its-27336820

People who live in council houses pay rent, and therefore are entitled to regular maintenance of their homes. Does the king pay rent for any of his palaces? Nope. Is it a privilege to have a home that you do not own, but pay rent to live in maintained? Nope. That's common practice in the private and public housing sectors.

It would be logical for you to tell me why they shouldn't pay any taxes (they only pay a minute amount of what they 'owe' voluntarily, why they should keep all of their ill gotten gains, and why they deserve to be given everything in life whilst the rest of us must work for what is ours.

Furthermore, how on earth do you explain to kids that they can't ever be like one of these people? We're teaching our kids that some people are better than others automatically by birth. This is a disgrace. Most of the democratic world has gotten rid of their 'royalty', it is high time we did the same.

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

As your link states - income tax is completely voluntary, did you read it? Here's another source: https://taxscouts.com/blog/does-uk-tax-go-to-the-royal-family/

Look again at the link... for what, pray tell? Again. You are ignoring the most basic fact - nothing they have is actually theirs, it has all been handed to them. There is an abundance of evidence of their thievery over the centuries - just ask India about the diamonds in the crown, you can read many more examples here: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/the-royal-family-stole-its-27336820

People who live in council houses pay rent, and therefore are entitled to regular maintenance of their homes. Does the king pay rent for any of his palaces? Nope. Is it a privilege to have a home that you do not own, but pay rent to live in maintained? Nope. That's common practice in the private and public housing sectors.

It would be logical for you to tell me why they shouldn't pay any taxes (they only pay a minute amount of what they 'owe' voluntarily, why they should keep all of their ill gotten gains, and why they deserve to be given everything in life whilst the rest of us must work for what is ours.

Furthermore, how on earth do you explain to kids that they can't ever be like one of these people? We're teaching our kids that some people are better than others automatically by birth. This is a disgrace. Most of the democratic world has gotten rid of their 'royalty', it is high time we did the same.

Oh dear. How sad. Never mind. 

You just don't get the simple theory of the Sovereign Grant. I've tried to explain but you won't accept the fundamental concept. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, youreavinalaff said:

Oh dear. How sad. Never mind. 

You just don't get the simple theory of the Sovereign Grant. I've tried to explain but you won't accept the fundamental concept. 

I completely get it. It's not that hard. They get free money from portfolios that they don't actually own - or maintain. Basically, they win the lottery every year without even having to purchase a ticket.

Notable that you didn't disagree with any of their thievery or answered any of the other points.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Brickleberry said:

I completely get it. It's not that hard. They get free money from portfolios that they don't actually own - or maintain. Basically, they win the lottery every year without even having to purchase a ticket.

Notable that you didn't disagree with any of their thievery or answered any of the other points.

There is no point replying. You have your, incorrect, assessment in your head and you are not going to change.

I did ask you for evidence they stole Windsor Castle and Tower of London, as examples. You didn't reply.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

There is no point replying. You have your, incorrect, assessment in your head and you are not going to change.

I did ask you for evidence they stole Windsor Castle and Tower of London, as examples. You didn't reply.

quote "There is no point replying. You have your, incorrect, assessment in your head and you are not going to change."

That is the main reason why I have simply ignored him.

I read the thread but I simply cannot be bothered with responding to his inane replies.

I suggested that he personally starts a referendum in the UK on the subject of abolishing the Royal Family and what he calls "entitled people. He has not yet responded to rhay suggestion.

Edited by billd766
added extra text

17 hours ago, billd766 said:

quote "There is no point replying. You have your, incorrect, assessment in your head and you are not going to change."

That is the main reason why I have simply ignored him.

I read the thread but I simply cannot be bothered with responding to his inane replies.

I suggested that he personally starts a referendum in the UK on the subject of abolishing the Royal Family and what he calls "entitled people. He has not yet responded to rhay suggestion.

I responded to that previously, apparently you didn't read it. How on earth are my points 'silly' (inane)? They are based on facts.

You have all previously admitted that the duchy of Lancaster & Cornwall do not belong to the crown, nor do any of the estates, jewels etc. If they have no ownership of these portfolios, why do they maintain an income from them, whilst at the same time, living in the properties for free and expecting the state to step in and pay for maintenance of the palaces? Why do some members of the royal family pay taxes voluntarily -  while the rest of the British public must pay taxes?

If you guys are OK with bringing up your kids to bow before someone else's kids, based only on whose womb they came out of, and If you don't understand the basic principle that everyone should be treated equally, then there's no point in discussing this at all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2