Bangkok to Manchester airport change in Dubai easy or needs a lot of time

essex boys

Hi all, I’m going to be flying to Manchester next year in may using emirates, I have never flown emirates before and I see I have to change in Dubai for the connecting flight to Manchester, they offer various lay over times and I’m not sure how long I will need to check in for the connecting flight without chasing around, I would rather relax, grab a coffee and something to eat before catching the connecting flight any advise on the best time scale to allow, and are the bags checked through to Manchester or do I have to get them of the luggage carousel…are the connecting flights in the same terminal or is it a different terminal. I look forward to any help and advice

I usually fly that route with Qatar Airways but Emirates is OK as well. Dubai is an easy place to transit and your bags will be checked right through. I go for the shortest possible transit time, and it's never been a problem. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Allow whatever Emirates gives you for transit when you book the ticket.  Very quick to transit in Dubai.  If they sell you the ticket, you will make the connection.

Yorkshire Tea is correct. They won't sell you a ticket that doesn't meet the Minimum Connection Time for that route. (The MCT is typically 60-75 mins for international>international at Dubai.)

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 5:51 PM, Yorkshire Tea said:

Allow whatever Emirates gives you for transit when you book the ticket.  Very quick to transit in Dubai.  If they sell you the ticket, you will make the connection.

23 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Yorkshire Tea is correct. They won't sell you a ticket that doesn't meet the Minimum Connection Time for that route. (The MCT is typically 60-75 mins for international>international at Dubai.)

Maybe you should try reading the Ops post before commenting, he wants time for a coffee and a snack.

I've been doing the Bangkok-Dubai-Birmingham route a couple of times per year for well over a decade now...  Here is what I know from that experience.

- Yes, Bags always through to final destination (unless laying over more than 24 hrs)

- 1.5 hours is more than sufficient time to *transit from flight to flight.

- You may want about 2.5 hours if you fancy chilling with coffee between flights. 

- An excellent option is a Dubai **layover.

*When purchasing a ticket the airline is responsible for ensuring you make the connection or placing you on another flight - they wont sell you a ticket (on the same booking) if the connection time is too short. 

**Getting a nights sleep in a hotel between flights (in the summer there are lots of cheap hotels within 10 mins of the airport for £50) - you can be in a pool chilling within an hour of touching down with just hand carry while your baggage is automatically forwarded onto your onward flight (if within 24 hours) - IMO a far more relaxing way of travelling if not going business class and sleeping on a direct flight. 

- There is also a hotel within the airport (Airside) that we used to break up the journey when my Son was particularly young, now he's older we spend the afternoon messing about in a pool !!... 

Flights to and from places East of Dubai operate to and from one terminal and flights to and from airports west of Dubai out of or into the other.

There is a free underground railway which connects the two and runs very frequently. It is very efficient.and fast.

Consult Dubai airports website for details

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Maybole said:

Flights to and from places East of Dubai operate to and from one terminal and flights to and from airports west of Dubai out of or into the other.

There is a free underground railway which connects the two and runs very frequently. It is very efficient.and fast.

Consult Dubai airports website for details

Emirates, who the OP hopes to fly with, operate out of Terminal 3 only.  The underground train you refer to is probably the one connecting Concourses A and B which are part of Terminal 3, along with Concourse C, which is walkable from Concourse B.

Departures and arrivals can be from any of the 3 Concourses.

Edited by treetops
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, treetops said:

Emirates, who the OP hopes to fly with, operate out of Terminal 3 only.  The underground train you refer to is probably the one connecting Concourses A and B which are part of Terminal 3, along with Concourse C, which is walkable from Concourse B.

Departures and arrivals can be from any of the 3 Concourses.

Thanks for that, this is a change since I last used it.