Capital One 360 Potential Problems?

Hello expats! 

So, I have a Capital One 360 money-market account with a small balance. It's paying more than 4% right now. Based on that, I want to add significantly more funds. But, I'm wary: 

- I'm using a Google Voice number to get my OTP for online banking. It works and has been working fine. My concern is that it will stop working and I'll lose access to these emergency funds. 

- Do I absolutely need to get a legit US cellphone to do this safely? If so, how would I approach that? Which company? Do I need to activate it in the US? I hate to rely on a cellphone for banking, but I'm weighing options. 

- Am I allowed to hold a Capital One 360 account while living in Thailand? I am a long-term US expat. Could I run into trouble? I opened the account while in Thailand. 

- Are there other banks paying this much on a money market account that won't give me hassles? 

Thanks for your insights! 

4 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

Hello expats! 

So, I have a Capital One 360 money-market account with a small balance. It's paying more than 4% right now. Based on that, I want to add significantly more funds. But, I'm wary: 

- I'm using a Google Voice number to get my OTP for online banking. It works and has been working fine. My concern is that it will stop working and I'll lose access to these emergency funds. 

- Do I absolutely need to get a legit US cellphone to do this safely? If so, how would I approach that? Which company? Do I need to activate it in the US? I hate to rely on a cellphone for banking, but I'm weighing options. 

- Am I allowed to hold a Capital One 360 account while living in Thailand? I am a long-term US expat. Could I run into trouble? I opened the account while in Thailand. 

- Are there other banks paying this much on a money market account that won't give me hassles? 

lol I do the exact same   use google voice for banking and have cap one 360     could always email or call them and ask about this.....really the only thing i use my SIM for is this type of verification for banks and such.........works on my TRowe Price too....Cap one can pay a good rate as its online banking and less overhead with brick and mortar locations.....give em a shout

just be sure to tell them you are on vacation and not living here to be safe...back up email?

7 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

Hello expats! 

sidenote I tried calling t mobile about just having an active # for banking verify etc.....got a bot of a runaround but was told of i kept a small cash balance on my account # would stay active..but a balance just BELOW the lowest monthly plan as it would auto deduct from it...

but google voice has been doing it for me for years....can call and text home for free via wifi

2 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

sidenote I tried calling t mobile about just having an active # for banking verify etc.....got a bot of a runaround but was told of i kept a small cash balance on my account # would stay active..but a balance just BELOW the lowest monthly plan as it would auto deduct from it...

but google voice has been doing it for me for years....can call and text home for free via wifi

Thanks. I need to be super safe though. 

Do you mean that you also have a USA Sim card? I don't. How would I get that cheaply ... only to use for this purpose?

I was going to spill the beans and tell Capital One support I'm an expat. It it disallowed? I really don't want any gray area because I'd be putting my emergency funds in this account. I can't take risks with that. Am I being dumb?  ????

I had another idea. If I get locked out of Capital One online, could I link other account now (like Schwab) to auto withdraw this money in an emergency? 

I've had a Capital One checking, high yield savings account and credit card for 8 years while living in Singapore and Thailand.The checking and savings are in my name as the trustee of my living revocable trust.  I use my credit card extensively throughout Asia. I also have an American Express high yield savings account. 

The address on my account is my mom's house in the US. That has worked best for me so it's simple when they mail a new debit or credit card. I've lived in Asia for over 30 years and always found it easier to use a US address. 

I have a US SIM. For years I was using a Ting SIM, but when I was in the US in June I switched to a Mint Mobile eSIM. I've never had an issue getting SMSs with either. The cost is about $15 per month, but since I travel to the US a couple times a year that works well (unlimited calls and 5GB data per month plus free calls to the US when connected to wifi with wifi calling). Unfortunately to get a SIM, you have to set it up while in the US. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Ebumbu said:

Thanks. I need to be super safe though. 

Do you mean that you also have a USA Sim card? I don't. How would I get that cheaply ... only to use for this purpose?

I was going to spill the beans and tell Capital One support I'm an expat. It it disallowed? I really don't want any gray area because I'd be putting my emergency funds in this account. I can't take risks with that. Am I being dumb?  ????

I had another idea. If I get locked out of Capital One online, could I link other account now (like Schwab) to auto withdraw this money in an emergency? 

