110v Coversion

eljeque

Suitable transformers are readily available from most electrical shops, make sure you get one big enough for you saw.

Be aware that the supply here is 220V 50Hz (cycles) which may cause issues with appliances with motors resulting in slow running or overheating. If the saw has a 'universal' motor (with carbon brushes and a commutator) chances are it will be fine, if it's got any form of induction motor there may be problems :o

i have a electric skil saw from the US and want to use it in Thailand and would like to make an outlet in my house to be able to use 110 devices.

Easy. Home Pro sells a step down transformer: 220-110 in various sizes (watts)

They also sell 220v 50hz skil saws... :o

TH

Thaihome has the best answer. Get rid of the 110 volt saw and buy a new 220 volt saw. After you buy a big enough transformer you will find that the saw is running hot and may burn up anyways.

Suitable transformers are readily available from most electrical shops, make sure you get one big enough for you saw.

Be aware that the supply here is 220V 50Hz (cycles) which may cause issues with appliances with motors resulting in slow running or overheating. If the saw has a 'universal' motor (with carbon brushes and a commutator) chances are it will be fine, if it's got any form of induction motor there may be problems :o

When I moved from Oz (220V) to Japan (110V) i took a good quality extension miltipoint power cord with me.

A transformer (capacity 1200, weight 3kg) from hardware shop supplies enough power for whatever I might plug in (only PC and screen are always on).

Edited by think_too_mut

When I moved from Oz (220V) to Japan (110V) i took a good quality extension miltipoint power cord with me.

A transformer (capacity 1200, weight 3kg) from hardware shop supplies enough power for whatever I might plug in (only PC and screen are always on).

Moving from Oz (50Hz) to Japan (60Hz) causes fewer issues than going the other way, it's all down to the amount of iron in the transformers and motor cores, 60Hz units can be made slightly lighter (cheaper), these MAY overheat when run on a 50Hz supply.

Computers and other technology is invaribly fine on either frequency (often having multi-voltage power supplies too removing the need for a transformer as well) , our OP is talking about a power saw.

Moving from Oz (50Hz) to Japan (60Hz) causes fewer issues than going the other way, it's all down to the amount of iron in the transformers and motor cores, 60Hz units can be made slightly lighter (cheaper), these MAY overheat when run on a 50Hz supply.

FYI, Eastern Japan (including Tokyo) is 50Hz, and Western Japan (including Osaka) is 60Hz.

Also, Japan is 100V, and not 110V.

Although true enough believe most of use would say North and South Japan rather than East and West. Hokkiado is the northern island rather than the eastern island in my mind; and I lived there for several years.

FYI, Eastern Japan (including Tokyo) is 50Hz, and Western Japan (including Osaka) is 60Hz.

Also, Japan is 100V, and not 110V.

Interesting, I knew Japan was 100V but didn't know about the different frequencies (alway knew it was a weird country, just watch some of their movies :o ).

Learn something new every day :D