Last month in the Consular team

On 7/14/2023 at 11:51 AM, brianthainess said:

Just one question do you insist on an autopsy with forensic police in BKK when a brit dies?. I was told by RTP it is the law

I don't know if it's the law but it is certainly a requirement because the body cannot be released for cremation or to family members until a autopsy has been done by an official embassy appointed pathologist.

I know this because of expat UK deaths near me in Isaan and the bodies had to go to Khon Kaen for autopsy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andycoops said:

I don't know if it's the law but it is certainly a requirement because the body cannot be released for cremation or to family members until a autopsy has been done by an official embassy appointed pathologist.

I know this because of expat UK deaths near me in Isaan and the bodies had to go to Khon Kaen for autopsy.

I had an OZ friend die it was the Thai Police forensic dept. in BKK that did the autopsy insisted by the police here he go to BKK. He died in hospital from MND. 

I'll see if the brit embassy answer 'coz last time they were on this forum they never answered any questions. It was just AN members. 

• Like 1

I understand that if they die in hospital, medical history is known, no autopsy required.

I am British. However,  my wife (Canadian) died September  2021 in bed at home. We were visited by first response RTP and later a fairly senior officer from Hua Hin Station.

It was obvious from oxygen machine by bed what ailed my wife.

Later at RTP station she asked for inclusion in report If we wanted autopsy or not. Anwer was no.

Died Monday, cremated Friday. 

Chas

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 11:51 AM, brianthainess said:

Just one question do you insist on an autopsy with forensic police in BKK when a brit dies?. I was told by RTP it is the law

Hello @brianthainess. Post-mortems are normally required in Thailand following the death of a non-Thai national. Exceptions may apply if the death occurred in a hospital unless the cause of death is unknown, unnatural, sudden or violent. 

You can find more information about what to do after a British person dies in Thailand on GOV.UK.

Hope this answers your question. ????

• Thanks 2

On 7/17/2023 at 8:30 AM, British Consular Team said:

Hello @brianthainess. Post-mortems are normally required in Thailand following the death of a non-Thai national. Exceptions may apply if the death occurred in a hospital unless the cause of death is unknown, unnatural, sudden or violent. 

You can find more information about what to do after a British person dies in Thailand on GOV.UK.

Hope this answers your question. ????

Thanks for your reply, BUT That also depends on the local police/hospital, my friend died in hospital from a long 4yr no cure illness, MND ( he was eventually hospitalized for just 3days before he died) the local police Insisted he be sent for Autopsy, to BKK. from KC So up to them init.