VFS Visa agency walk-in without appointment?

I'm German and want to apply for a family visa to unite with minor child for my Thai wife.

Time is short and we live in Chiang Mai so coming to Bangkok is a big trip for us.

Is it possible to apply for a visa at the VFS agency without an appointment?

On their website it is stated that walk-in is possible but it also says that one should check with the branch in the country.

When booking an appointment with the Bangkok branch it shows this option as well which makes me quite confident that it is possible. As stated previously we live in Chiang Mai and are going to travel to Bangkok by car so it would be a bummer if the trip would be in vain.

I would love to confirm this information with the agency directly but it is absolutely impossible to talk to a human operator. When calling the hotline, one can only listen to pre-recroded messages and no human ever picks up the call whatever option we choose.

Is anyone here who has done this before?

I would greatly appreciate if you could provide the information..

Thanks a lot in advance

19 hours ago, Davef2912 said:

I'm German and want to apply for a family visa to unite with minor child for my Thai wife.

Not quite sure what you are asking.

Unless things have changed recently VFS do not have a German office,  all visas are done at the German embassy.

11 hours ago, sandyf said:

Not quite sure what you are asking.

Unless things have changed recently VFS do not have a German office,  all visas are done at the German embassy.

Things have changed:

Schengen visa

VFS Global service center has been assigned to process the Schengen visa application instead. The visa application centers are located in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket.

VFS Global processes your visa application every step of the way. Advise on the preparation of complete documents for filing a claim collecting visa fees collect fingerprints Including returning / delivering your passport after processing by the visa department of the embassy.

https://visa.vfsglobal.com/tha/en/deu

embassy The VFS Global Service Center has been assigned to handle additional new visa applications. From 1 April 2023, visas for nursing practitioners with partial professional qualification certificates It must be submitted at a VFS Global service center.

18 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Things have changed:

Schengen visa

VFS Global service center has been assigned to process the Schengen visa application instead. The visa application centers are located in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket.

VFS Global processes your visa application every step of the way. Advise on the preparation of complete documents for filing a claim collecting visa fees collect fingerprints Including returning / delivering your passport after processing by the visa department of the embassy.

https://visa.vfsglobal.com/tha/en/deu

Not the best of news.

The German Embassy was a bit of a problem, they treated all applications the same. You may not remember but I took the matter up with Solvit and they ruled against them.

That being said the service at the embassy was excellent, you were seen by consular staff and got a decision on the spot.

On 8/2/2023 at 3:10 PM, Purdey said:

You can request an appointment on the date and time you want and they seem very accommodating. 

I have been trying for two hours via their website but it will not let me sign in or create a new account. It says that the mandatory fields, two of them, must be filled in even though they are. Got any suggestions.

2 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

I have been trying for two hours via their website but it will not let me sign in or create a new account. It says that the mandatory fields, two of them, must be filled in even though they are. Got any suggestions.

I wrote an email to the office in Bangkok [email protected] and told them i wanted an appointment on one of 3 days. I said i prefer 9am.

They replied in 30 minutes.

I can't say the Chiang Mai office is the same though.

Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2023 at 2:08 PM, Davef2912 said:

When booking an appointment with the Bangkok branch it shows this option as well which makes me quite confident that it is possible. As stated previously we live in Chiang Mai and are going to travel to Bangkok by car so it would be a bummer if the trip would be in vain

OP, were you able to do a walk-in in Chiang Mai. I am having problems with an Australian visa for my wife. The website will not let me sign in to make an appointment. @Purdey gave me the email above but have not received a reply. We would normally go to Bangkok and need to coordinate the appointment with flights from Phitsanulok, but morning flights are restricted now, and do not want to go without the appointment. The option is to drive to Chiang Mai if they accept walk-ins.