Paan Maa

Totster

Can someone tell me what paan maa means and give an example of it's use.

The wife is saying it means "before", but when I try my own example I'm not getting it right.

She is saying it can be used like if someone is asks if you have seen a Tesco Lotus on their way from a to b, you can say "paan maa" (if you have seen one).

Thanks in advance

Totster :o

p.s - sorry, not able to type thai here.

The wife is saying it means "before", but when I try my own example I'm not getting it right.

She is saying it can be used like if someone is asks if you have seen a Tesco Lotus on their way from a to b, you can say "paan maa" (if you have seen one).

Thanks in advance

Basically ผ่านมา is something that has passed by already. ในสิบปีที่ผ่านมาผม...In/during the previous 10 years I...

In terms of seeing things while in transit you would use ผ่านมา when talking about your trip while coming here (wherever here is), as in your example. You saw such and such place while coming (here). However, my understanding is that in wasabi's example "you passed it already," spoken while driving in the car together, then one would say ผ่านไปแล้ว instead.

In this context มา roughly constitutes coming as in ไปไหนมา where are you coming from? as opposed to ไปไหน where are you going? Or, เลยไป "after" or "past" in the context of giving directions. Go 100 meters past the gas station. เลยไปปั้มน้ำมัน100เมตร. 100 meters before the gas station. เลยมาปั้มน้ำมัน100เมตรThough เลยไป is more common. เลยมา is used more often with time as in เลยมาสองเดือน previous 2 months.

Thanks in advance

Basically ผ่านมา is something that has passed by already. ในสิบปีที่ผ่านมาผม...In/during the previous 10 years I...

In terms of seeing things while in transit you would use ผ่านมา when talking about your trip while coming here (wherever here is), as in your example. You saw such and such place while coming (here). However, my understanding is that in wasabi's example "you passed it already," spoken while driving in the car together, then one would say ผ่านไปแล้ว instead.

In this context มา roughly constitutes coming as in ไปไหนมา where are you coming from? as opposed to ไปไหน where are you going? Or, เลยไป "after" or "past" in the context of giving directions. Go 100 meters past the gas station. เลยไปปั้มน้ำมัน100เมตร. 100 meters before the gas station. เลยมาปั้มน้ำมัน100เมตรThough เลยไป is more common. เลยมา is used more often with time as in เลยมาสองเดือน previous 2 months.

hi there,

in ผ่านมา (and กินมาแล้ว, ไปวัดมา, ไปไหนมา, ไปมาแล้ว etc) มา indicates a completed action (translations: 'i have passed (it)', 'i have eaten', 'i have been to the temple', 'where have you been?', 'i've been there before').

ผ่านมา can, in context, mean:

'i have passed it' eg. "ปั้มน้ำมันเหรอ? เพิ่งผ่านมานี่แหละ" "oh, the gas station? i only just passed it!"

'to pass through this way' "ทหารไม่ผ่านมาทางนี้แล้ว" "the soldiers don't pass through this way anymore"

often you will also hear ที่ผ่านมา to mean "that which has passed" or "the past" in general.

ผมเลยปั้มน้ำมันไป100เมตร

i went 100 metres past the gas station

เลยปั้มน้ำมันไป100เมตร

go 100 metres past the gas station

ผมเลยปั้มน้ำมันมา100เมตร

i have travelled 100 metres past the gas station

เลยปั้มน้ำมันมา100เมตร

come 100 metres past the gas station

all the best

ps. as CSS said, มา can also indicate a directional thing, like 'to here'. eg.

ผมอยากจะพาเพื่อนมา = i'd like to bring a friend here

เอามานี่ซิ = bring it over here

ขับรถมา could indicate either a 'completed action' or the 'directional thing' eg.

ผมไปขับรถมา = i have been out driving

ผมขับรถมาที่นี่ = i drove here

Edited by aanon

Thanks in advance

hi there,

in ผ่านมา (and กินมาแล้ว, ไปวัดมา, ไปไหนมา, ไปมาแล้ว etc) มา indicates a completed action (translations: 'i have passed (it)', 'i have eaten', 'i have been to the temple', 'where have you been?', 'i've been there before').

ผ่านมา can, in context, mean:

'i have passed it' eg. "ปั้มน้ำมันเหรอ? เพิ่งผ่านมานี่แหละ" "oh, the gas station? i only just passed it!"

'to pass through this way' "ทหารไม่ผ่านมาทางนี้แล้ว" "the soldiers don't pass through this way anymore"

often you will also hear ที่ผ่านมา to mean "that which has passed" or "the past" in general.

ผมเลยปั้มน้ำมันไป100เมตร

i went 100 metres past the gas station

เลยปั้มน้ำมันไป100เมตร

go 100 metres past the gas station

ผมเลยปั้มน้ำมันมา100เมตร

i have travelled 100 metres past the gas station

เลยปั้มน้ำมันมา100เมตร

come 100 metres past the gas station

all the best

ps. as CSS said, มา can also indicate a directional thing, like 'to here'. eg.

ผมอยากจะพาเพื่อนมา = i'd like to bring a friend here

เอามานี่ซิ = bring it over here

ขับรถมา could indicate either a 'completed action' or the 'directional thing' eg.

ผมไปขับรถมา = i have been out driving

ผมขับรถมาที่นี่ = i drove here

Thanks Aanon.

a modern usage seen often in the Internet posting meaning "passing by" or "passer by".

example: you are not a regular visitor to this website. Today you happen to be visiting this webpage and post a reply. You may sign off as "paan maa" or "ผ่านมา" as a passing-by visitor.