Holiday Tips For Vietnam

Troy Tempest

Dear All,

I am planning a trip to Viet Nam in November for 3-4 weeks starting with entry at HCMC (or Saigon as I believe the locals still call it).

I will be travelling alone at first....Thai GF to join me later.... and would welcome any tips you have such as good travel locations, etc.,

The other thing I was wondering about is the Cash/Payment scenarios.

I live in Thailand and have accounts with KTB and Bangkok Bank, but I only have Debit/ATM Cards from them (Never wanted credit cards here).

I also have VISA Credit Cards from my UK Bank.

I know that in VN they will take US Dollars more or less everywhere....

I don't want to get ripped off by not understanding that a burger can cost 1 Billion Viet Nam Dong with all the extra Zeros  they use!

I welcome your input.

Please be gentle! :thumbsup::jap:

Check your change.

I did a bike trip there a few years back. Filled up the tank around 20 times. Got shortchanged about 17 of those 20. By the end of the trip, it was getting a bit tiring pointing out to them that I could count.  

I probably enjoyed Ho Chi Minh and Nha Trang the most, although to be honest I was glad to return to Thailand after 4 weeks there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Foxx said:

One used to be able to withdraw USD from cash machines.  However, the government stopped that several years ago to boost the local currency.  Unless you plan on taking a lot of yankee dollars with you, get used to counting the zeros.  High end places show prices in thousands of VND.

As for places to visit, Hanoi (capital city), Danang (peaceful, cool), Hoi An (a bit touristy).  I've done the Halong Bay trip thing three times now.  It's no longer as tranquil as it used to be, with far too many boats & tourists.  If you like ruins, My Son is good for a day trip.  If you like the beach, Nha Trang.  The Mekhong delta is popular, but didn't thrill me.

Thank you for the Heads Up!

I love Thailand, but just fancied a change! :thumbsup::jap:

On 8/1/2023 at 6:59 AM, Foxx said:

One used to be able to withdraw USD from cash machines.  However, the government stopped that several years ago to boost the local currency.  Unless you plan on taking a lot of yankee dollars with you, get used to counting the zeros.  High end places show prices in thousands of VND.

As for places to visit, Hanoi (capital city), Danang (peaceful, cool), Hoi An (a bit touristy).  I've done the Halong Bay trip thing three times now.  It's no longer as tranquil as it used to be, with far too many boats & tourists.  If you like ruins, My Son is good for a day trip.  If you like the beach, Nha Trang.  The Mekhong delta is popular, but didn't thrill me.

Thanks for the info.

On this trip I will be enetering and leaving via HCMC.

I will probably stay South and Central...I have heard it can get cold up North at that time of year.

Maybe do Hanoi another time.

As for Ha Long Bay it looks great for Honeymooners and I have seen loads of Youtube videos about the cruises, but a bit too touristy for me!:thumbsup:

"Check your change.

I did a bike trip there a few years back. Filled up the tank around 20 times. Got shortchanged about 17 of those 20. By the end of the trip, it was getting a bit tiring pointing out to them that I could count."

Yeah!...That's what I figured might happen!

Thanks for the warning!

Pain in the DONG! :thumbsup: