Electronics Extension of Temporary Stay via Internet for various visa types

I guess it was about 10 to 12 months ago when I first read the good news that the Immigration Bureau introduced the long-awaited possibility of an "Electronics Extension of Temporary Stay" via Internet for various visa types in Thailand.

If I remember correctly, it was started as a pilot project for Bangkok at that time.

I would be interested to know what happened to this project and in this context I have two questions:
1) Are there any field reports here on the forum about the use of the "Electronics Extension of Temporary Stay" under the pilot project yet? 
2) Are there any announcements yet when the pilot project will be completed and also available in Pattaya and other regions? 

• Thumbs Up 1

You basically pay more (a VFS service charge) and still have to show up at immigration to get your stamp, so I'd guess most people just don't see any benefit. Just to avoid the queue, you can simply make an appointment. 

As Philippines started online extensions of tourist visas (which most people use as can stay up to 3 years) expect/hope this is something that will evolve quickly - although had not been aware of it and visited CW last month.

7 hours ago, Caldera said:

...Just to avoid the queue, you can simply make an appointment. 

And that also works definitely and without problems?
I only ask because I have read reports from people on Facebook who wrote that they were sent back to the queue by the "bouncers" at the entrance despite having an appointment certificate. ????

• Confused 1

@Gaccha: Thank you for the detailed information. And yes I agree with you: under the given circumstances I will also still wait and rather take on the misery of endless queues. Still better than having paid the whole fee for nothing because of a small mistake. 

There is one additional point I should make: the surcharge depends on the urgency of the application. Same-day turn around is expensive but guaranteed. The cheapest version, which I think is a 500 baht charge, is advertised as taking between 4 and 7 days.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, zenobit said:

And that also works definitely and without problems?
I only ask because I have read reports from people on Facebook who wrote that they were sent back to the queue by the "bouncers" at the entrance despite having an appointment certificate. ????

Even if that happened, which is possible as you need a number to enter when opened, it would not effect their desk queue time.  That line is just for entry and moves within 5 to 10 minutes and then there is free entry and with queue printout you do not have to go to the queue counter for number assignment inside immigration.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to ask if anyone here has successfully used VFS' online service for extension purposes recently?

Whilst it seems legitimate and endorsed by the authorities considering there is a HUGE "Apply for Electronic Extension of Visa" banner on the Immigration Bureau's website, that directs visitors towards VFS' website....

I just tried giving it a go (for a simple 30 day extension on visa-exempt entry) and after uploading all documents, the final step lands at a page to "Book an Appointment" which lo and behold, there are no appointment slots all the way through February 2024.

This surely can't be right?

Edited by 5ilver

On 7/17/2023 at 5:13 PM, CartagenaWarlock said:

I noticed lots of people are bragging about how they can do extension easily within 10 minutes, just walk in and out. 

After driving 60 miles each way, but they never mention that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 5ilver said:

Just wanted to ask if anyone here has successfully used VFS' online service for extension purposes recently?

Once people discovered that you still need to visit the Immigration office, even when using the system, most people lose interest. All it seems to provide is some document checks in advance, which I guess reduces the risk of a wasted visit to the immigration office.

On 7/17/2023 at 4:44 PM, Caldera said:

You basically pay more (a VFS service charge) and still have to show up at immigration to get your stamp, so I'd guess most people just don't see any benefit. Just to avoid the queue, you can simply make an appointment. 

Thai bureaucracy at its best! Complete everything on line, and then go to the office to get the papers stamped! Brilliant!

On 8/30/2023 at 6:45 AM, BritTim said:

Once people discovered that you still need to visit the Immigration office, even when using the system, most people lose interest. All it seems to provide is some document checks in advance, which I guess reduces the risk of a wasted visit to the immigration office.

Yes I probably imagined so. For me, as you said, I had thought that the additional 500 baht service fee for the regular service option could have been worth it, just for the peace of mind ahead of a trip to the immigration office.

That being said, just to update, I had written a complaint to VFS regarding my experience and lo and behold, I received a response stating that contrary to what they advertise, a customer's only service choice is the "super urgent' (5000 baht) i.e. next-day service option. Once selected, appointment slots will magically appear to a customer.

So this means that their 'regular' 7 days (500 baht) and 'express' 3 days (1500 baht) service options are pretty much, nothing more than a sham. Why am I even surprised.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 5ilver said:

That being said, just to update, I had written a complaint to VFS regarding my experience and lo and behold, I received a response stating that contrary to what they advertise, a customer's only service choice is the "super urgent' (5000 baht) i.e. next-day service option. Once selected, appointment slots will magically appear to a customer.

So this means that their 'regular' 7 days (500 baht) and 'express' 3 days (1500 baht) service options are pretty much, nothing more than a sham. Why am I even surprised.

Thanks for your report. They've really managed to make this offer a complete joke with that change.

For an extra 5000 baht, they should pick up your passport at your residence and return it duly stamped.