Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Controlling sound home theatre surround sound

Kenny202

Just got a new Samsung TV and connected it to our old Panasonic surround system (8 yr old?) with HDMI cable. Was chuffed to bits that the TV seemed to automatically communicate with the sound system and can adjust everything on the TV remote, rather than have TV and Surround system remote and only one HDMI cable. When I connected the TV with the HDMI cable the sound system automatically went to ARC mode. We use to have it set on Aux connected to a true top box think, I think with RCA cables.

Anyway, everything working perfectly, the only issue I have is when we watch, particularly action movies the sound jumps up dramatically (20-30%) at critical parts of the movie which it is meant to......maybe in a theater etc, but particularly annoying at home and forever have my hand on the TV remote volume control to cut sound and then turn up again when things quiet again. Are there any solutions? I don't seem to be able to display the menu settings of the surround system on the TV...Can change a few things on the sound system with the SS remote, viewing the little display on the front....There are a few presets like clear, movie, soft etc if any of those would make a difference? There doesn't seem to be settings in Netflix and Prime to counter these spikes in volume? Very little I can do on the TV sound menu as most of it is blanked out, I guess because it has sensed the TV sound is being controlled elsewhere. I have had a look at online fixes like setting to night mode (our SS doesnt have that), increasing volume on the center speaker ( I don't think it can do that either).....so looks to me my only setting options I can change on the SS in "Sound mode" are FLAT, HEAVY, SOFT, CLEAR. Also has some surround settings like STANDARD, MULTI CHANNEL, MOVIE, MUSIC and STEREO.

Any help or advice appreciated 

Edited by Kenny202
  • Thumbs Up 1

On your TV do you find "Clear Voice" option?

On Panasonic do you find " Dynamic EQ " or "Dynamic Volume" option?

Try to set those options on/off .

I have LG TV  and Onkyo amp so I am not familiar with Samsung/ Panasonic system. Just trying to be helpful.