Bangkok warned of quake risks for pre-2007 buildings amid Myanmar tremors

webfact

image.jpeg

In light of a recent 6.0-magnitude earthquake that struck Myanmar‘s southern coast, the Thai Department of Mineral Resources (DMR) has issued a warning that Bangkok buildings constructed prior to the 2007 building code revision could potentially suffer damage from future quakes.

The capital’s high-rise buildings experienced the effects of the seismic activity from Myanmar, whose epicentre was approximately 490 kilometres west of Bangkok.

DMR chief, Oranuj Lorphensri, highlighted that the recent earthquake’s epicentre was located along Myanmar’s 1,200-kilometre-long Sagaing fault, a highly active seismic region. Historical data indicates that tectonic activities along the fault have produced significant earthquakes, including ten incidents measuring over 6.8 magnitude between 1905 and 2012. The DMR’s latest forecast predicts a potential 7.5-magnitude quake around 2030.

Oranuj Lorphensri stressed that “older buildings might sustain some minor damage, like small cracks,” while newer structures should not be significantly impacted. Thailand has 16 active faults traversing 23 provinces. Of the earthquakes recorded between 1912 and 2022, six were caused by Thailand’s faults, while 46 originated from external regional faults in Myanmar and China’s Yunnan province, Khaosod reported.

by Mitch Connor

Picture courtesy of Channel News Thailand

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/bangkok-warned-of-quake-risks-for-pre-2007-buildings-amid-myanmar-tremors

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

I rented a condo for two years in Asoke.  It was built in 1995.  The walls were all solid what I believe concrete. 
But I’m guessing it depends on more than that , such as the foundation. 

Still having my California general contractor's license (on inactive) I will point out that with earthquakes it's not bulk or size that matters but rather sheer value, what happens when a structure is subjected to extreme sideways lateral forces. I hope Bangkok never finds out.