I Want To Drive A Tuk Tuk

Neeranam

11 hours ago, bbko said:

There's gotta be better ways to socialize than being a taxi driver, I'm not suggesting other tuk tuk drivers will attack you with a machete, but I'd bet money some will see you as a farang that's taking money away from them.  You could try to be a tour guide, hotel concierge, advertise as a private driver for hire, tourist police volunteer, etc. 

Are not tour guides, hotel workers, drivers for hire restricted occupations?

Forgetaboutit, IMO.

If he wants to meet strangers I think TPV is the only option, but how about volunteering in an orphanage or such like ( with a work permit )?

On 8/5/2023 at 8:42 PM, Lacessit said:

You would probably do very well, as foreign tourists will be very comfortable with a tuk-tuk driver who speaks very good English. Your height is irrelevant seated under a tuk-tuk canopy.

The only snag I would see is being a victim of your success, when the BIB cotton on, and start demanding tea money.

More likely immigration jail and deportation for working in a restricted occupation.

I can only imagine how many Thai tuktuk drivers will be reporting him to the plod.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

More likely immigration jail and deportation for working in a restricted occupation.

I can only imagine how many Thai tuktuk drivers will be reporting him to the plod.

He's THAI!! Did you not read anything in this 2 page (now 3 with yours)? You clearly didn't notice he mentioned that he's a Thai citizen. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Highlandman said:

He's THAI!! Did you not read anything in this 2 page (now 3 with yours)? You clearly didn't notice he mentioned that he's a Thai citizen. 

Can we clear up his nationality? 

Is he Thai?

or

Is he a farang that has Thai citizenship?

18 minutes ago, bbko said:

Can we clear up his nationality? 

Is he Thai?

or

Is he a farang that has Thai citizenship?

He's British (Scottish) and Thai and holds Thai Citizenship. 

i.e. he's 'caucasian' (if I'm not mistaken) and as such driving a tuk-tuk is colouring outside of the lines... He'll face both hassles from the Police and from local Tuk Tuk drivers. 

Also, If I'm not mistaken, driving a tuk-tuk requries a specific licence, if he intends to use it for fare paying passengers (i.e. as regular tuk-tuks) and he's unlikely to get anywhere near such permission. 

If he simply wishes to ride around in tuk tuk for fun, he'll still draw attention, but perhaps not the potential for a violent response. 

16 hours ago, Highlandman said:

I read the OP which included "My question, would tourists, expats, Thais choose a 6'4 farang to drive them around?" It said nothing about being Thai.

If he's going to leave out relevant information that's on him.

I think it could be a good idea, If you can speak Thai,  I would go and ask some of the local drivers what they think. I am sure many would not like any new competition. Maybe depending on where you live, you could offer your service on ads at hotels frequented by tourist on call basis. Pin point your market and be less of a threat then you would be driving around looking for rides.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I read the OP which included "My question, would tourists, expats, Thais choose a 6'4 farang to drive them around?" It said nothing about being Thai.

If he's going to leave out relevant information that's on him.

My OP says, "I'm naturalised'. 

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Apologies. I didn't get the connection. Comes with being old.

You are correct, of course, but I still think other tuk tuk drivers will not be impressed, whatever the legalities.

thumbs up

• Thanks 1