Hello, It was 2015 since I was last here need a bit of advice about Koh Chang

richardb

Hi guys and ladies  . So me I got married err my wife remembers exactly a while back . Firstly thanks to the posters on this thread . Whilst DW and DS last went back to  Thailand about 5 years ago covid and all sorts intervened and we did the Mediterranean last few years. I have not been back to Thailand for more than a decade . DW and now 10 yo boy flew out two weeks ago and I will be joining then next week. My boy is currently waiting for me to arrive next week I have promised Beach. Back in the day I romanced my wife in a beach hut at White Sands Beach Resort at the north end of that beach. To sit around at sunset and to wake up and to be right on the sea was magic. We did not need much else. But Trip advisor etc point out its failings that it its at the bottom of the steepest hill and you have to walk along the beach  to get anywhere . And at the time we did not really care. I have after looking on line thinking that Klong Prao is best for us. . Hotels : Geographically the nearest beach to where the family is currently parked up  with mother in law is Da Nang Viet Nam . Wanting to stay married I am not going to propose to my still very THAI Mrs that we go to any beach that is not Thailand . Me ? luxury is great. Wify can tell stories off the old days in the family old house on stilts  etc ( it has not changed much ) and though Mrs now kitted out in Orla Kieily and Marimeko is true to her roots. BOY does not give a dam if he is with me and mama . So Basically if the three of us are together luxury is not an issue. What is important is that we can see the sea  And in no particular order . 1. DW is slim as a rake ( I am not any more )  but has an appetite for food and Thai seafood second to none . local food rocks . I appreciate a carved vegetable in a hotel but my wife wants to get down and dirty with a squillion dishes Thai  style . 2. For my boy. Football on the beach with me and there are famous waterfalls . The waterfalls kook a great daty out. Whats best ? Don't see the need to hire a car Taxis Moto Taxis . I have no clue how that works or costs. 3, My boy is 10 he did a scuba diving thing with the Boy Scouts in a swimming pool. For real in the sea  with fishes? Any thoughts ? 4. For two hours a day we are going to be studying for a UK kids exam called the 11+ .but everywhere has wife nowadays  For rest for the day max fun experiences. 5. Me I will always find a cold beer at the end of the day so no worries . Looking forward to TG916 . Thanks everyone Richard 

• Confused 3

Paragraphs help. Your text is a disorganized mess. Is there a question in there?

Koh Chang is boring and isolated, the boy would probably prefer Hua Hin where he could be a little more independent,

For beaches, the Phuket/Krabi area wins easily. Plenty of beach villas south of Patong. For euro-feel Koh Samui also has many small villas available but the food is bland.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Paragraphs help. Your text is a disorganized mess. Is there a question in there?

Koh Chang is boring and isolated, the boy would probably prefer Hua Hin where he could be a little more independent,

For beaches, the Phuket/Krabi area wins easily. Plenty of beach villas south of Patong. For euro-feel Koh Samui also has many small villas available but the food is bland.

Hua Hin is exciting 555

Chang is better

Krabi is crap now.

• Love It 1

41 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

I can see that you are already enjoying the brews... Nothing has changed in Koh Chang since you were last there... 

Actually you are wrong!!

It has moved 3 inches to the left.  My left not yours. 

21 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

IMO

Hua Hin sucks big time,

Phuket is too expensive and a taxi rip off

Krabi used to be great but I've heard bad things about Railay and of course Ao Nang was dire even 30 years ago.

I liked West Lanta and the beaches were great

I'd go to north Phangan in preference to big Chang any day ( stayed on big Chang once and never bothered again ).

Phi Phi. Had the chance after the tsunami to make it great but blew it big time.

Samet- avoid like the plague.

Samui, used to love it 40 years ago, last time I went there it was dire- waaaay too overbuilt with horrid villas everywhere. Awful.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Love It 1

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

Why is that odd? Rooms are cheap to begin with

Might as well rent 2 rooms then. One bed the room costs 1700 add a small bed an extra 1400. I take it you don't have a family. 

My 2 cents following from previous topic is:

That resort on White Sand Beach is still basic but probably best section of beach on the island. KC Grande close. Kacha good too as noted. As low as 50 bucks AUD for Kacha on beach side room and breakfast on beach.

Best beach for sports as wide and long of course.

Nice resorts on Khlong Prou include at one end Paradise Resort and the new section on the other side of the road called Paradise Hill which has good facilities for kids and is a bit cheaper but you can use the facilities of the beach side resort. A strip of a few half decent restaurants but not much else. 

Santhiya Tree in the middle of Khlong Prou has beautiful new rooms.  10 minute walk from shops but regular shuttles. Near a waterfall too. 100 bucks. Room with pool and breakfast on beach. 

At the other end there is Dewa and Centara. Nice and not too expensive. If you want more basic and a bit fun Blue Lagoon is good near these resorts and seconds from the beach.  

Kai Bae probably has the best food options. As noted in previous topic Sylvan near Kai Bae is nice. 75 bucks AUD full sea outlook and breakfast with panoramic outlook. Beach has a few rocks but bits are clear. 

This and Santhiya Tree are good for impressing the ladies and are dirt cheap in low season. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, bignok said:

1 room costs 500 baht up. 

