Moving with child to Thailand

Hello everyone!

I am a Filipino citizen. I have a South African partner living and teaching in Thailand.

I used to teach in Thailand. That is how I met him. I gave birth to our son in Thailand but he holds a Philippine passport.

After living in the Philippines, we decided he must go back and teach again in Thailand. I worked in a different field after I left Thailand (7 years). Now, we decided to go back and settle there. I want to teach again. I've spoken to my friend who is recommending me to her school. She also mentioned that if the school accepts me, my son can study there for free. I've sent her my CV and now waiting.

We are not yet in the kingdom (my son and I) but we are ready to leave as soon as there is a school or agency willing to accept me.

We have another plan, which is to get an invitation from my partner and travel as tourists and we will execute our job set up plans as soon as we arrive. I understand that it is easier to get a job when you are already in the Kingdom.

So, can you help me decide which is a better route or if there are other alternative ways?

Also, for additional info, my son has Level 1 autism but verbal and can easily adapt to school environment. Currently he is enrolled in a private school here mixed with neurotypical kids. He is in grade 1 and only speaks English.

I'm looking forward to hearing from anyone who can help. Thank you!

If your husband is already working in Thailand, you can get a Non O visa and subsequent extensions as his dependant. I suggest you explain your situation to the Thai embassy in Manila, and see what they require to issue you the Non O visa. It is easy to subsequently change to extensions based on working.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, KruPlum said:

We have another plan, which is to get an invitation from my partner and travel as tourists and we will execute our job set up plans as soon as we arrive. I understand that it is easier to get a job when you are already in the Kingdom.

So, can you help me decide which is a better route or if there are other alternative ways?

You can get non-immigrant O-type visa as dependent, either spouse to one with a working permit or parent to a child studying in Thailand. If you enter as a tourist, you can change to an O-type visa while in the country.

For work you'll need an B-type visa and to my knowledge you can only obtain that from abroad. However, if you already have an extension of stay, you "can change the reason for your extension to one based upon working, teaching and etc."
Source link...

• 5 weeks later...