Issan Is Turning Me Into A Boozer

Issangeorge

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too drink to much while staying in Isaan. On my behalf the price has nothing to do with it.

Generally I drink no more or no less than I've always done (since 17 y.o. anyway). However, drinking 6 pints per night in the UK at 4% abv is less than drinking 6 pints per day in Thailand at 5.4% abv. However, I have changed my drinking habits. In UK I rarely took a beer before 7 pm after finishing w*rk. In Thailand I usually have the first beer at midday and end up in bed by 8 pm.

in bed or on floor of sing a song :o:D:D

Just after 5pm yesterday I opened my usual small bottle of Beer Leo and took my first guzzle. It tasted different.

It was the first bottle out of a new carton. A little detective work was in order. Luckily my wife keeps my empty bottles in sacks for sale to the bottle collectors.

Firstly,the labels have changed, different artwork and writing.

More importantly,

old bottle, bottled 12/4/07, alcohol content 5.4%

new bottle, bottled 9/7/07, alcohol content 5.0 %

It may be my imagination or failing memory, but I think the taste has changed a lot. New version seems less malty and different hopping, shorter finish. A shame as I think Leo was by far the best locally brewed beer.

Is the change purely a commercial decision, or is the drop in alcohol related to the current government campaign against alcohol?

By the way, its not easy to buy cartons of small bottles of Leo around here (Mukdahan). Maybe because the locals buy large bottles to pour over ice. I was in Tesco a few months back and they refused point blank to sell me a carton, but I was able to buy 48 individual bottles! Presumably they are delivered to the store in cartons and are kept out the back in cartons, just not for sale in cartons. Amazing Thailand.

I went to a friend's funeral last year. His wife told me to look behind the casket. There was a bottle of Sing in a condom. She then told me she puts a new cold one there each afternoon, just in case he gets thirsty. She did this for seven days before the cremation. She knew how much her husband enjoyed his cold beer in the afternoon.

• 1 month later...
I went to a friend's funeral last year. His wife told me to look behind the casket. There was a bottle of Sing in a condom. She then told me she puts a new cold one there each afternoon, just in case he gets thirsty. She did this for seven days before the cremation. She knew how much her husband enjoyed his cold beer in the afternoon.

Pinched this again . Thanks Yorkie

I was already a boozer, Isaan just helps me hone the skill... :o

totster :D

I agree Toaster my drinking skills were honed and refined more than before ...I meet my fellow expats at a local spot in the bush at a barrel pump gas station and induldge in the local pass time after a day of relaction

I treat my body as a temple, nothing that is good for me will pass my lips.

Breakfast = selection of fruit = Melon, Grape, Orange Bicardi Breezer

Lunch = Traditional Issan = Som Tam and Lao Khow

Dinner = Falang = Chang starter followed by beef steak in a song sam and mushroom sauce with veg lightly

broiled in tequilla followed by peaches marinated in vodaka for dessert.

Supper = As many beers as I care to drink

After Supper = Banging on the now closed local shop's doors demanding more beer

After After Supper = The wife telling me that I am never never gonna get it again

Breakfast = "Oi woman wheres me breakfast"