Domestic Cats - Perfect Killing Machines

Yes, cats are cute and cuddly, but, they are natures perfect killing machines. It's in their nature to hunt and they do it superbly.

Unlike other animals that hunt, which usually stop after they have filled their bellies, cats keep on killing, even when they have no intention of eating what they kill.

I have a beautiful, large garden and I take great pleasure in watching the wild-life in it. Many, many species of song-birds, beautiful skinks and garden post lizards. Some harmless snakes like the Golden Tree snake, black squirrels and even a couple of small monitor lizards.

Since a couple of domestic cats have moved into the neighbourhood, there are half as many birds, the skinks and other reptiles have gone and the squirrels stay high in their trees instead of playing on the lawn.

Keep your cats indoors, the local fauna cannot handle this assault by domestic cats. Shame on you if you let them run loose. They are decimating the native fauna.

I don't know how "Sir" Burr has determined they're domesticated cats. A well-fed domesticated cat will often still try to catch wild pray but they're usually hopeless at it. The wild cats are much more efficient at this game. Having domesticated cats in your area usually helps keeping away wild cats so at the end of the day you should be happy they're there.

Edited by Phil Conners

These are NOT wild cats, they are domestic cats. They are fed by their owners, yet, they still kill. The native wild-life is disappearing from my garden. You don't think this is a cause for concern?

As far as I know, there are no real wild cats on Phuket.

Edited by Sir Burr

I'm an environmental and animal lover, not only dogs and cats, and can very well understand Sir Burr's distress. If I would see a cat disturbing my wild life in the garden, I certainly woud have many missiles (plastic bags filled with water) ready to aim at their heads (that means that I miss 99.9% of the time :o). (Still) Often quite effective.

And aren't domesticated cats or those that run wild now a huge problem for, for example, New Zealand's wild life? IMHO, Sir Burr has a very valid point here.

Nienke

edit / for writing name wrong. Sorry!

Edited by Nienke

And aren't domesticated cats or those that run wild now a huge problem for, for example, New Zealand's wild life? IMHO, Sir Blurr has a very valid point here.

Yes. Domesticated cats are still perfectly capable of decimating wildlife when introduced to a new ecostructure.

One of the little f*ckers killed 8 of our chicken chicks - I have already dispised cats when I lived in the UK and now it's an eye for an eye time. As if I get in any way close enough to any that I see on our land they're gonna be strung up.

Our land is surrounded by 2 metre walls all holes what holes there is in the front gates have mesh on them - but they still come in.

I'll be poisoning the little f*ckers soon enough - as the OP says keep'em locked in your house if you so love the little bastard creatures.

One of the little f*ckers killed 8 of our chicken chicks - I have already dispised cats when I lived in the UK and now it's an eye for an eye time. As if I get in any way close enough to any that I see on our land they're gonna be strung up.

Our land is surrounded by 2 metre walls all holes what holes there is in the front gates have mesh on them - but they still come in.

I'll be poisoning the little f*ckers soon enough - as the OP says keep'em locked in your house if you so love the little bastard creatures.

Pretty violent remarks aren't they? :D

It's sientifically proven that people who are violent to animals can very easy preform violent acts (whether verbal or physical)to people as well, usually starting with the weakest (children and women).

Your post was only written in the heat of the moment, I hope. :o

Nienke

Pretty violent remarks aren't they? :D

It's sientifically proven that people who are violent to animals can very easy preform violent acts (whether verbal or physical)to people as well, usually starting with the weakest (children and women).

Your post was only written in the heat of the moment, I hope. :o

Nienke

the only reason he wants to be violent to cats is because they have killed his baby chickens. How do you jump from that to beating up women and children!!! Get a grip.

1. Have you talked with the owners about the problem?

2. While they may be domesticated cats I doubt they are adequately fed ones. Well fed cats will hunt, yes, but not at that anything near that level of intensity. What is described sounds like cats who need more food. I find that Thais seldom feed their cats adequately (and in the countryside, ditto for their dogs).

My cat has full run of the yard and surrounding fields..and wildlife remains abundant. The only notable absence is mice and rats, which she has thoroughly wiped out. But birds, frogs, lizards et al are plentiful. In 7 years my cat has only twice ever caught a bird and she seldom bothers with them. Catches the occasional jinjok but this hasn't put any noticeable dent in their population. Has an ongoing Tom-and-Jerry routine with the geckos but has never caught one, and doesn't really try all that hard... because she is a very, very well fed cat.

Cats hunting at the level of intensity that has been described are either hungry or lacking in some specific nutrient(s).

the only reason he wants to be violent to cats is because they have killed his baby chickens. How do you jump from that to beating up women and children!!! Get a grip.

It is the ease some people have in (severely and or fatally) hurting another living creature. It starts with the thoughts.

"oh, it's in the way - kill it", "oh, it's bothering me -wipe it out". There's no other animal species that acts like this, only the human being.

How the link is made from violence against animals towards violence against human creatures, just read the reports.

