Upgrade Ie

RueFang

I've had my computer for 2 years with Internet Explorer V6 that's been wanting to upgrade to V7 since its release. Problem is, that when it tries to verify it's an authentic version, and it's not, so I can't upgrade. Have others had this problem? Is there a way around it to upgrade?

Thanks for your help

Guest Reimar
I've had my computer for 2 years with Internet Explorer V6 that's been wanting to upgrade to V7 since its release. Problem is, that when it tries to verify it's an authentic version, and it's not, so I can't upgrade. Have others had this problem? Is there a way around it to upgrade?

Thanks for your help

Normally if you can't upgrade from IE6 to IE7 than you Windows isn't Genuine, which means you've a pirated version of windows!

Hmmm, the only answer we can give on this forum is to BUY a GENUINE copy of Windows.

Any means of circumventing the Microsoft copy protection is illegal and therefore cannot be discussed here.

EDIT Go here http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/faq.aspx if you believe that your copy is genuine.

Edited by Crossy

But I had no idea it wasn't genuine until I couldn't upgrade. I bought the com from what appeared to be a well run, professional computer store in Hat Yai. Is it general practice for computer shops in Thailand to sell pirated software. I have to admit, i wasn't totally surprised by it, being Thailand, just p*ssed off. Anything I can do?

Guest Reimar

Just buy an original version of Windows. That's the only legal way you have!

Other advice isn't allowed in this forum because of "pirated" software!! See the Forum Rules!

Shops will usually not include a genuine OS unless it's specifically stated or you specifically ask for (and pay for) it. It's a fact of life in Thailand, since most people really don't want to pay several thousand more for a piece of software that they can get for free. Really shouldn't come as a shock to anyone.

Your options are:

1. Keep using the old IE. Doesn't really matter, the new one isn't that great and it's still way too vulnerable to virii.

2. Buy a legit copy of XP. It ain't cheap, XP Pro (the OEM version) costs 5490 baht.

3. Use an alternative. Firefox and Opera come to mind. At least they don't succumb to each and every web virus out there.

4. Find a way to circumvent the authenticity check. Google it.

Ok, I won't talk about ways around it, but I would like to know for future reference when I buy a computer here (excuse my ignorance re computers :o ) how I know it's the real deal before I leave the shop??

Don't they give you the OEM recover disk what are you going to do when it crashs and it will. If you have the OEM disk then most likey your just not reg. proper contect the update site for info on getting your OS reg. if you have not reg. after getting the PC and you must then that if likey the prob. OEM disk is provided by the PC maker not the shop unless you got a used or local rebuild. The lic. for software realy is with your PC maker not you. Thats why you get an OEM disk and not one form microsoft. And I use both IE7 and the new Opera and like them both for tabs and Opera does torrent built in.

If you buy a name-brand desktop/laptop, and it has pre-installed legit OS, then it will have the MS certification sticker on the side, the one that has the registration code. If you buy an assembled PC or you ask for a legit OS, then you'll usually get an OEM version (they're much cheaper) which has a disc and the sticker, and maybe a little pamphlet. Otherwise, there's really no way to tell, since a legit OS can look and feel exactly the same as a copied (but cracked) OS.

Ok, I won't talk about ways around it, but I would like to know for future reference when I buy a computer here (excuse my ignorance re computers :o ) how I know it's the real deal before I leave the shop??

http://www.microsoft.com/thailand/cleanshop/

If you get a bogus copy of Windows from one of these shops you can get the problem rectified by Microsoft. Always keep detailed receipts. If possible, get it authenticated before you leave the shop. When some idiot behind the counter smiles and tells you "It's ok, not to worry" he's probably lying about something. Don't let yourself get panthiped... insist that they do it by the book. Make sure you get both the CD and certificate of authenticity.

If considering buying MS Windows XP, forget Windows XP Professional (plus 5000 Baht) and go for Windows XP Home (around 3000 Baht) your system is around 2 years old. And you use it at home, you not need any of the so-called advance stuff in Windows XP Professional.

Better if you belief statistics, Windows XP home SP2 is more secure then Windows XP Professional as most hacks, worms and global virus attacks happened on parts which Windows XP Home has not have and which 90% of the users never use. Example is the integrated web server of Windows XP Professional, most people who use that witched anyway to Apache as it is more supported and more secure and universal.

Better save the difference between WinXP Professional and WinXP Home on additional faster hardware...example more memory.

P.S. The remote Desktop, which Microsoft says is not supported is already supported in one of the Windows upgrades which you receive as legal user.....

Additional information, after I had a problem with a WinXp Professional registration and needed a quick answer for my customer, I installed Windows XP Home on a newly Core2 Dual system, based on a Intel P35 chipset.

I was surprised that the so-called not supported multiple core worked smooth, called Microsoft...they said it is not supported as support the core of MS Win Xp Home and WinXP Pro is identical so it would work (only not supported as support).

Matter of fact, I got funny....some hardcore testing showed that Windows XP Home runs faster on a Core2 Dual then Windows Xp Professional, also the resource and memory uses is higher. Even if you disable the FAX service, available in WinXP PRo and not in WinXP Home (who uses the FAX services anyway....anybody who is better of with 3th party software)

The main thing a business user would need for XP Pro is the ability to join a domain. Other than that, yep, you're probably not going to use the extra stuff in Pro (again, unless you're a business user in a networked environment).

Yeah, I got a notebook upgraded, and I had original legit Wins Xp on there, legit MS Office , (or whatever version it was) and it was "upgraded" with a priate version, and the rest of the software and other packages added on were not legit.

When I bought a PC, same thing... they stuck on a load of extras and all was not Legit.

Now I use both for business, and of course, as Murphys Law goes, when your really busy, got a deadline to meet, BANG.. something crashes, or gets locked out, or bugs... as it is not legit. I end up loosing 2 days of work. (I work night into europe and most of next day, or even day after as I got to take PC to be fixed). I am not technical very much, so am not good at fixing computers. So the few 1000 bhat they think they saved me on software, could have cost me a few 1000 of euro in lost business, or lost customer (which is alot more euro, consider most customers have a lifespan of a few years).

Of course no one asked me, if I wanted priated or real software. from now on it, I will buy the legit stuff... its not worth the trouble or hassel, when your business depends on your PC and it crashes at the most akward of times. not over saving a few 1000 bhat.