Where find IELTS study guides?

david_je

The Barron's and other guides to prepare for the test are expensive new. Does anyone know of library or used books store that would have such? Or where to post asking if anyone has for sale?

I am asking for a student who plans to take the test. Thanks.

YouTube

Don't buy those big books they're mind numbing

Speak with people in English. Make a serious attempt to use advanced English and articulate yourself clearly. Speaking 1, 2 are easy to model with a friend

Listening... just listening to everything you can in English. Stop reading and listen. This is the easiest skill to improve upon quickly.

Reading. Read advanced newsela and do the read comp questions. Better yet, Khan academy SAT English. They have YouTube explainers on what you missed. Khan is free.

All you really need to know is how each section will be presented / administered and how you can prep for each. 

If you can write well then further test preparation might help boost your score. Meaning ... prepare for the test rather than improving the skill itself. Writing is the most difficult skill to acquire and it's the most difficult to score above seven on. If you don't want to put in a lot of effort for minimal return don't bother. Do not go to some language center with a bunch of degrre-less, sketchy af farang in hopes of help. Very, very few can teach writing fewer still can teach it well

The stuff on TPB probably will be really old and worthless

Edited by Plern

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but if the student can't afford the books/doesn't want to pay for them, how is he/she going to pay for (1) an IELTS tutor/course and (2) the test (a few thousand Baht)? 

Unless the student in question has a very good grasp of the language, he/she should definitely enroll on an IELTS course or take a private IELTS tutor. Studying alone is not the best course of action for people who are weak in English. Time with a tutor, private or group, is the best way to learn the techniques and strategies to help candidates improve their band score. While our esteemed fellow ASEANNOW member Plern might disagree with the last suggestion, I assure you there are many good, experienced and passionate tutors out there helping thousands of students to improve their band scores. They must be doing something right! Just found out this evening that my private IELTS student achieved band 7.0 in both speaking and writing. Band 7.5 overall. Not bad for a "degrre-less, sketchy af farang" [sic]