Opinion: Tony Woodsome and the (not so) secret deal

webfact

2 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Shinawatra Thaksin keep saying he's coming back but never does.

Me thinks he's doing it just to stay in the lime light.

If he does come back, I bet he won't be a free bird....

He also has said several times he has washed his hands of politics, but the truth is much more obvious.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

One thing I have learned over my years in Thailand is NEVER trust anything a Thai politician says.

It may apply to other countries, but I can't comment on that as I have spent over half my working life, east of Suez in various countries,

• Thumbs Up 1

I would be surprised if he got a royal pardon as they are usually given to those who have at least spent some time in prison. Could happen as a special case I suppose. More likely home detention would be easier to accomplish for a white-collar crime.

1 hour ago, damian said:

Love Voranai's work.

I remember a great show on TV years ago that he had with another great journalist (forget his name) when they both worked for BP and the pair of them would sum up the daily political news in English and absolutely take the p*ss out of the politicians and their behaviour in a most sarcastic fashion. I guess thats why their show didnt last long.  

Well said, a much-missed contributor to BP.

Sadly, the wonderful Atiya, who followed the same pattern, also left that paper a year or so ago.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I think Voranai is spot on; Thailand won’t/can’t change as there’s just too much at stake and too much money and power to be had. There’s no room at the trough for newcomers, particularly reformists. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The date is set, August 10 shall see the return of Tony Woodsome. This confirms a deal that’s “not much of a secret,” Move Forward will not be part of the government.

Funny, I anticipated this right after the election... I should really buy lottery tickets!