Roof on my house is leaking, how to fix it? Photos included ...

AndyAndyAndy

During raining there's a water dripping on a ceiling (2 spots). And it is eating through drywall's ceiling into rooms. Because water can run some distance before dropping it is hard to pin point exact location. Three people were already on top of the roof and none of us can find where it is coming in. There are no obvious spots where would water be pooling, no cracked roof tiles. But it is somewhere upper in this triangle. So that's the first problem, can't find it.

Second problem is what type of products are available for fixing this kind of roof? Workers are of course recommending cheapest 60 Baht tube of silicone /or/ paying them to make a new roof. ????‍♀️ I think it should be some product similar to tar? I need something to fill the obvious holes and cracks (second picture, cement was used - but I don't it is coming in through here, because it is downwards slope and it's on a wrong spot). And also question if there isn't available some thick sealing "paint". Paint the entire roof over, let it go in all cracks and solve it like this.

1.thumb.jpg.fd97a01b45e95bb6f50d9fde2255eaab.jpg2.thumb.jpg.aa6c9e3f50d6131b5a85805be9d2ab9e.jpg

Use your garden house to spray sections at a time.  May be a slow process but sure to pinpoint.  Spray at different angles and areas. Silicone is fine for small areas.  Look out for cracks, gaps,  screw holes.  Just takes time and good reasoning. Perhaps previous people who checked couldnt be bothered putting in the time and effort.

• Like 1

I usually put clear silicone on any cracks.

It will hold for a few yrs.

If you put a new roof, be prepared for tons of asbestos dust.

Unless you go for a tin roof.

I would recommend to patch it and let younger generations inherit the problem.

This one is so simple it isn't funny! 

My wife apartment building roof is exactly the same material.  It is cheap of the cheapest. 

First at some point it will need replacing so save up. 

For years I would see water stains just as you are indicating when it was thunder lighting with permission from tenant go in remove the ceiling panel access with a ladder giant flash light from where stains are located and up with these panel how they are installed you look hard enough you mostly likely see it although the panels are dark. It will come somewhere within the room area. 

Dont let the workers get 80 baht tube to fix problem at place like Homepro has a number of products take s look at the picture in front of product " roof sealant "  around 700 baht for a big bucket can apply with s brush.. 

You see your caps top of roof they look fairly new but it still can come from there the roof material is very cheap and brittle especially when aging which I can see.  Replacing panel 85 baht if heavily damaged but here is mostly likely the problem!

Panels are held down with these metal screws within these screws is a rubber washer that is what keeps the water out. With the heat here in Thailand the metal framing expland and contracts the screws come loose. 

In the end doing it myself I took a 10-12 mm,  socket cordless drill climb up on roof Im very light 55 kilos only walk where screws are inserted that is where the framing the strongest panel old can crack easy.  Tighten each screw down you will cleared feel they are loose my roof 300 screws once that was done I took the bucket of sealer with a brush put sealer over each screw and hairline cracks. After a full winter with no leaks went back up with cordless paint sprayer painted roof four years now no leaks. Good luck

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 2

I'd put a new tin roof on timber laid across the old roof...that way you don't have to destroy stuff looking for  a leak and the new roof over old acts as insulation...

By the time somchai and crew have gone through all the Bush fixes that didn't work the new roof over old will work out cheaper and less frustration waiting for rain to see if the leak was still there

• Thumbs Up 2

I had a similar problem as the OP, had two leaks at the opposite ends of the house, both just under the roof's apex.  The first fix we hired two local guys that checked it out and came back with that roof sealing paint and painted along the apex, the leaks slowed down but were still there.  Second fix two other local guys doing construction on another house nearby came over with a small bucket of cement and applied it all along the apex, then painted over that, problem solved.

IIRC total cost about 3 or 4,000b, and that was about 8 years ago, no problems since.

image.jpeg.988661dd581f9adc6cfce0673a923121.jpeg

• Like 1

You have to give every screw/bolt a wiggle to see if any are lose, and see if those rusted and probably sized threads will tighten any before they break off. ???? Also the rubber washers could be <deleted>d

Another option would be to remove the lower middle sections and see if there is any evidence where it starts. Use a hose also. Do you not have access to the roof space, with a good torch when its raining. IMO the ridge tile cement won't leak unless a real strong wind drives the rain up. 

1 hour ago, rwill said:

Roof leaks can be hard to find.  The water can travel down the inside of the roof before it starts hitting your ceiling.

Perhaps get someone to paint the roof with a waterseal product if you don't want to replace the roof.  Make sure it cleaned very good first.

Homepro Roof Seal products.

Bingo, thats exactly what i had done on the effected area, no more leaking for the first time in 15 years. I've lost count of the number of workmen that have attempted to solve the problem including the developer who built the house.

3 hours ago, jcmj said:

The other option is going into the attic and having it spray foam sealed. 

This worked for us after trying many other things that did not work.  As others have said, it can be difficult to determine exactly where the leak is with a tile roof.  

