Is this True or False?

I was watching a YouTube clip in Facebook, shot at an ALDI store in the UK.
Apparently the store was not accepting cash money anymore and this guy was paying cash money and walking out of the store claiming that they could call the police if they were not pleased.
Is this True or staged?
Is ALDI refusing cash payments?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Confuscious said:

In a very few new format stores. The reason they don't accept cash is that there are no tills, and there is nowhere to scan your purchases to pay. You just pick up what you want and walk out of the store with your items. Your bank card is automatically debited without needing to present it.

It's not new - Amazon Go already has stores like this.

https://retailtechinnovationhub.com/home/2023/8/1/aldi-uk-checkout-free-store-at-centre-of-cash-row-as-piers-corbyn-pays-for-strawberries-with-coins

It's a fair likelihood though that in the future more shops will be like this. The business will need very few staff; you can hire people on zero hours contracts to stock shelves as and when needed/gig economy work only; there is zero cash risk; no need for expensive computerised tills, cash collections, etc.

3 minutes ago, blackcab said:

In a very few new format stores. The reason they don't accept cash is that there are no tills, and there is nowhere to scan your purchases to pay. You just pick up what you want and walk out of the store with your items. Your bank card is automatically debited without needing to present it.

It's not new - Amazon Go already has stores like this.

https://retailtechinnovationhub.com/home/2023/8/1/aldi-uk-checkout-free-store-at-centre-of-cash-row-as-piers-corbyn-pays-for-strawberries-with-coins

Yes...and the beauty of it for the ships is when things are mispriced or offers don't go through properly...or your overcharged.....you have no way of knowing. 

2 hours ago, Confuscious said:

I was watching a YouTube clip in Facebook, shot at an ALDI store in the UK.
Apparently the store was not accepting cash money anymore and this guy was paying cash money and walking out of the store claiming that they could call the police if they were not pleased.
Is this True or staged?

Fals 

Just now, jak2002003 said:

Yes...and the beauty of it for the ships is when things are mispriced or offers don't go through properly...or your overcharged.....you have no way of knowing. 

You receive an almost instant email when you leave the store listing all your items, the amounts, etc.

If you spot a mistake they refund your money. If you want to return anything they refund you and tell you to keep the item. It's not worth employing someone to deal with a returned yoghurt or whatever.

The guy in the video is Piers Corbyn. Just reading the first sentence of his Wikipedia profile made me have an instant liking for him:

"Piers Richard Corbyn (born 10 March 1947) is a British weather forecaster, businessman, climate change denier, anti-vaccine activist, and conspiracy theorist."

He is right, they can't prevent us from paying with legal tender (yet).

Edited by rattlesnake
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

Guess I'm still locked in the 70's.

A wad of cash still feels good.

And I don't need to keep checking a spreadsheet or an app to see if I will be disgraced at the checkout by a refusal on a card.

But yeah. The times they are a changin'.????????

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

The guy in the video is Piers Corbyn. Just reading the first sentence of his Wikipedia profile made me have an instant liking for him:

"Piers Richard Corbyn (born 10 March 1947) is a British weather forecaster, businessman, climate change denier, anti-vaccine activist, and conspiracy theorist."

He is right, they can't prevent us from paying with legal tender (yet).

There is no obligationt for a shop/store to accept legal tender. The method of acceptable payment is at the shops discretion.

The term Legal tender only means that if a person owes a debt and presents legal tender to pay that debt , the creditor cannot pursue the debt if they refuse to accept the legal tender.

Edited by cleopatra2