Proof of Thai address

Just had a call from my Santander bank in UK asking for proof of my Thai address or the will restict my account.

As with all of us everything is in wife's name so have no utility bills etc.

I have asked the UK pension service to send me a letter with my Thai address at the top but I have a 14th August deadline to furnish the document and it can take that long for them just to post the letter let alone for me to receive it.

I have a yellow Tabien Ban book but it is all in Thai and unlikely acceptable to an English bank.

I also have a thai driving licence but the address is on the back in tiny letter which is otherwise totally blank so could be anything so very likely not proof.

Any ideas would be gratefully received

I've used my Thai driving licence as proof of address for the UK. If you have the app you can download a clear screenshot of it. Most of my Thai address is missing from the English translation, but they have no idea what a Thai address is supposed to look like anyway. I told them it was the equivalent of writing the house number and postcode in the UK, and they accepted that explanation. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Do you have a Thai bank account in your name? A copy of a statement with your name and Thai address may work.

Failing that, do you have a statement from a mobile phone account that is in your name? 

Yeah I have a Bangkok Bank account but there is no address attached to it. I guess I could ask them to send me a statement but whether they would add an English language address to the header is another matter. 

If you get a Certificate of Residence from your local Immigration Office (same document that you need for driving licence application), you could have it translated and certified - there's often a translation service near to Immi.

You need the following docs to get the certificate:

• Your passport plus a copy of the photo page
  • Copy of your Visa
  • Copy of your TM 6 Departure Card
  •  2 x passport-sized photos
  • Copy of your lease agreement/house registration book (yellow Tabien baan)
  • Copy of receipt of address notification 
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, somo said:

As with all of us everything is in wife's name so have no utility bills etc.

No not ALL of us.

3 hours ago, somo said:

I also have a thai driving licence but the address is on the back in tiny letter which is otherwise totally blank so could be anything so very likely not proof.

Tiny letters then expand the image

2 hours ago, somo said:

Yeah I have a Bangkok Bank account but there is no address attached to it.

It's Bangkok bank head office

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

Thai driving licence. Copy front and back.

Yes it has your PP number, i would send those with a copies of your PP. IMO

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

Santander are a pain.

They have tried to shut down my account three times now.  My account remains open as I fought them tooth and nail each time.  The third time I wrote to them or called them on a daily basis for over a month before they caved in.

Banks will provide statements; or to be more exact Siam Commercial and Government Savings did in my case.  The statements look incredibly Mickey Mouse.  A bit like something you knocked up at home with a cheap printer and a rubber stamp bought at a local market but they were accepted as valid by Santander.  Both banks were happy to put whatever address I wanted on the statements based on zero evidence.

Evidence of address from Immigration is also worth pursuing.  I think in theory that should be free but assume tea money will be involved plus possibly a translation cost.

I now have two back up bank accounts in the UK that I opened recently.  If they function smoothly over a period of time I will drop Santander.

6 hours ago, somo said:

Yeah I have a Bangkok Bank account but there is no address attached to it. I guess I could ask them to send me a statement but whether they would add an English language address to the header is another matter. 

Maybe there's a facility to do a self update of address on the BBL site. Many banks outside of LOS do that now.

Just update the address yourself and then print.

On the other hand you say you have a BBL bank account, worth calling the bank call centre and ask for their help to achieve what you need.

If you also have a K Bank account their call center is much more customer friendly and helpful. 

On 7/19/2023 at 2:53 PM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Do you have a Thai bank account in your name? A copy of a statement with your name and Thai address may work.

Failing that, do you have a statement from a mobile phone account that is in your name? 

I’m with Santander, they wouldn’t accept a mobile phone or credit card bill, but they did accept a Kasikorn statement that l downloaded via the K+ App.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I’m with Santander, they wouldn’t accept a mobile phone or credit card bill, but they did accept a Kasikorn statement that l downloaded via the K+ App.

You were lucky.  I'm having problems with financial institutions that won't accept bank statements printed out from downloaded statements.

Edited by Yorkshire Tea

13 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

You were lucky.  I'm having problems with financial institutions that won't accept bank statements printed out from downloaded statements.

Go to the bank and get a stamped/signed printout!

PS; BKK will even change your Thailand (Thai) address into English!

They did it recently when I needed proof of address to renew a UK passport!

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

Hello, I'll be taking a driving licence in bkk or cm on a tourist visa 30 days. May I know how and where to get a TM30 for residence certificate on a tourist visa without any rental contract ?
Can anyone tell me which hotel or guesthouses can help issue TM30 if i just book a day or 2?

Any advice is deeply appreciated.

Thanks