Tourist Visa and some advice. (long post)

Hello everyone!

I am well aware of the several threads for Tourist visas, but I want some advice on my situation and plan.

I entered Thailand in June 2019 with a Tourist Visa granted by the Thai Embassy in London.

In October 2019, it was changed to a Non-O marriage visa at the Savannaketh Embassy in Laos.

Reentered Thailand in the same month and activated the 1-year extension in January 2020.

During the COVID pandemic, I broke up with my former spouse and divorced in February 2021.

From March 2021 until April 2022, I've been on COVID extensions.

Now I am planning to get back at the end of this year and start University courses there in the summer of 2024.

Until I start university classes, I want to apply for an ED-visa at a Thai Language school so I can get some extra time until I reach summer. I would like to mention that I DO NOT WANT to use the language school only for staying purposes.

I am very serious about attending University classes, and I really want to learn the language because my main goal is to finish my studies at a Thai University, obtain a work permit, and eventually spend the rest of my days here.

I am 32 years old, a Romanian passport holder, and have never used agents or fishy entry methods.

I have some savings and some passive income.

At the time of applying, I will probably have spent 18 months outside Thailand.

I know it sounds like a long shot, but I wish to do everything by the book in order to permanently move there.

I would really appreciate your advice! Is there any chance to get rejected when applying for TR visa?

Thanks a lot!

Given how long you have been away, I would expect no problems with a single entry tourist visa (SETV) from the Thai embassy in Bucharest. However, that would only give you a 60 day initial permission to stay, together with a single 30-day extension. Look into whether you can qualify for a multiple entry tourist visa (METV) instead. Correctly used, that would allow you to stay about eight months with border bounces every 60-90 days.

Once your university course starts, the university should be able to help you get an education visa that will resolve your immigration issues. Discuss this with them.

If you cannot get an METV, covering the period from the start of your stay until the beginning of your university course could be tricky. As a Romanian, you are not able to extend your visit with visa exempt entries through border bounces. Your best bet would be to find a language school that can help you get a visa and extensions to cover that period. Relying on SETVs from embassies/consulates close to Thailand would be nerve wracking, given your nationality and the lack of a safety net of visa exempt entry if your visa application is denied.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, danielshv said:

Thank you ! I forgot to mention that I also have a new passport. Would that be helpful in any way?

It certainly might if it comes down to trying for tourist visas in countries near Thailand (but I hope it will not come to that). Try for the METV.

• Like 1