Friend In Need

davejonesbkk

Hi there

I have a friend who has been teaching English in Thailand quite a few years now and he's kinda srewed up....big time.

Basically he got a fake degree, actually he got 3 (not too sure why or how but I think he got a new one everytime he changed job). Anyway he found out a few months ago that there is a warrant for his arrest at the airport so he quit working and is now 'laying low' so to speak, but he has now overstayed 3 months.

He now wants to fly out of Thailand and go back home but hes scared of getting arrested and thrown in jail.

Is there any chance he can pay a fine and leave?

Im talking about a decent bloke here, he only got the fake degrees so that he could work, he's no scumbag criminal, drug addict or anything like that and he's in a bad way.

If anyone has any ideas (such as a good lawyer who might help) then please respond, but please dont leave any of those "he deserves to go to jail, screw him" type comments.

Thanks in advance

Dave

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did he find out about the warrant?

Surely if the authoroties knew he was working illegally they would have come and arrested him at the place he was working.

could there be something else you don't know about?

Mark

How did he find out about the warrant?

Surely if the authoroties knew he was working illegally they would have come and arrested him at the place he was working.

could there be something else you don't know about?

Mark

He went into his employers office one day (I think it was some agency for english teachers) and they told him that the police had been in asking about him with a warrant...

I would imagine had they come in to his place of work with a warrant, they would have demanded that the employer hand over details as to where the guy lives etc, his employer would have known these details for sure.

It could be ( and i hope it is) a wind up!

He went into his employers office one day (I think it was some agency for english teachers) and they told him that the police had been in asking about him with a warrant...

ok, the big question is was this some crappy agency that he was having a dispute with or anything? I only ask, because when I first got here I went thru that route to find work - same situation - no degree, no teaching experience but needed work... They were happy to take me on after 25 minute interview, then put me in a REALLY rouch school in the city that was a real eye opener... .. I don't stay with them long as they started messing me about with wages (either not paying on time, or just reducing the hourly rate each fortnight for different reasons...) and the fact that I was breaking up more fights than teaching, and had a knife pulled on me more than once (which the Thai teachers didn't even raise an eyebrow to when told, in fact they kinda made the comment that "this is thialand, deal with it"....)

So, If they are one of these agencys I would imagine they were saying it to scare him... and get him out of the office...

Unless he has been a naughty boy, for reasons he hasn't disclosed to you, I would suggest he gets a flight out asap, pays the fine and comes back to live another day in LOS....

Why shouldn't I leave a "screw him he deserves to go to jail" statement. You beleive, that I am going to condone fraudulent behaviour?

So he doesn't have a registered address for his 90 day reporting?

Sorry, I have no sympathy for him, I spent eight years studying at three universities and had to make sacrafices, so for him to claim that he has been at university whilst only buying them at KSR and claiming a salary on false pretences; well I hope he does get arrested. I know that they do OU courses back in the UK prison system, but not sure about here.

If you want to stay here and work, simple, go and get a proper degree.

Maybe I am smelling a Troll?

P.S. If my grammar and spelling is poor, sorry I'm in my UK prison cell drinking hooch and surfing the net :o

Edited by mrtoad

Why shouldn't I leave a "screw him he deserves to go to jail" statement. You beleive, that I am going to condone fraudulent behaviour?

Sorry, I have no sympathy for him, I spent eight years studying at three universities and had to make sacrafices, so for him to claim that he has been at university whilst only buying them at KSR and claiming a salary on false pretences; well I hope he does get arrested. I know that they do OU courses back in the UK prison system, but not sure about here.

P.S. If my grammar and spelling is poor, sorry I'm in my UK prison cell drinking hooch and surfing the net :o

He asked to not leave replys like this because he is the one that is reading it, not the bad guy! although what his friend has done is wrong, a friend is a friend and he is trying to help.

Mark

He asked to not leave replys like this because he is the one that is reading it, not the bad guy! although what his friend has done is wrong, a friend is a friend and he is trying to help.

Mark

If you post something like this on an open forum what do you expect?

See my first sentence. Whilst I agree that we will all do things for our friends that sometimes may be stretching the limits. I think seeking advice of an open forum such as this will leave him open to posts like mine. Sorry if I offended you, but thats life.

Hi there

I have a friend who has been teaching English in Thailand quite a few years now and he's kinda srewed up....big time.

Basically he got a fake degree, actually he got 3 (not too sure why or how but I think he got a new one everytime he changed job). Anyway he found out a few months ago that there is a warrant for his arrest at the airport so he quit working and is now 'laying low' so to speak, but he has now overstayed 3 months.