Nienke

Pretty violent remarks aren't they? :bah:

Your post was only written in the heat of the moment, I hope. :D

Nienke

Sir Burr well said!

Now all I need to get a grip of is these bloody cats!

You see even the family who are all devout Buddhist are baying for the cats blood as well on the back of this . .. . so I guess all my wifes family must be one step away from abusing children and women! :o:D :D

PC gone mad . .. just maybe!!!! :D

Edit: Just seen the latest PC bizarre post, do you not actually think that there is a difference between someone wanting to kill a cat since it kills all our chickens chicks incomparision to someone who just wants to torture it for fun????? Or is this too much lateral thinking for a PC addled mind?? We currently now have six eggs and more on the way we don't want a repeat of the previous massacre.

Edited by technocracy

As a recognised animal lover , owner of a well kept cat and dog, would like to say that all cats are predators whether domesticated or wild!! we have a large parrot and glider population in our gardenif I seeour cat stalking anything he gets a blast with a high pressure hose. I dont get any problems with neighbours cats or feral cats . The neighbours have been warned! first time caught they can collect it from the pound costs 70bucks , 2nd time caught is cat suicide, its not brutal or cruel, you get a pet take care of it!!! :o Nignoy

###### I'm glad we don't have anyone like you in our village :o
Why should wildlife suffer or gardens and childrens sandpits be used as toilets, just because of irresponsible cat owners, At least I dont put them in CRABPOTS as Bait!! which is common practise :D Nignoy

###### I'm glad we don't have anyone like you in our village :o
Why should wildlife suffer or gardens and childrens sandpits be used as toilets, just because of irresponsible cat owners, At least I dont put them in CRABPOTS as Bait!! which is common practise :D Nignoy

That's very humane of you... :D

I have 8 cats and they are all well fed. They are allowed out in my garden and if they stray into others space they are reined in. I agree its kind of a drag to see some of the birds not want to hang in the yard or be relegated to the tops of our trees, but such is life. We all have our pet peeves as it were. I am not that fond of dogs, and we had a dog come into our yard tearing up a neighbors cat to pieces. Had this been one of my kids the dog would be dead now ,as it was it took all my will power not to end its life. I hate this dog, and have no doubt I will go after it with a baseball bat if it harms one of my kids. We are looking for a bigger house now with more land so we can give the kids more room to play.

Yes, cats are cute and cuddly, but, they are natures perfect killing machines. It's in their nature to hunt and they do it superbly.

Unlike other animals that hunt, which usually stop after they have filled their bellies, cats keep on killing, even when they have no intention of eating what they kill.

I have a beautiful, large garden and I take great pleasure in watching the wild-life in it. Many, many species of song-birds, beautiful skinks and garden post lizards. Some harmless snakes like the Golden Tree snake, black squirrels and even a couple of small monitor lizards.

Since a couple of domestic cats have moved into the neighbourhood, there are half as many birds, the skinks and other reptiles have gone and the squirrels stay high in their trees instead of playing on the lawn.

Keep your cats indoors, the local fauna cannot handle this assault by domestic cats. Shame on you if you let them run loose. They are decimating the native fauna.

Well, if you're going to keep your cats locked up then you might as well have them declawed as well, otherwise how are they going to protect themselves against other cats or dogs for that matter?

Edited by retirednavyman

Two words: chicken wire. You'll need to put it on top as well as on 4 sides. Especially at night.

If you see the cats coming into or near your yard, spray them with a hose, this will also help deter them.

And, as I said before, talk to the owners. Before you do, may I suggest you purchase as a gift a very large sack of dried cat food (local brands are quite cheap) to bring with you, mentioning how cheap it is and how good for cats' health. Chances are they are being fed table scraps which are mostly rice, which is inadequate in protein for cats. Not that properly fed cat will never hunt -- they will -- but much more sporadically and not travelling so far afield when it is done for recreation rather than driven by hunger. A better diet will help, and hopefully the owners will get the hint.

For the poster who complained of cats defecating in the yard, again there are a number of nonviolent solutions:

1) There are repellent sprays you can buy

2) Hose squirts act as a deterrent without harming the cat

3) Feeding the cats on your property will make them not want to defecate there (if these are feral or underfed cats) (if feral, of course, feeding should be followed by neutering)

4) Set up a litter or sand box near where they enter your property, they'll use that instead

OR 5) A gift of a large sack of kitty litter and box to the owner as a tactful hint (if these are owned cats). Cats are very fastidious and will prefer to defecate in a litter box if one is provided and kept clean. My cat asks to come in from outside just to use her litter box.

And for those who feel compelled to say unkind things about cats or issue violent threats, please remember that this is a forum for animal lovers, and take your negativity someplace else!!!!