We travel in different circles. High season at Kacha gaeden side for 2 adults one kid was 3500 baht/nt

It's nice to have a good buffet breakfast and Kacha does a pretty good job. Open beach side seating, nice

Edited by EVENKEEL

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

We travel in different circles. High season at Kacha gaeden side for 2 adults one kid was 3500 baht/nt

It's nice to have a good buffet breakfast and Kacha does a pretty good job. Open beach side seating, nice

we stayed at kacha over the 6 day weekend, 2 nights 30/31  hillside building 1,650thb per night, but no lift and lots of stairs, food, rooms and service very good, beach side for the 1st and 2nd were 1,300 thb per night,

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

I travel 6 months a year. Im not paying 3500 baht. I paid 1000 baht last time. Great room. Sharing a room with kid must suck.

The beaches on Koh Chang are a bit much of a muchness.

I was there during covid - placed looked like the aftermath of a nuclear holocaust - completely dilapidated.

Dangerous roads - treacherous when wet

Got bitten to buggery on many of the beaches there, (aswell as walking along the peripheries), by sand fleas - notably Klong Prao.

Enjoy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

I have done a 180 on Hua hin since visiting last month.

Good night markets, beaches decent,  plenty of male entertainment if you know where to go, nightclubs, golf, malls.

I found it not bad at all.

Its improved.

16 hours ago, richardb said:

Hi guys and ladies  . So me I got married err my wife remembers exactly a while back . Firstly thanks to the posters on this thread . Whilst DW and DS last went back to  Thailand about 5 years ago covid and all sorts intervened and we did the Mediterranean last few years. I have not been back to Thailand for more than a decade . DW and now 10 yo boy flew out two weeks ago and I will be joining then next week. My boy is currently waiting for me to arrive next week I have promised Beach. Back in the day I romanced my wife in a beach hut at White Sands Beach Resort at the north end of that beach. To sit around at sunset and to wake up and to be right on the sea was magic. We did not need much else. But Trip advisor etc point out its failings that it its at the bottom of the steepest hill and you have to walk along the beach  to get anywhere . And at the time we did not really care. I have after looking on line thinking that Klong Prao is best for us. . Hotels : Geographically the nearest beach to where the family is currently parked up  with mother in law is Da Nang Viet Nam . Wanting to stay married I am not going to propose to my still very THAI Mrs that we go to any beach that is not Thailand . Me ? luxury is great. Wify can tell stories off the old days in the family old house on stilts  etc ( it has not changed much ) and though Mrs now kitted out in Orla Kieily and Marimeko is true to her roots. BOY does not give a dam if he is with me and mama . So Basically if the three of us are together luxury is not an issue. What is important is that we can see the sea  And in no particular order . 1. DW is slim as a rake ( I am not any more )  but has an appetite for food and Thai seafood second to none . local food rocks . I appreciate a carved vegetable in a hotel but my wife wants to get down and dirty with a squillion dishes Thai  style . 2. For my boy. Football on the beach with me and there are famous waterfalls . The waterfalls kook a great daty out. Whats best ? Don't see the need to hire a car Taxis Moto Taxis . I have no clue how that works or costs. 3, My boy is 10 he did a scuba diving thing with the Boy Scouts in a swimming pool. For real in the sea  with fishes? Any thoughts ? 4. For two hours a day we are going to be studying for a UK kids exam called the 11+ .but everywhere has wife nowadays  For rest for the day max fun experiences. 5. Me I will always find a cold beer at the end of the day so no worries . Looking forward to TG916 . Thanks everyone Richard 

I’d love to give you some ideas and feedbacks but I didn’t understand your post ?

Fair points ladies and gents .

My post was a bit of a ramble. But amongst the answers I have learned a few things and a plan is coming together .

1. Early morning leave Bangkok to Trat then to Koh Chang.

2. Spend a few nights at Paradise Hill or the Splash resort both on  Klong Prao beach . My 10 yo will enjoy the water park . 

3. Orient ourselves eat out locally.

4. Initially take a guided toor to the waterfalls etc consider a bit of snorkelling.

5. Hire a moped for one or two  days.

6. Consider some of the other hotels but probably not.

7. Ferry to the mainland and off to Koh Kood.

8. The rational is that I reckon Koh Koh will be a bit wilder.

8. Not sure of Hotel yet but something more rustic and most likely bungalow style.

9. When we are not on the beach take boy to some waterfalls and sights.

10. I won't overplan but the basis is now there.

Any comments gratefully accepted.

Richard 

Update to you guys who have not been to Phuket for some years, many people complain about the price of taxi's and you are right, but now we have a few new taxi app's and I would say they are reasonable a couple of months ago i did have to use one of them a few times, always on time and new cars one day i was alone and a Fortuna came for me, the fare was 250 baht, were the mafia taxi's would have been anywhere between 400 to 500 baht, 

Centara Koh Chang is a very nice resort on the beach at klong prao with two swimming pools and a nice restaurant. Breakfast has a massive choice and one of the few places with proper bacon lol. Stayed there a few times now, we like it very much, just stayed there a few weeks ago. Enjoy your holiday.