TM7 Photo Requirements

I know the photo size required is 4cm x 6cm and it needs to have a white background but what are some of the other requirements?

I recall I had a link before of a webpage that showed an example and in that example it showed requirements of how much photo space the head of the person should be at. However I can't seem to find that link again.

Can anyone provide me with such a link or example of what I am referring to?

They are not fussy about photo in my experience as they take computer photo which is what they use online.  Just normal passport type photo should be fine - even the size is often not an issue.  Do not recall any such example for TM7 photo - for passport photos yes - from Consulates.

• Like 2

This may be of relevance. I renewed my retirement extension last week. I went to a photo shop to get some new mugshots (as I understand that they don't like you using the same pics for two years - and they check). The guy asked me what size I wanted and showed me a chart of various sizes. The one for Immigration was much larger than the others, including that for a passport. I noticed the same chart in another shop that I went into for some final photocopying. I doubt that they would reject a TM7 for the wrong size photograph but you never know!

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2023 at 3:24 PM, sniggie said:

I went to a photo shop to get some new mugshots (as I understand that they don't like you using the same pics for two years - and they check).

It would probably also be prudent to ensure that you aren't wearing the same colour shirt as you wore when the previous year's mugshots were taken. I distinctly recall a report on here in the dim and distant past from someone who came a cropper on this at the hands of an eagle-eyed immigration officer!

• Like 1

I can only speak for doing my annual retirement extension at Pattaya Immigration (Jomtien).

I usually get two photos taken at the shop adjacent to the Immigration Office and they know the size to of photo needed.  Jomtien Immigration has always only required one photo. So I save the second one and used it the following year with no problems.  They also attached it to the TM.7 which I handed to them separately.

I have never seen them look up paperwork from the previous year or look up anything on their computer screen for me or anyone else they were processing ahead of me - so I would say they are not comparing the current photo with the previous one.

This year in June I was using the second photo I obtained last year. This year the Immigration Officer kept all the documents, but gave the photo back to me. She did take my photo with her phone camera.

Edited by soisanuk

Make sure that whatever photo you give them is a recent one. At a visit to CW last month, I gave them a photo that was 2-3 years old.

The officer wouldn't accept it. It was definitely me (I haven't changed THAT much).

So, I'll be giving them a new photo every year from now on.

On 7/12/2023 at 3:00 PM, statman78 said:

A passport type photo works.  Chiang Rai immigration requires that a man has a shirt with a collar. No t-shirts.

Thai immigration offices have their stupid quirks and petty hangups, but this one beats all. I would have to buy a collared shirt. Haven't owned one in years. Absolutely ridiculous, this. ????

8 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

I would have to buy a collared shirt. Haven't owned one in years.

Or just go to a photo shop. They usually take digital photos and add a nice suit on the PC. I still have some of those, even though I had a suit about 40 years ago and never again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OJAS said:

It would probably also be prudent to ensure that you aren't wearing the same colour shirt as you wore when the previous year's mugshots were taken. I distinctly recall a report on here in the dim and distant past from someone who came a cropper on this at the hands of an eagle-eyed immigration officer!

I wear the same shirt every year. Two passports, three driver licensees and all my immigration, just wear the same shirt to immigration. 

A non English post has been reported and removed.

3. English is the only permitted language anywhere on ASEAN NOW, except within the Thai language forum, where using Thai is allowed. Short Thai translations of technical terms are permitted in specialty forums. While we make allowances for members who do not speak English as their first language, we expect everyone to make an effort to post in a manner that allows others to understand their posts. As an international forum we have members from many countries in the world, and English is not the first language of every poster.

1 hour ago, marcho said:

It must have a white background. 

Thanks, but do note the first sentence in my OP:

"I know the photo size required is 4cm x 6cm and it needs to have a white background but what are some of the other requirements?"

2 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Thanks, but do note the first sentence in my OP:

"I know the photo size required is 4cm x 6cm and it needs to have a white background but what are some of the other requirements?"

Actually don't know where white background is stated as have never had one yet in the several decades of providing in Bangkok.  Photo shop could not even provide such for passport when needed (only blue).  Have taken my own against light blue walls in home with no issues (but perhaps close enough to white for photo size).

A passport type photo works.  Chiang Rai immigration requires that a man has a shirt with a collar. No t-shirts.

Not the only office with requirements, I understand that Phetchabun is a shirt with collar and sleeves with no logo or otherwise visible in the picture. The shop I use ensures that no pens or anything else is visible in or protruding from the shirt pocket.

And at one point, Chiang Mai was requiring a blue background.  So I made a set with white and another with blue.  Can't be too careful when it comes to CM immigration.  lol

But no glasses, no head covering, dress shirt.

8 hours ago, soisanuk said:

I can only speak for doing my annual retirement extension at Pattaya Immigration (Jomtien).

I usually get two photos taken at the shop adjacent to the Immigration Office and they know the size to of photo needed.  Jomtien Immigration has always only required one photo. So I save the second one and used it the following year with no problems.  They also attached it to the TM.7 which I handed to them separately.

I have never seen them look up paperwork from the previous year or look up anything on their computer screen for me or anyone else they were processing ahead of me - so I would say they are not comparing the current photo with the previous one.

This year in June I was using the second photo I obtained last year. This year the Immigration Officer kept all the documents, but gave the photo back to me. She did take my photo with her phone camera.

Yes, also in my Immigration office (the small SiSaKet Imm Office) they now have an airport-type look at the birdie desk-camera. And when applying for the 1-year extension they handed me back the pass-photo. 

But experience can and will be different depending on the Imm Office you apply and even the officer processing your application. 

When I last did the TM7 (April) I took the pic with my phone, and added it onto the PDF form, so once the info was complete I just printed the whole thing.  Ratchaburi Immigration was happy with that.. Make sure you only print single sided..

3 minutes ago, Brock said:

When I last did the TM7 (April) I took the pic with my phone, and added it onto the PDF form, so once the info was complete I just printed the whole thing.  Ratchaburi Immigration was happy with that.. Make sure you only print single sided..

TM7 should always be printed two sided in Bangkok and believe most places - supporting documents single side.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

TM7 should always be printed two sided in Bangkok and believe most places - supporting documents single side.

Not an issue at Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration.

They have accepted the TM.7 single sided from me at least for the past 10 of the 20  years I have been doing my extension renewals there.