I see I have got a few peoples backs up with my comments, but the truth hurts, in germany cats caught poaching wild life, are killed!! whether shot or trapped,is immaterial, no leeway with any feral animal, dog or cat death sentence , feral or cats and dogs beyond the control of the owners here in Sunny queensland, if the shooters dont get them they get poisoned, if you want your cat to run free Build an outside enclosure for it.This has got nothing to do with the love of animals it is common sense and understanding your neighbours,in 1978 in Aachen in west germany because of 1 domestic cat that contacted rabies over 2000 dogs and cats most of them family pets were destroyed, I count that as one of the worse experiences in my zookeeping career because deer, antelope, goats, Bison were also put down because they MIGHT!!!!!!!!!have had contact with a rabid animal!! all keepers and veterinary staff had to have a course of serum injections.Methinks that rabies is still a common viral infection in thailand, let your cats run free folks :D I need anew davy crocket Hat :o Nignoy

Two words: chicken wire. You'll need to put it on top as well as on 4 sides. Especially at night.

If you see the cats coming into or near your yard, spray them with a hose, this will also help deter them.

And, as I said before, talk to the owners. Before you do, may I suggest you purchase as a gift a very large sack of dried cat food (local brands are quite cheap) to bring with you, mentioning how cheap it is and how good for cats' health. Chances are they are being fed table scraps which are mostly rice, which is inadequate in protein for cats. Not that properly fed cat will never hunt -- they will -- but much more sporadically and not travelling so far afield when it is done for recreation rather than driven by hunger. A better diet will help, and hopefully the owners will get the hint.

For the poster who complained of cats defecating in the yard, again there are a number of nonviolent solutions:

3) Feeding the cats on your property will make them not want to defecate there (if these are feral or underfed cats) (if feral, of course, feeding should be followed by neutering)

4) Set up a litter or sand box near where they enter your property, they'll use that instead

OR 5) A gift of a large sack of kitty litter and box to the owner as a tactful hint (if these are owned cats). Cats are very fastidious and will prefer to defecate in a litter box if one is provided and kept clean. My cat asks to come in from outside just to use her litter box.

And for those who feel compelled to say unkind things about cats or issue violent threats, please remember that this is a forum for animal lovers, and take your negativity someplace else!!!!

I see, because if the irresposibility of the cat's owners, I'm expected to fork out thousands of baht to make my garden look like a prison camp by putting up chicken wire fences??!! My garden is over 2500 square metres!!

Buying them cat food??!! Just who is the wronged party here?

The owners will not lock up their cats, so, that option is out. I will continue throwing stones at them and just hope one day I get lucky and hit one. There's always the 'chicken' option.

I am an animal lover, if a couple of cats have to die to save birds, lizards and snakes, so be it.

I see, because if the irresposibility of the cat's owners, I'm expected to fork out thousands of baht to make my garden look like a prison camp by putting up chicken wire fences??!! My garden is over 2500 square metres!!

Buying them cat food??!! Just who is the wronged party here?

The owners will not lock up their cats, so, that option is out. I will continue throwing stones at them and just hope one day I get lucky and hit one. There's always the 'chicken' option.

I am an animal lover, if a couple of cats have to die to save birds, lizards and snakes, so be it.

I fully agree.

Why should the victim be the one who has to bear the expense and inconvenience! A totally ridiculous “solution”!

I am an animal lover but frankly hate cats, I had a next door neighbour who kept 10 of the things and they were allowed free reign to hunt and defecate wherever they happened to be. I have a good garden here in Bangkok and to a large extent it’s designed to encourage wildlife. When these cats started to hunt in my garden I bought a cheap Pellet Gun from Chatuchak and used it frequently. I also warned the neighbours that I would take stronger measures unless they controlled the animals – including putting collars with bells on them.

I have a couple of different species of Squirrel who regularly visit my garden and even though these are predators too – and will kill young birds at the nest etc. – I accept that as part of nature.

Domesticated cats allowed to run wild are not part of nature.

Patrick

I had a cat, Lizzie, for 16 years. She was a lovely wonderful cat who never hunted birds. Mice and rats, yes, but hey they are vermin and are there to be hunted, IMO.

She was trained off the bird hunting instinct as a very young kitten by a very protective mama hen from next door. Never went for a bird again. She rarely hunted lizards, I guess she was well fed enough. I believe the fact that she had a high protein diet (essential to kitties who are carnivorous and not omnivores like dogs) was the reason she was not a big hunter. She had plenty of good food.

I find it sad that people tend to blame the animal for the poor behavior of the owner. We've already seen it in the "lets poison the dogs" thread opened recently, and now here with a definite anti-cat brigade. I agree, you shouldn't have to spend money keeping out the neighbors cats. But I also disagree with the virulent aggressive attitude displayed to an animal, who through no fault of its own, is forced to fend for itself. Instead of blaming the animal, why not try to catch it and sterilize it? Who cares if its your neighbors cat or not? If they don't care enough to take good care of their pets they probably won't notice the sterilization anyway. And then, instead of doing something negative, you have done something positive.

Anyway, that's only one person's opinions but I would rather live my life having felt I had done some good than in anger blaming an animal that has no choices.