Finally received my new US Passport, when to get the old visa stamp put in it?

It took a couple of months to get my new US passport. I know I should get the old visa stamp transferred over to it but can I just wait till it needs to be renewed in October? 

What are the rules about this? 

Thanks

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

i am not sure what your situation is but, a couple of years ago I got my one year extension, (based on Marriage), but 8 months into my extension my passport expired, so I am thinking no problem, I will have my passport renew go back to IO and have the visa and extension transferred to the new passport, 

NO can do!!  I was told the visa and extension was for the duration of that passport .  so that extension I only got 8 months. 

That was my personal experience that one time.  . Your situation and visa might be different. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Please don't report me, 

It's a well know fact the Extensions are only issued to date of pp expiry.

That's obvious.

Obtaining a pp renewal does not alter that date. 

When you transfer any stamps your permission of stay will not change. 

BTW: Visas are not transfered.

The first page of your new pp will note non O visa information. 

For future extension applications a photocopy of that page will be required. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, sirineou said:

i am not sure what your situation is but, a couple of years ago I got my one year extension, (based on Marriage), but 8 months into my extension my passport expired, so I am thinking no problem, I will have my passport renew go back to IO and have the visa and extension transferred to the new passport, 

NO can do!!  I was told the visa and extension was for the duration of that passport .  so that extension I only got 8 months. 

That was my personal experience that one time.  . Your situation and visa might be different. 

I was in the same situation. They gave me a 10 month extension instead of a year, to when the passport was to expire. Unless someone advises differently, my plan is to wait on the transfer till when I need to get the Visa renewed in October. In other words, I don't think I have to run down to Immigration and get this transferred over now. I'll bring in both passports and get it all done at the same time. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/23/2023 at 3:16 AM, Pinot said:

I was in the same situation. They gave me a 10 month extension instead of a year, to when the passport was to expire. Unless someone advises differently, my plan is to wait on the transfer till when I need to get the Visa renewed in October. In other words, I don't think I have to run down to Immigration and get this transferred over now. I'll bring in both passports and get it all done at the same time. 

You are not reneweing your visa,you are extending your permission to stay.

Hi All,

I am in a similar situation. Have in hand the new passport and old.

(Old PP expires SEPT, New PP began July. Old PP has some holes punched in it.)

What if I would like to exit Thailand for a trip to different locale?

Do i just show up at the Airport with both passports and let them figure it out?

I recall there is some document or stamp i need to exit while on a Non-O based on retirement.

Thank you.

34 minutes ago, Mang Gon said:

Hi All,

I am in a similar situation. Have in hand the new passport and old.

(Old PP expires SEPT, New PP began July. Old PP has some holes punched in it.)

What if I would like to exit Thailand for a trip to different locale?

Do i just show up at the Airport with both passports and let them figure it out?

I recall there is some document or stamp i need to exit while on a Non-O based on retirement.

Thank you.

If leaving by air, allow extra time at the airport. You will need both your new and old passports. The officials will transfer some information from the old passport and stamp you out. If you have an existing permission to stay that you want to protect, in addition, you will need a re-entry permit if you do not have one in your old passport. You can purchase a re-entry permit at the airport. If not leaving via Suvarnabhumi, ensure you have a photo for the re-entry permit application.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1