Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Retirement visa for U.K. couple

I know the retirement visa requirements are being over 50 and having a certain income, or 800k baht in a Thai bank account.   
what’s the rules around a western (U.K.) couple where she is over 50, but the male partner is under 50?  Is this possible?  
And would the couple need to be married? 
both would be able to have 800k in a Thai account prior to application

thanks all in advance 

Thanks gents.  Sorry Dr Jack yes currently unmarried and 15 years going strong, but obviously willing to change that to allow a move.

I also need to look into my spouse being able to draw on my private pension as that is where our main income will come from. 

She's 1 year for being able to draw a pension, just unsure if she can draw/share mine if we were to marry.

26 minutes ago, mrblonde said:

Thanks gents.  Sorry Dr Jack yes currently unmarried and 15 years going strong, but obviously willing to change that to allow a move.

I also need to look into my spouse being able to draw on my private pension as that is where our main income will come from. 

She's 1 year for being able to draw a pension, just unsure if she can draw/share mine if we were to marry.

If you can create a Thai bank account in her name only with a 800,000 Thai baht deposit, that will be the easiest way of meeting the requirements for the retirement extension of permission to stay. In that case, the issue of where income comes from should, hopefully, not become a factor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrblonde said:

From your posts ....my advice if you can afford it is to skip marriage option and both of you and your partner live in Thailand on extensions based on retirement independently.

Other option if marry is for one on you to "piggyback" on the others Non O retirement as a dependent 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Thanks again gents.  We'd prefer to skip the marriage if possible (not that there's anything wrong with her), just looked at it as a way for me to get a visa to remain in Thailand while being under 50.  

Its only in the planning stages at present, but thank you both again.

20 minutes ago, mrblonde said:

just looked at it as a way for me to get a visa to remain in Thailand while being under 50.  

So how old are you? 

Question is visa options related

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, mrblonde said:

I'm just turned 46 (last month).  Ideally I do not want to wait another 4 years to make the move

Understand now.

You do not have good options with 4 years shy of 50.

Just one person's advice.

I would lean towards marriage.

Realize that not preferring option.

If that did occur your then wife could obtain a non O based on retirement and you could obtain a non O based on dependant spouse. 

Many threads on that.

It's referred to as "piggyback" on her non O retirement. 

Someone will be posting for you to obtain a PE visa (elite visa) 

It's an option but expensive.

You can buy a 5 year option which being 47yr is a good option.

It's all about what  you can afford.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Someone will be posting for you to obtain a PE visa (elite visa) 

It's an option but expensive.

You can buy a 5 year option which being 47yr is a good option.

It's all about what  you can afford.

@mrblonde If you do decide to go down the 5 year 600K PE route then do it quickly as the current PE offerings are changing from 15th September & current rumours are that the 5 year visa will cost 900K from 1st October. 

• Like 1