New railway line thru Chiang Rai

bignok

They are saying 2028 but with double tracks and many tunnels it wont be. 2032 has a nice ring to it. Cant link the article I found but its the Post from two and a half years ago. Very little progress since then, which is a pity as it is a great idea.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just east of Thoeng there is a big bridge construction over the 1021 hwy going towards Chiang Kham.  Locals told me it was for the new railway.  Surprised because I didn't realize that there that much work already being done.  Makes sense as crossings (elevated and at-grade) are more costly and time consuming than just laying rails.

• Thanks 1

A few months back we were in Dong Mahawan and saw that Google maps showed a new railway station, so we drove to see it. There was nothing there and we asked a local vendor about it. He then pointed out many buildings that were being torn down or had already been torn down. He said that the government pays people to tear down their houses in the path of the railway, and then gives them another, larger amount, when the tearing down is complete.

So it is happening and I expect that the process will be accelerating.

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2023 at 8:22 AM, FarangRimPing said:

A few months back we were in Dong Mahawan and saw that Google maps showed a new railway station, so we drove to see it. There was nothing there and we asked a local vendor about it. He then pointed out many buildings that were being torn down or had already been torn down. He said that the government pays people to tear down their houses in the path of the railway, and then gives them another, larger amount, when the tearing down is complete.

So it is happening and I expect that the process will be accelerating.

Called eminent domain in US.  Common by Gov't for transportation and other projects. Pay market value to the private owner.

10 hours ago, sabaiguy said:

Called eminent domain in US.  Common by Gov't for transportation and other projects. Pay market value to the private owner.

Of course.

In Thailand, quite often certain folks get paid more than market value of the property. Other folks get paid less than market.

Wht I found interesting was that the owners were responsible for clearing the lot themselves. They didn't get the final payment until the land was cleared. I assume that if they didn;t clear it, the government would do it and then the total payment would be lower. Perhaps they would only get the small initial payment.

4 hours ago, FarangRimPing said:

Of course.

In Thailand, quite often certain folks get paid more than market value of the property. Other folks get paid less than market.

Wht I found interesting was that the owners were responsible for clearing the lot themselves. They didn't get the final payment until the land was cleared. I assume that if they didn;t clear it, the government would do it and then the total payment would be lower. Perhaps they would only get the small initial payment.

A few years ago when the the new western bypass hwy (131) was under construction near our house a portion of the road was fully graded and appeared ready for paving but all work was stopped right in front of a house.  Very interesting sight.  Was thinking the homeowner probably wasn't happy with the gov'ts offer and was holding out.  Next trip house was gone and hwy completed. Don't know who won that standoff. Probably Gov't as usual.  But maybe homeowner got more than Gov't originally offered.

• 2 weeks later...