I have taken funds out of my money mrkt in T Rowe and moved then to 360...or BOFA,,,,,i linked up google voice to my tmobile # when i back home.....or can even link it to thai #...and possibly use a VPN....i use proton--free to watch US tv apps.....Im here 6 months and 6 home but ive always told 360 im on vacation as i guess im actually a tourist....I always budget my spending and bring a knot of cash with me here for the 6 months as i then drop in my thai bank and never spend all of it......could transfer from T rowe if in a jam as that links to my google voice # too-so have 3 banks i could access from home---just use my thai bank to hold the cash i brought here

I have GV linked to my home phone and my thai phone....is my primary # as I never use my sim #

I think it makes sense to link all my 3-4 US banks together so if I get locked out of Capital One, I use the other bank to pull the money out ASAP. This is probably less trouble than screwing with a US phone I don't need that could get lost. Yeah. 

2 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I have GV linked to my home phone and my thai phone....is my primary # as I never use my sim #

Is your GV # linked to your Thai phone number or did you simply install the GV app and use it on the phone that you use in Thailand?

I don't think it's possible to have GV route a call to your Thai phone number.

My setup is that I use the GV app on the iPhone that I brought with me to Thailand when I moved from USA.

Edited by gamb00ler

20 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Is your GV # linked to your Thai phone number or did you simply install the GV app and use it on the phone that you use in Thailand?

My setup is that I use the GV app on the iPhone that I brought with me to Thailand when I moved from USA.

hmmm i got GV long ago and think i linked it to my US #...BUT i think if you tinker around with GV settings it shows ALL the # linked as i had it linked to many phones as my sim would always change each time i left US and came back so i tried calling tmobile and they have a hidden pay as u go plan that you have to call them and ask about....but i got diff answers...one being if i left like $7 on my tmobile pay as u go plan it would keep the # active and not deduct the needed $10 plan but active due to the $7 on account.......but can check GV settings about linked devices and can also use it on laptop....all my sims in the US are dead-inactive and my GV still works here.. and have had zero issues with it here....I just think the FIRST time u set it up has to be in the US but then can fiddle with it as link other #s and devices....dont think you could set up a GV here as you would need the US sim to get it going but can tinker around.....I also made my GV # look local as if im calling from my US area code or can set anonymous mode.....def a handy app

21 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

correct...running GV on both phones --set up app in US as i think thats the only barrier..not sure if could pull it off via VPN

I think I found a way to do this. The Capital One 360 mobile app will let me log in without any OTP. It's a Thai android phone with a Thai phone number. It worked to log me in! I will thoroughly test and then link all account together so if one gets shut down for any reason, I can move funds by pulling from other bank. It seems like the mobile app is a substitute for OTP, even if it's a Thai phone. Not sure, but this is what it seems like today. I'll test thoroughly. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, NORDO said:

Google is just another communist data collection site.

Is that "communist" as in monopolistic capitalism?

Is it better if you actually understand the pejoratives you bandy about?

Edited by gamb00ler

If you ever do get a USA SIM card, almost certainly it will need to be activated there (and be sure whichever company provides International SMS services). I use TING Mobile (cheap and very good), but seem to remember some BS about having to be a customer for 3 or 6 months before eligible for International SMS. Point being...cover all bases and ask a lot of questions. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ebumbu said:

It seems like the mobile app is a substitute for OTP, even if it's a Thai phone.

I have several financial apps for institutions outside of Thailand.  They all seem to not bother to check my location when using them.  It is likely that the financial institution assumes I'm on vacation or they just don't care. 

Generally a smartphone's physical location is available to a smartphone app.  The "polite" apps ask the user for permission to access, but I hesitate to assume that those apps that don't ask are not grabbing the phones location data anyway.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 1

I’ve had Capital One (CC & savings) for about 7 or 8 years while living in Thailand with no problems.  I have found that I rarely require an OTP when logging in via the website (not app).  When OTP is required, I use Mint (now part of T-Mobile) roaming which I was able to activate while in Thailand and also works great when in USA.  You can link your Cap One account to an external bank or brokerage account if you need to transfer money.  You can do it all from Thailand if you have a PC/laptop.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2023 at 5:28 AM, NORDO said:

I use VYKE for my OTP’s and other WiFi phones requirements.  Google is just another communist data collection site.  Basic Trojan horse for your personal info.

Does VYKE pass as a US phone number and not a VOIP? Does it work with banks that actively restrict VOIP phones like Google Voice? If so, good find! Will try it.