Friend In Need

davejonesbkk

To SonnyJ,

Yes, you were quite correct. A lack of the preposition "on", before the date.

My birthday is on April the 15th, is correct.

My birthday is on the 15th of April, is correct.

Sorry! It wasn't a riddle. This is in a text book written by "qualified" people.

Pedantic nonsense. If you know anything about the English language, its history and its CONSTANT evolution you will know it is a living, organic language which changes over time. English is whatever people speak it deem it to be. It can't be 'pinned down' as correct in a textbook.

'My birthday is April the 15th' or 'My birthday is 15 April' are both as valid - in a real sense - as your more pompous interpretation.

Depends if your are talking yanklish or correct english as no one in England would say either 'My birthday is April the 15th' or 'My birthday is 15 April'. We would say 'my birthday is on the 15th of April' - you see in England we don't have such as date as 4/15 ..... and 9/11 for that matter is the 9th November.

Constant evolution - my arse - lazy yanks making up their own crap as they go along you mean.

:o

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends if your are talking yanklish or correct english as no one in England would say either 'My birthday is April the 15th' or 'My birthday is 15 April'. We would say 'my birthday is on the 15th of April' - you see in England we don't have such as date as 4/15 ..... and 9/11 for that matter is the 9th November.

Constant evolution - my arse - lazy yanks making up their own crap as they go along you mean.

:o

I'm English. I know English people.

As such I know that their most likely response is a nose pick, an arse scratch, a sniff and a grunt: "15 April, innit. Watcha gonna do 'bout it?"

I don't think anyone in England has spoken a complete sentence comprising more than 5-6 words since the time Ted Heath was prime minister, and then only on BBC television.