Switching from Marriage Visa to Tourist Visa and back again

Hey guys,

I've been living with my wife for a few years here on a marriage visa but I may not be able to get the 400,000 baht required for the renewal in time. Is it a good option to get a tourist visa and then apply for a marriage visa later when I have the funds available? Or is it risky that I could be denied?

Cheers,

Chesterpot

Sure, do a boarder run and come back with a tourist visa.

I did it last year. 

My extension to stay was near its end and we were traveling abroad, So we went on our trip, I came back visa exempt , did a 30 day extension to the visa exempt. Then got an Non Im 0 ,which if I remember correctly " gave me another three months . And then I applied for another extension. Dont quote me on the exact extensions after I came here visa exempt, I might not remember it exact,

But it would give you time to re-build you funds. 

Just remember that if you come back with a tourist visa, you will be starting the Extension to stay based on marriage again from the beginning (visit to the hoe, pictures etc) but no big deal.   

• Like 1

Go to Savannakhet and get a Multiple Non-O on the basis that you are married.

No Financials needed (except the money for the Visa)

caveat is that you have to do border runs every 90 days but the visa, with careful planning, will last you 15 months+ so more then enough time to get the financials in order

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As above multi or single entry O visa from Savannakhet is available and if get multi can cover up to 15 months with 90 day border runs, and could be extended for one year when you get the 400k in bank.  Be sure to read requirements (invitation note from wife and copy of her ID card believe is required).  If travel from Bangkok/Pattaya believe frequent visa run vans have all inclusive plans (you do have to stay a night in Savannakhet).

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chesterpot said:

I may not be able to get the 400,000 baht required for the renewal in time. Is it a good option to get a tourist visa and then apply for a marriage visa later when I have the funds available?

Have you already  used "60 day extension to visit wife" .

When will you have the 400k.

It only needs to be in bank for 2 months.

If you kill off your non O by exit Thailand and obtain SETV that means you start the process over.

You would need to obtain a non O and subsequent extension.

Very messy and somewhat costly. 

Bad plan. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

Sure, do a boarder run and come back with a tourist visa.

I did it last year. 

My extension to stay was near its end and we were traveling abroad, So we went on our trip, I came back visa exempt , did a 30 day extension to the visa exempt. Then got an Non Im 0 ,which if I remember correctly " gave me another three months . And then I applied for another extension. Dont quote me on the exact extensions after I came here visa exempt, I might not remember it exact,

But it would give you time to re-build you funds. 

Just remember that if you come back with a tourist visa, you will be starting the Extension to stay based on marriage again from the beginning (visit to the hoe, pictures etc) but no big deal.   

This was my original idea before making this topic. I am aware of having to start the marriage visa process again and would have put up with it.

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

Go to Savannakhet and get a Multiple Non-O on the basis that you are married.

No Financials needed (except the money for the Visa)

caveat is that you have to do border runs every 90 days but the visa, with careful planning, will last you 15 months+ so more then enough time to get the financials in order

This sounds like an excellent option! Do you know what the visa currently costs? And would I have to go through all the proof of marriage steps again after this? I assume not.

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

As above multi or single entry O visa from Savannakhet is available and if get multi can cover up to 15 months with 90 day border runs, and could be extended for one year when you get the 400k in bank.  Be sure to read requirements (invitation note from wife and copy of her ID card believe is required).  If travel from Bangkok/Pattaya believe frequent visa run vans have all inclusive plans (you do have to stay a night in Savannakhet).

I will be travelling from CM but happy to make my own way there.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Have you already  used "60 day extension to visit wife" .

When will you have the 400k.

It only needs to be in bank for 2 months.

If you kill off your non O by exit Thailand and obtain SETV that means you start the process over.

You would need to obtain a non O and subsequent extension.

Very messy and somewhat costly. 

Bad plan. 

I haven't used the 60 day extension - was not aware of it until I made this topic and very happy to find out about it. ????

I could potentially have the 400k today but it would involve selling company shares at a time I would prefer to hold onto them. Ideally do not want to start the process over again but not the end of the world if I end up needing to do it.

3 minutes ago, Chesterpot said:

This sounds like an excellent option! Do you know what the visa currently costs? And would I have to go through all the proof of marriage steps again after this? I assume not.

https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/page/visa-fee?menu=5d84a44c15e39c26b4004542

5,000 baht for one year visa.  There would not be any contact with immigration as you would leave/return every 90 days or less.

• Like 1

Ok , Here is an Idea. Just thinking out loud

Please correct me if I am wrong or my math is off. 

