Issan Is Turning Me Into A Boozer

Issangeorge

Well I stayed drunk for three years at one time in my life, never had a hangover till I quit and that was a doozy.

I still drink whenever I want to. just seem to want to about every six months. I enjoy talking with people at the Pubs, I also enjoy leaving when they get to drunk and everything is wrong with Thailand and the world. Used to drive Thai's crazy with drinking water and sodas at an bars, but they forgave me. I put more effort into taking the girls home serving the beer then drinking booze. Oh well each to his own I guess.

I kind of lost the drift of this thread here, was it about drinking to much or one heck of a deal on beer :o

Edited by ray23

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After nearly 5 years as a young soldier on the native wild and woolly Frontiers of Isaan in the early60,s ,I cultivated a taste for vintage Lao khao( had to be at least 2 weeks old)never could develop a liking for Singha or Chang, I hardly consume any alcohol at all these days, but I do run the best still in Queensland, my 5 year old Sipping whisky is as smooth as a babies bum, is hardly inflammable and wont strip paint :D I intend bringing a few bottles for Gwertz to sample in phuket in september, sadly my still in leong nok tha is no more :D , a mixture of Wigan wisdom and Thai finesse managed to turn it into a rocke :o t , last seen heading for the laos border at about 3000feet followed by a blueflame :D Nignoy

Rolling over in laughter what are the odds that this would show up in the nation today

"Published on July 16, 2007

Foundation records show low-income drinkers in 203 households in five villages in Tambon Tra Saeng in Muang district of Surin spent more than Bt500,000 on alcohol in a three-month period last year.

The data showed 47 cases of battery and illness related to drinking in a one-year period.

Housewife and drinker Anong Sanusant said the statistics were an eye-opener.

"We would have gone broke if everyone still indulged themselves with vice, consumerism and materialism," she said.

Anong is one of 44 women and 159 men registered as alcoholics at the local ThaiHealth office.

Heavy drinking is common in Surin, so much so it is often commented on in other provinces. A local limerick translates to "if you go to Surin, drink or become a dog".

Anong's husband and village chief Rerm is angry at his drinking habits over the past 30 years. "I spent about Bt50,000 a year. If I hadn't, it would be a lot of money now."

Rerm viewed drinking as "tradition". His parents distilled moonshine. "There was always plenty of liquor and moonshine at village head and kamnan meetings," he added.

ThaiHealth is encouraging the villagers to replace alcohol with coconut milk at rituals and other celebrations and this has been accepted by the elders.

The drinking culture is fading at funerals, ordinations and merit-making events, too.

Suphaphorn Thongsuk, 70, said she could never have dreamed of a funeral without alcohol.

"Now, alcohol-free funerals end up without the families getting into debt like before," she said.

ThaiHealth has successfully used "family love" as a tool to combat domestic violence in the five villages. A total of 130 participating men have received certificates.

In Tambon Chiang Khrua of Sakhon Nakhon province, ThaiHealth is battling a tradition where every household provides a bottle of whisky at funerals.

Thin Jaila, a former village head of Na Kham Hai who started the idea of the "liquor fund", wants it abolished following fights and crime in the aftermath of funerals.

Village head Aphaiwong Hardsaikarn is always busy driving drunks home and settling fights after funerals - and he is growing tired of it.

Aphaiwong suggested giving money instead of whisky, but men opposed his idea. "Then I turned to the housewives and their girlfriends for help. And it worked."

A funeral a few months ago saw just four bottles of whisky on offer. Aphaiwong believes he will soon succeed in having alcohol-free ceremonies.

Aphaiwong has also seen success in programmes dealing with youth misdemeanours - ranging from gaming addiction and smoking to motorcycle street racing. All of his programmes are funded jointly by ThaiHealth and the To Be Number One project.

Suphada Tami, a programme supervisor, said Aphaiwong uses his expertise in fishing craft to encourage youths to compete in boat races.

"Victories have given us unity among families and community members, as well as prize money and a cabinet full of trophies," she said.

A "Massage for Desserts" initiative sees children learn traditional massage and practise on their parents or elders in exchange for dessert or money. "This project builds closeness between parents and children," Suphada said.

Residents of Na Kham Hai village are now turning to non-chemical farming using herbal insecticides and organic fertilisers, with funding from ThaiHealth.

Na Kham Hai and Aphaiwong recently won a regional To Be Number One competition and will now introduce a development plan based on the sufficiency economy theory."

Thanks TV members for turning me onto Archa...this stuff is a Godsend! I like the taste, costs less then anything on the market and how did you all forget to mention that is is alcohol content of 5.4?

Makes being a boozer a lot chaeper now!

Thanks TV members for turning me onto Archa...this stuff is a Godsend! I like the taste, costs less then anything on the market and how did you all forget to mention that is is alcohol content of 5.4?

Another happy convert ! :o

totster :D

I think post number 15 did the trick. :D:D:D

I'm not sure if this thread is about the OP wanting to stop drinking or not. If he is, there is a group of guy, who try to stay off the booze, that meet once a week in Khon Kaen and support each other and have fun.

I used to drink either 2 large bottles of San Thip or Maekong a day, or about 15 large bottles of chang. I havent had any for nearly 7 years and let me tell you, EVRYTHING is much better. If anyone's interested in joing us, PM me.

Alcohol is a huge problem in Issarn.

I've only found it a problem before 11 am and between 2 pm and 5 pm.

I go to the largest treatment facility in thailand, which is in KK, twice a week and try to help people with problems quit - I also speak with their families. To say it is only a prolem at certain times of the day when you can't buy it is not funny.

apalogy - on reading OP again, I see it is a light-hearted thread - sorry.

Edited by Neeranam

or about 15 large bottles of chang.

Keeping it light hearted but anyone being able to do that must have the constitution of an ox! 4 or 5 Changs is at least two days of suffering for me. You must feel really great now. Did you do the KK marathon this year?

Here's to alcohol, the cause of - and solution to - all life's problems. Homer

my 5 year old Sipping whisky

Blimey...................................I didn't start till I was seven :o

Only 5 YO? I don't buy anything under 10 (single malt) for myself. I think the average bottle here now was 15YO @ purchase.

I think post number 15 did the trick. :D:D:D

I was already determined to try it by post #15. But after I saw post 15 I shut down the computer and took a bike ride to the local beverage outlet to try a case. After I read the "5.4" I signed the paperwork

Only 5 YO? I don't buy anything under 10 (single malt) for myself. I think the average bottle here now was 15YO @ purchase.

I agree to a point.. :D the first bottle I enjoy is Laphroaig whisky, after that is doesent really matter, because I can't tell the difference anyway... :D

Tilapia.

my 5 year old is still ageing in a couple of old oak casks and its getting better by the year,will see how it is after 10years, considering I distilled it my self , had a few people from a local distillery here to try the three year old , they reckoned it tasted better than Bundy so it cant be all that bad and it only costs 1 dollar 70 a litre to produce and its legal, as long as I dont sell it, sorry as a disabled pensioner cant afford a 15 yearold single Malt :D Nignoy

A couple of months ago I visited my daughter in Chester, NW England. One evening she and her hubby decided to take me to a Thai restaurant in the city. The first thing I spotted on the shelf as I walked in was Singha beer on the shelf, so when we sat down at the table that was the drink I ordered first off whilst the menu's were brought for our perusal.

The beer arrived (kuat lek) and I started sipping it whilst reviewing the menu. I was taken aback by some of the prices for meals I know one can get for 50 -80 baht at home. As I strolled through the menu I came upon the drinks list..........my small Singha beer was 3.50 (3 pounds & 50p!!!!!!!), :o I was stunned, consequently I didn't have any more Singha ............one way to cut down on your beer intake is having to pay extortionate prices like that..........glad to get back home to Isaan!!!!!!! :D

or about 15 large bottles of chang.

Keeping it light hearted but anyone being able to do that must have the constitution of an ox! 4 or 5 Changs is at least two days of suffering for me. You must feel really great now. Did you do the KK marathon this year?

Here's to alcohol, the cause of - and solution to - all life's problems. Homer

Unbelievably good! I may be doing the KK half mrathon next time.

I'm thinking of popping along to the KK marathon this year... anyone know of a good bar on the route where I can sit outside and cheer on the runners ? :D

totster :o

I'm thinking of popping along to the KK marathon this year... anyone know of a good bar on the route where I can sit outside and cheer on the runners ? :D

At six in the morning?

At six in the morning?

As good a time as any I spose...

• 3 weeks later...

I too drink to much while staying in Isaan. On my behalf the price has nothing to do with it. I blame it on the fact that back in europe, opening a beer on a weekday morning is frowned upon. In Isaan I think the general idea is that if you can afford it, don´t pass out, ramble around the Moo Baan drunk as a skunk and is faithful to your wife - by all means drink! And please, buy me one too!!

Edited by feffejonsson

I've only found it a problem before 11 am and between 2 pm and 5 pm.

The only problem I've had with it is when the local shops run out.

These days I warn them 2 weeks before I come so they can stock up for me. They give better prices that Chaiyaphum Tesco...

A Thai friend of mine was a Leo drinker, he converted and now drinks Archa. Two farang friends, one drank Chang and the other Heineken, have also changed to Archa. It's a great beer. The price here in Nong Hin is still 240 baht for a box of 12 big bottles.

I too drink to much while staying in Isaan. On my behalf the price has nothing to do with it.

Generally I drink no more or no less than I've always done (since 17 y.o. anyway). However, drinking 6 pints per night in the UK at 4% abv is less than drinking 6 pints per day in Thailand at 5.4% abv. However, I have changed my drinking habits. In UK I rarely took a beer before 7 pm after finishing w*rk. In Thailand I usually have the first beer at midday and end up in bed by 8 pm.