Civil Partnership

pkrv

I'm not sure if the title says it all? The UK, and indeed many other civilised countries have now enforced the right of human beings to love over the right of human beings to persecute (under whatever pretence).

How does such an enlightened philosophy now impact on residence in Thailand?

Civil Law in Thailand allows for partnerships which will assist in the acquisition of a visa for long-term stay. These are most often referred to as "limited partnerships" and have no requirement for sexual activity or sexual activity monitering by the government.

thanks mdeland - I am almost 48 my partner is 42, we have been together for some 21 years. In essence I am planning for the future and post to other threads. What would happen in the event I applied for a retirement visa?

I have often speculated on how a Thai Immigration Officer would deal with a legitimate marriage between a same sex couple who came from a country that permitted same sex marriages.

I suspect the answer would be, same sex marriage is not recognized in Thailand so you must go it alone as individuals. This is despite the fact that overseas marriage between opposite sex couples are routinely recognized for immigration purposes.

There was some hope, with the new constition drafters, however, all reports seem to indicate there will be no recognition of equal rights for same sex partners.

In time it will come, unfortunately those of us who are over the age of five, have little hope.

ProThaiExpat - Thanks - I am most certainly no stranger to these issues.

I have maybe two years before I need to engage/resolve the retirement visa point (I know this helps in these matters we are both western).

Perhaps I am looking to see how to address this, not via a local immigration office comes to mind. Thailand is growing up and taking its place in the international community, which is as it should be. Thailand has its own difficulties in terms of beliefs (as demonstrated in the South).

A Secular approach is needed but possibly not understood, OK I am always up for a true challange!