Visa exempt , extension to visa exempt (1900 baht) , None O (2000 baht) extension to non O (1900) so total 6000 baht , and you get 5 months 

Am I correct?

You are allowed two visa runs per year

So rinse and repeat , and you have 10 months for about 12,000 baht. 

If you are short the funds for an 1 year extension  10 months could  be enough time to figure things out and perhaps save up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Ok , Here is an Idea. Just thinking out loud

Please correct me if I am wrong or my math is off. 

Visa exempt , extension to visa exempt (1900 baht) , None O (2000 baht) extension to non O (1900) so total 6000 baht , and you get 5 months 

Am I correct?

You are allowed two visa runs per year

So rinse and repeat , and you have 10 months for about 12,000 baht. 

If you are short the funds for an 1 year extension  10 months could  be enough time to figure things out and perhaps save up. 

The Non O at Immigration requires proof of funds.

The solution for those who are short of money is the already recommended use of Non O visas applied for in Savannakhet Laos. Using multiple entry Non O visas is a good way of staying in Thailand for such married people, at least until the rules for a Non O visa application in Savannakhet change (which might never happen).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

The Non O at Immigration requires proof of funds.

I did a google search, and indeed it does for the wife, But I am sure I was not asked for any of that when I got my Non O  at the Immigration. Perhaps it is up to the particular office, or perhaps I am not remembering right. But I think i would remember if I had to go to the bank to get proof of funds for just getting the Non O. I tell you it sucks getting old. But consider the alternative LOL 

14 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I did a google search, and indeed it does for the wife, But I am sure I was not asked for any of that when I got my Non O  at the Immigration. Perhaps it is up to the particular office, or perhaps I am not remembering right. But I think i would remember if I had to go to the bank to get proof of funds for just getting the Non O. I tell you it sucks getting old. But consider the alternative LOL 

It is very clear what is required for a non O based on marriage and also very clear what is required for subsequent 12month extension. 

The OP has better options than your other earlier post .

"Visa exempt , extension to visa exempt (1900 baht) , None O (2000 baht) extension to non O (1900) so total 6000 baht , and you get 5 months 

Am I correct?" ..

Possible but foolish option. 

Edited by DrJack54

• 3 months later...
23 minutes ago, Chesterpot said:

Bumping an old topic but if I was able to leave the country and come back on a visa exempt and before that expired I had 400k baht in the bank for 60 days, would that fulfill the requirements for getting a new 12 month marriage visa?

For the application for non O the funds only need to be in bank on day of application.

Obtain a TM87 to apply for Non O.

Which immigration office. 

You require 15 days + remaining on your visa exempt entry permit.

You can extend your 30 day visa exempt entry by 30 days if needed

The Non O will provide 90 day stamp permit..

The application for extension requires funds in bank for 2 months.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Chesterpot said:

Bumping an old topic but if I was able to leave the country and come back on a visa exempt and before that expired I had 400k baht in the bank for 60 days, would that fulfill the requirements for getting a new 12 month marriage visa?

You cannot apply directly for a 12-month extension from a visa exempt entry. As outlined by DrJack above, you must first apply for a Non O visa at Immigration using form TM87 which gives you an initial 90-day permission to stay.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

For the application for non O the funds only need to be in bank on day of application.

Obtain a TM87 to apply for Non O.

Which immigration office. 

You require 15 days + remaining on your visa exempt entry permit.

You can extend your 30 day visa exempt entry by 30 days if needed

The Non O will provide 90 day stamp permit..

The application for extension requires funds in bank for 2 months.

I should have mentioned I am already on a 60 day extension to my marriage visa. Is it still possible for me to obtain a TM87 and apply for a Non O or am I forced to leave the country either way?

My immigration office is CM.

Edited by Chesterpot

25 minutes ago, Chesterpot said:

Is it still possible for me to obtain a TM87 and apply for a Non O or am I forced to leave the country either way?

You can obtain a non O without leaving Thailand.

How many days remaining on permission of stay.

What is situation with Thai bank account in your name only. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chesterpot said:

I have to leave by November 21st. I should have the funds in my bank account within 2 weeks.

So that's all good.

You will have funds in bank almost 27days prior to expiry.

Most immigration offices require minimum 15 day remaining on permission of stay.

Assume that you are aware the funds only need to be in bank on day of application.

It's the 12 month extension that requires 2 months of seasoning funds

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chesterpot said:

I have to leave by November 21st. I should have the funds in my bank account within 2 weeks.

At most immigration offices (it can be earlier at a few) the absolute latest you can apply for the Non O visa at Immigration is Monday November 6th (earlier would be better). The money must be in a Thai bank account in your name only on the day you apply.

• Like 1