Roof on my house is leaking, how to fix it? Photos included ...

AndyAndyAndy

It is said, the screws.  Tighten or replace. The sealing rings can get hard or even break in long time. 

But second pic shows a crack and needs attention too, fill the cracks, but have a metal brush to clean first. Capillary working of the crack can suck in water when raining.

Bitumen sealing or a kit for higher temperatures, as your roof can get hot.

12 hours ago, brianthainess said:

A tin roof would be lighter and now can buy with 2'' foam insulation.

One brand is colourbond. Comes in several colours which is permanently in the finish of the sheel sheets.

We used the one with insulation already fixed on the underside. Roofer wouldn't do the job unless he installed a steel rafter framework first, which wasn't that expensive and done in less than 2 days. Then the very long colourbond sheets, again quite fast. 

The insulation worked, the house was noticeably cooler and the insulation also kills 90% of the sound of heavy rain etc.

Completed about 12 years ago, still looks good, never had one drop of water come in. 

Same guy replaced several sheets of drywall ceiling, all in 1 day, Same day joins all sealed, next day he repainted all ceilings throughout the house.

Very satisfied. 

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

15 meters is max, sounds like your guy knew his job :thumbsup:

YES he did. I mentioned that the roofer guy woudn't do the job unless he constructed new steel rafters.

WHY? It was discovered the old wooden rafters were in a very poor condition and in many spots the wood was wet and had seriously disintergrated, fixing the colourbond sheets to the wood would not have been sensible and very possibly the wood rafters would have collapsed when the workers were trying to fix the colourbond sheets.

8 hours ago, brianthainess said:

15 meters is max, sounds like your guy knew his job :thumbsup:

That, like several other posts, is both definitive and completely wrong.

Colorbond can be, and is, rollformed on site, so the maximum length is hundreds of meters. 
I have personal knowledge of a house that used 22 metre lengths.

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That, like several other posts, is both definitive and completely wrong.

Colorbond can be, and is, rollformed on site, so the maximum length is hundreds of meters. 
I have personal knowledge of a house that used 22 metre lengths.

On site ? they only do it at their shop where I am and max length i5m to be delivered, that is the length of their 'rollform' big heavy machinery, and any bargeboard, ridge bending machine has a max of 3meters length. 

What you experienced is not the norm but yes anything is possible. 

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

On site ? they only do it at their shop where I am and max length i5m to be delivered, that is the length of their 'rollform' big heavy machinery, and any bargeboard, ridge bending machine has a max of 3meters length. 

What you experienced is not the norm but yes anything is possible. 

It certainly is normal, the machinery for that is mounted on an artic trailer so can go anywhere a tractor trailer can. It is not needed for the majority of builds, ours only needed 7 metre lengths so was formed in the shop. To my certain knowledge the artic’s have been in use in Thailand for at least the last 12 years. That a shop has a limit of 5 meters is not normal as the roll forming machines have no technical limit, other than the length of the steel roll.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

55 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I said 15 meters in my original post !5 was a typo. 

5 meters or 15 meters is irrelevant to the length the machine can produce.

it is likely to be a transport limit  

So as you can see the limit is just for convenience it has nothing to do with the machine size.

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

max length i5m to be delivered, that is the length of their 'rollform' big heavy machinery,