He now wants to fly out of Thailand and go back home but hes scared of getting arrested and thrown in jail.

Im talking about a decent bloke here, he only got the fake degrees so that he could work, he's no scumbag criminal, drug addict or anything like that and he's in a bad way.

If anyone has any ideas (such as a good lawyer who might help) then please respond, but please dont leave any of those "he deserves to go to jail, screw him" type comments.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Assuming you are not a troll and the guy who can manage to work here in Thailand on fake degree has some common sense. I would first think that if the police can come to my office then why it cant come to my place. If police can catch me easily from my place and assuming that I am not changing the place then it is obvious that the agency is playing with me.

On the contrary, I dont have any sympathy for him because I think that he is a criminal and he should be punished accordingly. I know you are his friend and you dont want him to be hurt, but think for a moment, how many people he has hurt because he was working on fake degree and the people with real degree was suffering and could not get the job because one self acclaimed three degrees holder is working at that place. :o

Hi there

Thanks in advance

Dave

Assuming you are not a troll and the guy who can manage to work here in Thailand on fake degree has some common sense. I would first think that if the police can come to my office then why it cant come to my place. If police can catch me easily from my place and assuming that I am not changing the place then it is obvious that the agency is playing with me.

On the contrary, I dont have any sympathy for him because I think that he is a criminal and he should be punished accordingly. I know you are his friend and you dont want him to be hurt, but think for a moment, how many people he has hurt because he was working on fake degree and the people with real degree was suffering and could not get the job because one self acclaimed three degrees holder is working at that place. :o

Exactly, it's plonkers like this that make it so difficult for the genuine guys who just want to work and live a quiet hassle free life.

how many people he has hurt because he was working on fake degree

Who has he hurt for goodness sake. He's not a bomber or drug peddler. Arguably if he's clever enough to fake it, he's clever enough to teach without hurting anyone

Get a grip and put it into perspective. I understand why you are p1ssed with him, i too studied for my qualifications and yes, the guy is unquestionably a kn0bhead but he's not Attila The Hun or Sadam.

The op is asking for advice for his friend, just like i would if he was my friend and not asking for "screw him responses" :o

Bojangles does have a point, Mr. Toad.

Today it's this guy, tomorrow it might be a friend of yours.

If you're not disposed to help, at least don't clutter the thread with your sermons.

Whether you would help or not in such a situation is fortunately not being debated here.

I think the last thing the OP needs is a moraliser, otherwise he'd have asked for one, wouldn't he?

Why not do him and yourself a favour and cruise the threads where your acrid opinions are better appreciated?

I am not a troll and this is really happening. Ive known about it a while and thought Id do something about it.

I dont know 100% of the details but Im pretty sure its not a wind up or his ex employer screwing him because he was on good terms with that employer. I think he changed his residence as soon as he heard about the warrant.

I have been told he will get 3 months in jail for each fake degree, so thats 9 months in total. He's a normal bloke who always put a lot of effort into his work but never had a degree and couldnt afford to go back to the UK and do one.

Now he just wants to leave (paying a fine if he has to) and go back home.

Im not getting into the 'people with fake degrees are criminals' thing cos its been done to death on this forum but I will say that I know several 'qualified' teachers who couldnt care less about their jobs and basically only do it to stay in Thailand.

Also Im currently doing a degree here and its ###### hard work and I have zero ill feelings towards him on the matter...

So if anyone has any ideas...(Im thinking of putting him in touch with his embassy)

Bojangles does have a point, Mr. Toad.

Today it's this guy, tomorrow it might be a friend of yours.

If you're not disposed to help, at least don't clutter the thread with your sermons.

Whether you would help or not in such a situation is fortunately not being debated here.

I think the last thing the OP needs is a moraliser, otherwise he'd have asked for one, wouldn't he?

Why not do him and yourself a favour and cruise the threads where your acrid opinions are better appreciated?

Yes, it could even be me tomorrow.

I am merely stating a fact that he has deceived people. If you are little more vigillent, then you will also notice that I have posted previously about non-degree holders teaching English, and that I do not have an objection to it.

I just think that there is little advice that can be given. He has probably got two options - continue to lie low, or just got to the airport and hope that he doesn't get arrested.

There is no sermon from me, just responding to the facts that were stated on the thread. I would imagine that he could just leave the country, as they are not going to be that worried about him staying here are they?

