Cheap and best hair cut for men in BKK?

Don Chance

6 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

My battery failed once at a petrol station and a taxi guy offered to get me going, he spent about 20 minutes with me and point blank refused 100 baht from me.

This is not a service, I would not accept money from someone I helped to start their car. 

4 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

I didn’t suggest it was a service. It was an act of kindness.

If I had jump started your car and you offered me money, if be insulted and wouldn't accept it. 

If you helped someone and they offered you 100 baht, wouldn't you be insulted? 

Would you accept it? 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

If I had jump started your car and you offered me money, if be insulted and wouldn't accept it. 

Would you accept it? 

If I helped someone and they offered me money I wouldn’t accept it but I also wouldn’t feel insulted .

Why would you feel insulted, superiority complex ?

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2023 at 3:39 PM, BangkokHank said:

Ha. Exactly. I had been using a 150-baht place near my home for the past year - with what I considered to be just tolerable results. Then I tried a 600-baht place near the Emporium a few weeks ago, and it was a DISASTER! So I went back to my 150-baht place today with a new sense of appreciation for my cheap but tolerable haircut. My philosophy about haircuts in Thailand now is: It's going to be a bad haircut in any case, so it might as well be cheap.

Several of my Thai barbers over the years have actually blamed MY HAIR for the bad haircuts. I was starting to accept their explanation - until I went to India for a vacation - and had the best haircut of my life - for 30 baht. So it's not so much a matter of the price. It's a matter of Thais generally not being able to cut farang hair very well. Unfortunately, I can't go to India every time I need a haircut.

Maybe ask the Indian tailors if they know anyI Indian barbers in your area.

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

If I helped someone and they offered me money I wouldn’t accept it but I also wouldn’t feel insulted .

Why would you feel insulted, superiority complex ?

No. 

You obviously don't understand Thai working class people have pride. 

You obviously don't understand the Thai hierarchical social structure. 

Farang are not even on the bottom rung of this ladder. 

Would you offer a guy who gave you jump leads in the US money? 

• Haha 1

On 6/30/2023 at 5:18 PM, jaywalker2 said:

I've gone off the beaten track as well but outside the tourist areas they generally have no idea what do with a farang's hair.

Take a pic of yourself with a good haircut and show it to the barber next time.  "Me him same-same."

If you want it buzzcut short point to the electric clipper and tell him the razor size; you'll want to gain a little knowledge about this before you tell him the number.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

No. 

You obviously don’t understand that this thread is about someone trying to get a cheap haircut in BKK not another opportunity for you to prove you are more Thai than Thai themselves .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Would you accept it? 

Oh for goodness sake. That’s just plain ridiculous. I’m not a taxi driver taking time out of my working day to help someone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

No. 

After all this time in Thailand I’d have assumed you’d have learned something, perhaps even that making comparisons with the US is an irrelevance.

Edited by Fairynuff
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Local village guy in NoWhereVille Northern Thailand does a great job for 60 THB (I give him 100).
My gal who use to cut my hair in Chiang Mai was 100 THB until the Covid "emergency" over-reaction by the government shuttered her shop and many others between 2020 and 2023.  Had some business in Chiang Mai today and the fact that there are still a lot of closed, shuttered businesses isn't a good sign, but it does make it a 'buyer's market.'
The gal I first used in Chiang Mai charged 100 THB then changed her price to 150.  I changed barbers.  I thought the 150% increase was excessive.  100 THB is a fair price and generally I'd give a 20 THB tip.

So I'd imagine in BKK you'd probably be paying 100 to 150 THB.  Try out different barbers.  The difference between a good hair cut and a bad hair cut is about two weeks. 

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

You obviously don’t understand that this thread is about someone trying to get a cheap haircut in BKK not another opportunity for you to prove you are more Thai than Thai themselves .

I was answering your question. 

I also asked you one, which you missed. 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

After all this time in Thailand I’d have assumed you’d have learned something, perhaps even that making comparisons with the US is an irrelevance.

What on earth are you on about? 

What part of what I said is not true?