Recommendation's for eye wear and testing.

AlexRRR

Hi, looking for recomendations for optometrists for eye tests and supply of sunglasses in Pattaya using an exsisting frame, in particular the thin light weight bi focal types that go clear as the light fades.

Had what i think rather expensive quotes of 20,000 and above one was close to 30,000 and included that magic word all Thais love to hear a discounted price...just for lenses and there been at Glasses shops at 2 Big C's, a little better at a shop at Central Festival, one said...sent to Japan to be made....to justify the cost i  guess.....think thats just a con as i know a person who works in outer area of BKK that makes eye glass lenses....by the way my Aussie OPSM im failry sure are manufactured here in Thailand bar the frames...

Back home i got two pairs one standard one sunglass bi focal like the ones i descriped for around 32,000 and OPSM are regarded as expensive in AU.

I am in the same situation, got 3 frames I really like that are comfortable but need new lenses. Going to try looking around Sattahip.  My new glasses bought beside Big C were 30K Baht and lenses are great, frames hurt my nose. In USA could have got 3 pairs from Costco or Sams for that price..

30,000 baht for glasses? I paid 14,000 for photochromic progressive lens glasses in a shop next to my local Makro. Stood on them about six months later so used the prescription to get new ones from Zenni for 5,000 baht.

• Like 1

Just now, Makoshark said:

Just paid $650 for 2 pairs prescription in the USA.  1 progressive sunglass, 1 normal progressive.

I supplied the sunglass frame.

Are you bragging or complaining that you overpaid? Anyone that doesn't order from Zenni or equivalent has lost the plot. 

Maybe 20 years ago the eyewear industry started marketing eyeglasses as fashion. The price for frames went from cheap to hundreds of dollars just for the frames. All because there's now a label on the same frame that says Rayban or similar. Avoid these crooks. 

• Like 1

No bodies mentioned Top Charoen yet. Why not?

I have a pair of excellent bifocals with titanium frames and scratch resistant lenses from them. I didn't go for the transitions (sunglasses effect) because I had it before and didn't like it so much.

They measured my eyes and selected the right lenses which are different in each eye and the result is very satisfactory.

6,000 Baht well spent.

• Like 1

There is an Optician in Na Klua

He is directly opposite the car park for the Market closest to the Ocean

He is right on the Corner and speaks very good English.

OP

Do your due diligence on any potential source of Glasses Etc

There are many in Pattaya who profess to know about your Eyes, but very very few who actually do

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gargamon said:

Are you bragging or complaining that you overpaid? Anyone that doesn't order from Zenni or equivalent has lost the plot. 

Maybe 20 years ago the eyewear industry started marketing eyeglasses as fashion. The price for frames went from cheap to hundreds of dollars just for the frames. All because there's now a label on the same frame that says Rayban or similar. Avoid these crooks. 

Well not where i come from, Ray Ban sunglass frame only about $AU175 tops the lenses are stupid high price, i percerviered with a no name brand optics chain, cheap and nasty, for several years turned out was cheaper to go name brand frames in the end with the amount broken frames i was getting...

6 hours ago, alanrchase said:

30,000 baht for glasses? I paid 14,000 for photochromic progressive lens glasses in a shop next to my local Makro. Stood on them about six months later so used the prescription to get new ones from Zenni for 5,000 baht.

Yes, optics shop in Big C complex, 30,000 but sir we give you discount....and was for lenses only as i want to use my Ray Ban frames again...Other Big C complex optics shop there qouted 20,000 lenses only...

8 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

Well not where i come from, Ray Ban sunglass frame only about $AU175 tops the lenses are stupid high price, i percerviered with a no name brand optics chain, cheap and nasty, for several years turned out was cheaper to go name brand frames in the end with the amount broken frames i was getting...

I just received last week fully flexible titanium frame with single vision photochromic lenses with all the coatings including blue block, anti scratch and reflection, etc. from Zenni. Cost all in was about $100 CDN. So cheap I get a new pair every year.

Last time I got my eyes checked in Canada, I asked how much for equivalent frames to the Zenni frames. They had some similar titanium frames, without the flexible arms for about $200. Then add all the bells and whistles and you're easily over $400.

20 hours ago, gargamon said:

I just received last week fully flexible titanium frame with single vision photochromic lenses with all the coatings including blue block, anti scratch and reflection, etc. from Zenni. Cost all in was about $100 CDN. So cheap I get a new pair every year.

Last time I got my eyes checked in Canada, I asked how much for equivalent frames to the Zenni frames. They had some similar titanium frames, without the flexible arms for about $200. Then add all the bells and whistles and you're easily over $400.

I have the frame need someone local for the glass..