• Like 1

Dr fix it coal tar epoxy for joints and cracks. really great stuff. you can buy bags of tar rock at thai watsadu for 800 bht i think. you have to find a way of melting it though. your tiles are the cheap grade... you should consider upgrading it when the rain season is over. too bad the rain season just started now...

Coaltar.jpg

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

You have to give every screw/bolt a wiggle to see if any are lose, and see if those rusted and probably sized threads will tighten any before they break off. ???? Also the rubber washers could be <deleted>d

Another option would be to remove the lower middle sections and see if there is any evidence where it starts. Use a hose also. Do you not have access to the roof space, with a good torch when its raining. IMO the ridge tile cement won't leak unless a real strong wind drives the rain up. 

I agree when comes to the screws the rubber washer it should be checked removing and installing new ones.  

Here is the problem I wrote and did it the way I did the material is a composite cement like I'm only 55 kilos tip toeing I crack a number of them when I had to remove some badly damaged panel it took forever to get some screws out the longer I spent on the roof the greater the chance.  In all the workmanship was bad just this putting in the screw the reason I decided to tighten each screw down and put a silicone type sealer on top of each screw to keep them Down. 

For those who say the leak can come from anywhere hard to detect true to a point but not these types of roof and certainly spraying foam isn't cost affective in my opinion it is only hiding the problem the cost would be greater than removing and replacing. 

Many I assumed solutions are talking about more expensive type roofs comparing to their own homes this type of roof I think not with the screws. To put in a heavier type the current framing will need to be completely removed and replaceed with stronger steel.

From the picture the area being noted the leak isn't too far,  at best a 10 feet area my suggestion go up tighten all the screws within the area and wait next big storm.. 

I like a challenge if the ops read this you in Pattaya area Darkside in particular give me a PM,  I would be glad to come over climb up and take a look for you if it is a one story. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

To put in a heavier type the current framing will need to be completely removed and replaceed with stronger steel.

A tin roof would be lighter and now can buy with 2'' foam insulation.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Yes I agree 200%  tin roof with underlying insulation foam would be far better than what he has on now.  if replacing  in future my rental roof I plan to do just that as you noted there are some great stuff now with foam insulation attached under the panel. 

But if he want to buy time save a few baht. I took another look at his photos aside from the caps which look fairly new the roof panel all the coating is gone very common what is worst take a look at the screws the screws used are the old style they are sticking up at less an inch from the panels they didn't even use the screws with the rubber washer. They are all rusted from photo I dead sure where leaks are coming from even not clear photo I can see water stains sentiment around them. 

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1

I have a similar roof but mine is steeper . I tried to get up on the roof to repair a crack in the cement board sheet but I could not safely climb up the roof because I kept sliding down . Also these old cement board sheets are brittle and stepping on the raised screws can cause a crack . I had a small Thai guy climb up but he broke a roof sheet . These old roofs are dangerous to try and walk on , so forget it . You would be better off catching the leaking drips in a bucket within the loft space . Make the loft space accessible and if possible , floor board it and have a couple of lights . The truth is you will have to replace the roof . The insulated metal sheets ( as mentioned by ( brianthainess ) can be cut to length , thus no horizontal joints . They will also make your house cooler .

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, bbko said:

I had a similar problem as the OP, had two leaks at the opposite ends of the house, both just under the roof's apex.  The first fix we hired two local guys that checked it out and came back with that roof sealing paint and painted along the apex, the leaks slowed down but were still there.  Second fix two other local guys doing construction on another house nearby came over with a small bucket of cement and applied it all along the apex, then painted over that, problem solved.

IIRC total cost about 3 or 4,000b, and that was about 8 years ago, no problems since.

image.jpeg.988661dd581f9adc6cfce0673a923121.jpeg

Ops roof material not the same.

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

exactly what i have. many said it would make noises... i did not believe it... i dont hear creaking but sometimes it makes rather loud humps and thumps because of expansion. not at all the kind of noise i expected. i still love my roof despite the actual loud noises

• Thumbs Up 1

We had a leak and I went on the roof to fix with sealant. Next thing I knew I was in an ICU hospital bed.

I fell through the roof for 3 metres until I hit the ceiling, broke through that and fell another 3 m onto the granite floor.

I was lucky - no broken bones or permanent injuries that I am aware of. The accident insurance on my SCB ATM card paid most of the hospital bill.

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2023 at 2:41 PM, Artisi said:

Fibre glass mat and epoxy, there are companies who do this.

Cover the whole ridge-cap and overlap onto the sheeting. 

Yep apply the sno roof then a layer of the fiber tape and a thin later of sno roof on top.

42 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

exactly what i have. many said it would make noises... i did not believe it... i dont hear creaking but sometimes it makes rather loud humps and thumps because of expansion. not at all the kind of noise i expected. i still love my roof despite the actual loud noises

I only have the thin silver insulation (thick foam not available 6 yrs ago ) and no roof space, I quite like hearing the rain on it, makes me feel safe and snug at night, Ticking noises when sudden heat changes, like when the sun is suddenly hidden by clouds.