OP, if it were me and I knew there was a real risk of being nabbed at the airport, I'd try for a run to a neighbouring country by fast boat.

I once crossed from Malaysia to LOS, no need for the details, by getting some local kids to show me a hole in the wire.

There are ways out, you just need local knowledge.

I suspect the Thai police aren't too interested or they'd have easily found him already through informers.

But he might have a problem, once out, getting back in as his details may show up for a while on the police database.

I agree that the embassy is his best bet. It may be true that the police were looking for him, but it may not be true that some sort of warrant has been issued for his arrest. Probably someone pissed at him ratted him out to the police. I bet if he went to the airport to leave all that would be on the record for him would be the overstay fine. However going to the embassy is the safest bet.

Must admit, if it were me, and I had no desire ever to come back, I'd do it qwertz's way. Cross into another country, through a small low-tech crossing point, or otherwise, & go home from said other country. I'm not sure the embassy can or will help. Worth contacting them to find out, though.

500 baht a day for overstay.

3months = 90days x 500 = 45000 baht!!! Thats what its going to cost him in over-stay fines. And its increasing each day. I would get a lawyer, go to the embassy, walk through the bush to cross the borders.

Isn't overstay capped at some amount?

Firstly your friend should not panic police have better things to do than chasing your friend.I would go to the embassy and explain the situation and they will put him in touch with a list of lawyers.Sneaking out of the country and getting busted is a much more serious offense than the situation he's in at the moment especially if he's got overstay fines.Better fix the problem rather than doing a runner!

I wonder if the kids he has taught will have any problems getting their degrees, considering they have been taught by a non qualified person. Surely their studies must be affected. :D

Get him a copy of David McMillans book....he got out of the country illegally as well as a jail. :D

I too have no sympathy for the guy, he was working under false pretences, which means he was in the country under false pretences...we hear stories here all the time of these poor sods who break the law or go about things in a non genuine way and then come here disguised as a friend of themselves or in some cases as a real friend of the person, asking for advice on how to get out of a predicament that they only have themselves to blame for being in. :o

Isn't overstay capped at some amount?

Firstly your friend should not panic police have better things to do than chasing your friend.I would go to the embassy and explain the situation and they will put him in touch with a list of lawyers.Sneaking out of the country and getting busted is a much more serious offense than the situation he's in at the moment especially if he's got overstay fines.Better fix the problem rather than doing a runner!

I think you are right - if he sneaked out of the country how would he have a stamp for the country sneaked into?

Do they not check for exit stamps from the last place?

The cap on overstay is 20K I believe.

Just how much verification of degree's do they do in Thailand?

Its been raised in Singapore recently with people jailed then deported for this - one guy did have a MBA but he had changed the school!

All this 'smuggle him across the borders' stuff is very Boys Own-ish, but it's hardly practical. What about onward visas etc?

While I have no sympathy for bogus teachers, I find it very very hard to believe that the police are taking the trouble to ask about him at his school and (supposedly) being ready to arrest him at the airport. He's hardly Carlos the bloody Jackal, for heaven's sake.

Two possibilities strike me. First, the school wants rid of him but are too kreng jai to do it face to face. Secondly, if the police have turned up it is for something other than buying his degree on KSR.

Either way, tell him to front up to the police. Probably a storm in a teacup and, talking of tea, a little tea money will likely see him right.

How many thousands, or millions of baht have the parents of these students paid out to be taught by a liar, and fraud artist while real teachers jump through endless hoops to practice their trade legally?

please dont leave any of those "he deserves to go to jail, screw him" type comments.

You should have typed it in Notepad then.

I'm not condoning the fake degree thing but how many farangs are out there teaching without a degree or with a fake one???? This guy was unlucky enought to get caught! And how many teachers are out there with a Master's or PhD and are absolutey crap teachers? If he was teaching for years he must have been doing something right!

Edited by Momo8

How many thousands, or millions of baht have the parents of these students paid out to be taught by a liar, and fraud artist while real teachers jump through endless hoops to practice their trade legally?

please dont leave any of those "he deserves to go to jail, screw him" type comments.

You should have typed it in Notepad then.

A little extreme to say the least.

You want this guy hanged for using fake id's

How many of the rich spoilt thai kids you teach(if u teach teenagers), use fake id's to enter new and trendy nightspots around bkk

It cannot be easy for you guys teaching with the new rules on degrees and background checks, something that i side with you guys on.

But this guy just wants to know how best to dampen down the situation they have, right

i agree with the previous poster on the tea money gift