Cigna Global Health getting deprecated

Swiss1960

Sad new: I just got a letter form Chubb Insurance, the company that bought the Thailand health part of Cigna Global, that they cancel my policy by the end of the current insurance term (Feb 2024), as they discontinue this offer in Thailand. 

They do not even offer an alternative, just saying that I should have enough time to look for an alternative. Sad news, as this is the first company that was not only responsive, but paid claims without asking for more money, unlike all the Thai insurance companies.

What are the alternatives outside Thailand?

My friend uses AIA, and the AIA agent says different hospitals have different policies. The hi-so hospital actually works directly with AIA while the cheaper hospital wants payment up front. The agent mentioned that to qualify for 100% insurance payment no questions asked, must stay overnight at the hospital. They even said, even if its a minor thing that you can go back home, just stay overnight for guaranteed payment. My friend has stayed over night twice in the past year, both times 100% paid directly between hospital & insurance, no out-of-pocket expenses.

Edited by creative1000

Chubb's purchase of Cigna's life and health companies in Asia did not include Cigna's operation in Singapore.

Cigna Singapore has offered medical insurance to expatriates in Thailand in the past. 

You may wish to contact Cigna Singapore directly to see if they will offer a solution. You may or may not be able to find a broker in Thailand that is willing to work with offshore insurers.

This sort of situation can be particularly difficult for someone who developed health conditions while covered by a given insurance policy for many years. The existing policy covers these conditions if they developed after the policy started. However, if the company decides to discontinue your policy you might not qualify for a new policy or might face exclusions as these health conditions will now be treated as being pre-existing. In fact I wonder if some less reputable insurance companies discontinue policies deliberately to get rid of policy holders with costly health issues...

• Like 2

Hi Sheryl,

He had Cigna Global. I had it as well until last month. My billing changed from Cigna Global to Chubb Thailand. They went through some sort of reorganization around March of this year. When I called Cigna after canceling my renewal (I still had 12 days left on my policy but I could no longer see it when I logged into the site) to make sure I was still covered for the remaining days.

So I not sure how it works with them now with their name change. I decided to go with AXA from the UK as their renewal price went up a lot.

Regards,

23 minutes ago, tomm12 said:

Hi Sheryl,

He had Cigna Global. I had it as well until last month. My billing changed from Cigna Global to Chubb Thailand. They went through some sort of reorganization around March of this year. When I called Cigna after canceling my renewal (I still had 12 days left on my policy but I could no longer see it when I logged into the site) to make sure I was still covered for the remaining days.

So I not sure how it works with them now with their name change. I decided to go with AXA from the UK as their renewal price went up a lot.

Regards,

As I understand it Chubb bought out only Cigna's health and life jnsurance in Thailand and some other countries and there remains a Global Cigna expat policy isfmsued out of UK.  OP should check with a good broker to sort this out. 

Mine was Global except for the US. I called the UK when confirming I was still covered until the end of my policy year. Had I continued I would have done as you say and found out exactly what would be included globally after the change to Chubb. I was still able to login under Cigna Global to view my policy. I never used it during my coverage thankfully so not sure how it would have worked if I had had to use it.

regards,

16 hours ago, Sheryl said:

there remains a Global Cigna expat policy issued out of UK.

That is what I have - as I made contact direct with the UK office and never anyone in Thailand.  My renewal is Feb 24 -- and there are no notes on my account in the online panel.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tomm12 said:

Mine was Global except for the US.

I think you're talking a different issue.

Your comment above seems to be about what countries are or are not covered by your policy.

The discussion you were responding to was whether the poster's medical policy was ISSUED by a Thai arm of Cigna or their Global entity.

I had Cigna Global that I bought from the UK. I was just trying to explain that it included all but the US. I bought the plan using Thailand as my base. Around March the billing on my credit card changed from Cigna Global to Chubb. So it started as Cigna and changed to Chubb.

Regards,

I might have some further color on this issue. 

Recently, I ventured in somewhat of a deep-dive to get Medical Health Insurance for my expatriate to beginning in a couple of months. Out of recommendation, my eyes were set on Cigna Global (and Allianz)

I believe that a lot of people that are(or were) insured by Cigna Thailand are under the false impression that it is actually Cigna Global. 

Via the website www.cignaglobal.com we can "Get a Quote" and at the final step we can acquire named policy. However, if we choose Thailand in the first step the issuer becomes Cigna Thailand in the last step. Would've have chosen another country, pretty much all produce the original Cigna Global as is issuer. Doesn't sound much of a difference, but in reality it's a huge difference in coverage and how claims are handled. 

Here's some intel from their EU office, straight from the mouth. Licensing of "Cigna Thailand" will probably end within short, and not be re-licensed to another 3rd party again. 

As mentioned, we have recently closed down our Thai office, bring all policies onto our international platform, enhancing benefits. Therefore the policies that you see on the Thai website are no longer available to purchase.

Please see key differences between Thai Vs International policies:

• Outpatient was pay and claim on Asia plans – International plans are direct billing
  • Inpatient pay & claim with preapproval on Asia plans – No pre approval is needed on the International plans
  • Pre-approval was needed for outpatient  Not needed with the international plans
  • Network was limited on Asia plans – International plans are unlimited offering freedom and flexibility
  • Asia plans customer care team which work office hours are Thai speaking – International plans have a 5 star 24/7 English speaking service
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

I might have some further color on this issue. 

Recently, I ventured in somewhat of a deep-dive to get Medical Health Insurance for my expatriate to beginning in a couple of months. Out of recommendation, my eyes were set on Cigna Global (and Allianz)

I believe that a lot of people that are(or were) insured by Cigna Thailand are under the false impression that it is actually Cigna Global. 

Via the website www.cignaglobal.com we can "Get a Quote" and at the final step we can acquire named policy. However, if we choose Thailand in the first step the issuer becomes Cigna Thailand in the last step. Would've have chosen another country, pretty much all produce the original Cigna Global as is issuer. Doesn't sound much of a difference, but in reality it's a huge difference in coverage and how claims are handled. 

Here's some intel from their EU office, straight from the mouth. Licensing of "Cigna Thailand" will probably end within short, and not be re-licensed to another 3rd party again. 

As mentioned, we have recently closed down our Thai office, bring all policies onto our international platform, enhancing benefits. Therefore the policies that you see on the Thai website are no longer available to purchase.

Please see key differences between Thai Vs International policies:

• Outpatient was pay and claim on Asia plans – International plans are direct billing
  • Inpatient pay & claim with preapproval on Asia plans – No pre approval is needed on the International plans
  • Pre-approval was needed for outpatient  Not needed with the international plans
  • Network was limited on Asia plans – International plans are unlimited offering freedom and flexibility
  • Asia plans customer care team which work office hours are Thai speaking – International plans have a 5 star 24/7 English speaking service

Thank you for this. So it seems OP and others actually had Cigna Thailand, not Cigna Global. Many do indeed get confused on this point.

One correction to the above, however: Pre-authorization is needed for hospitalization for the itnernational policy. This is pretty standard in all policies -- and a Thai hospital would in any case insist ion a Guarantee of Payment from the insurer before they'd admit you anyway (either that or a depositc payment by you up front -- not recommended). 

@Swiss1960 you should call Cigna in the UK, explain you had a policy with Cigna Thailand which is closing down and ask if it is possible to somehow roll over to an international plan.   Phone number +44 (0)1475 788182