My dog tore her knee ligament

I have (had) an active dog that loves to go on walks and run and jump. Last week on our walk she jumped and yelped in pain. She started to limp and 6 days later could not put weight on the leg. Took her to vet hospital and she has been diagnosed with a torn ACL in her Rt rear leg. Vet says the only hospital that can perform the required surgery is in Bangkok. Anyone else have any experience with a good dog orthopedic surgeon? I live on Koh Samui

Thanks for any help.

Edited by hoxman
add location

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Are you sure about the diagnosis, as tendons have a better chance of healing by themselves over time.  Ligaments may or may not need surgery.

Good question, here is the x-ray, the fibula bone should be more to the left. Ligaments are not holding in position.

20230701_143319.jpg

2 hours ago, hoxman said:

I have (had) an active dog that loves to go on walks and run and jump. Last week on our walk she jumped and yelped in pain. She started to limp and 6 days later could not put weight on the leg. Took her to vet hospital and she has been diagnosed with a torn ACL in her Rt rear leg. Vet says the only hospital that can perform the required surgery is in Bangkok. Anyone else have any experience with a good dog orthopedic surgeon? I live on Koh Samui

Thanks for any help.

Which vet did you go to on Samui? There are several. Maybe try the one opposite Chaweng Post Office.  You might get different advice, or they might know somewhere.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Which vet did you go to on Samui?

I went to Dr Somsak (across from PO) first, where they referred me to Yumyung Hospital, where the x-ray was taken. The x-ray clearly shows the torn ligament.

Thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

Also in Samui.  Had two dogs that had cruciate ligament injuries or tears.  The damn slippery tile is a killer for all of us

Everyone said you must go to BKK and the surgery is not only expensive but the dogs can't really move for three months.  One passed away recently from unrelated illness and the other manages and when her pain is noticable I give her half of a 7.5 mg Meloxicam pill for a few days then stop.  You don't want to over do it.  She's about 22 kilos.  All the pharmacies have it.  I take it also and I know it works on me.  It was impossible for me to go to BKk for months so a friend in Ubon found a vet there who also does the surgery.  Half the cost and my friend was going to handle the rehab.  I tried for months to get those crooks at Anamalia to contact the surgeon and give me the x-rays and they promised they would and never did.  During this time I was giving my dog lots of fish oil and a joint supportive food.  She improved dramatically so I postponed the surgical option.  

This is the vet. https://www.upetanimalhospital.com/?fbclid=IwAR24Q1Qw8bxS_y7HWlvzLVvQ6JJh1adeycc-z1ga_QpbgCDN1az6C7Ju49w

https://m.facebook.com/upetanimalhospital?__tn__=C-R&paipv=0&eav=AfaZDdC52Bnz_prNfq3EvKgenLXjGvA9jIuBfwV4Xpdb03xsVqRYlaxrx--jHH0bv8s&wtsid=rdr_0Hz9f8JYUsF0ttrYC

Edited by LikeItHot
  • Love It 1

Thanks for the response @LikeItHot. I was able to snap the photo of the x-ray on the wall for the picture I have from Youngnum Hospital. We are now in touch in a hospital with locations in Hat Yai and Surat Thani whose surgeon can perform this surgery. The surgeon comes to Surat on 24 July. She runs out of the vets pain pills today, hasn't been needing them much, will look for your suggestion. Thanks all

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, hoxman said:

Thanks for the response @LikeItHot. I was able to snap the photo of the x-ray on the wall for the picture I have from Youngnum Hospital. We are now in touch in a hospital with locations in Hat Yai and Surat Thani whose surgeon can perform this surgery. The surgeon comes to Surat on 24 July. She runs out of the vets pain pills today, hasn't been needing them much, will look for your suggestion. Thanks all

Great. Keep in mind that surgery should require multiple vet re visits.  So plan your aftercare.  Also watch out for those butchers at Youngnam.  They hacked away at my lab for months.  Incisions and sutchers looked like it was done by a five year old. He had very aggressive cancer but they didn't tell me there was no hope for him until after the second surgery.  Money money money.  I know they are not doing your surgery thank God.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 1:56 PM, GiveMeAColdOne said:

Had a similar surgery at Kasetsart University in Bangkok.  Inexpensive and amazingly good experience. Highly qualified doctor. 

Hi @GiveMeAColdOne thanks for the response. The hospital down south may not be working out. Can I get more details on Kasetsart University? Contact number and cost if you have it. TIA