What’s LaTeX?...Whatever Your Age: Please CHIME-In!

My Dear LATEX Fans,

Is LATEX important?

Let’s end the dispute!

And, let’s suggest the best ways for Oldsters to have some fun by learning how to use LATEX while improving their important cognitive skills.

You might think you know how to pronounce LATEX, and that it sounds like latex, but no; LATEX is pronounced LAY-tek.

There are many uses for LATEX, and not all uses are exclusively science related. However, if any on this forum are considering sending an article or two to “magazines” such as Nature or Science, then you will surely be lost without LATEX.

But LATEX is not just for the scientists among us. And even “lay people” find it fun to learn and use LATEX, especially if they have access to a high-resolution printer on which they can create spectacular and beautiful documents of all types. 

As well, just the process of learning LATEX can be a welcome diversion from the typical humdrum lives we lead in places like Phuket and Pattaya.  And anyone can learn how to use LATEX, even bar girls can learn LATEX.  And many of us know just how smart the Pattaya ladies are. AND, come to think of it, if you happen to actually BE in a Pattaya bar while reading these words, why not take a moment to ask your newly found GF if she knows how to use LATEX.

This OP will come in several parts. I have often been criticized for writing overly long crapola. So, this time, since this Topic is quite long in itself, this OP must be published in segments. This, the first segment, is just, basically, the intro. And following this segment, I will add much more pertinent and useful information in the comments section, including where to find decent tutorials for learning LATEX, the time required of you to learn LATEX (anywhere from 2-10 hours to 200 hours if you really want to become an expert LATEX-whizz), and much more!

So now this is the time for readers to CHIME-in with your thoughts about LATEX, whether or not you have ever used LATEX, and, most importantly…How You Like It.

Best regards,

Gamma G.

Please NOTE:  Other than the opportunity to improve your cognitive abilities, learning LATEX can provide you with many other important advantages.  Here are just two of the many…

ONE: Mastery of LATEX may qualify you to submit your stories to such magazines as these two…

CUcnIL0c4OmJneDEARoaI0KNZaQBLNxzysZVXN65sQ4MbAzqUuSfNHiJP3xQAi_PN69tIWh5hg8Ig5okJYYyfiiKucQls3m6lU1zLbmvUgqc9VoCLfHfkri7q10Rp3uK1kFtbKaJe3X9ZKYU8lcLCRU

TWO: With a little practice, you can turn out beautiful documents on your laser printer. And, you might ask, how much better will my document appear on the page by using LATEX, compared to that old slouch WORD, that WYSIWYG piece of crapola. Just look at the following comparison:

HERE is an example-document taken from our old-favorite, MOBY DICK!....

5OF-BFG6SJVDOs_-2TiQr0eWvm_H3QwWj2XXVFu0bcfuoi1fArZxPiZtFSdA_VrWpyomF2BW8E_PIRwsZBpMkIGEmlmdHmJ1VO5fP_x7DIO5qSKN5s2ohXC_ik7VgUcbEsI9Xl4qTmdXm3HzKzd_Ruw

Why is LATEX so great?  See this table below…

7un-WwokMIrwbBJVUOQUJ-ge_BEZtxwTZSXqrFIEgmDskjkX8TItkij2pSoeVFKU-7u-QcOoMIPR0IF14SJT8FkBYbXFpj53KZPA9bvRVt48aExxd8xoUAJIAtEsgDsNxg7vEdSyf8g_dd4IZfrgm2w

Nuff Said, right?

(GG)

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 2

For those who have never used LATEX, then one of many starting points might be this site which provides a very basic tutorial for newbies:

https://www.learnlatex.org/en/lesson-01

It's always nice to know more than your teenage grandchildren.

Sure, they might be able to quickly set up your iPhone, when you might require days or weeks,

But, can they compose a beautiful document using LATEX?

Probably not.

Why not impress your grandchildren by being able to do something, using fantastic opensource technology, that they cannot?

The above site is just one of many offering tutorials, and some say it's good.

Old dogs are never too old to learn new tricks.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Having begun reading the linked tutorial, you may decide that you want to install TeX Live on your Windows computer. Or, if you have an Apple, or a Linux computer, then you will know what to do just by going to this tug.org site:

https://tug.org/texlive/

Just play around with it....

Have a lot of fun!

(Please note that, for the Windows version, you will need just under 8 GBytes of free space on your hard drive or SSD.  This is not a lot of space, and you probably have plenty.)

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1

TeXLive is a very large software program, and the installation process may take you about.... 

Maybe about the time required to listen to "Tainted Love" at least 10 or more times.

There are MANY files to be installed in the TeXLive computer application.

Just let your computer BUMP AND GRIND for awhile.

(Of course, another option might be to use a LaTeX online version. But, not quite as satisfying, IMHO.)

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1

In case anyone chooses to install TeX Live on a HDD or SSD....

TeX Live is a VERY LARGE software program with many lines of code and MANY files.

During the installation process, many compressed files need to be unpacked and installed.

Unpacking these many files requires a LOT of time, but is not especially CPU intensive (the CPU I am using is an antique, and slow, Intel i5 4670). My installation of TeX Live required approx 60 minutes to complete. ((Installation on an SSD will probably be faster than on an HDD.))

Size of the Windows 10 OS is about 20GB for the 64-bit version

TeX Live requires about 7.8GB of disk space

Both programs take a long time to install, about an hour, it seems.

But: TeX Live is free software

And: Windows 10 is ALSO free software...IF you know where to download it for free.

I always choose free software.

I always prefer opensource software.

Most good things in life are free, but usually not so in Pattaya...

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1

If you decide to install TeX Live on your computer...

Please ensure you have plenty of FREE SPACE (Head Room?) on your drive.

I thought I had enough space, with 9GB free, but it turned out to be insufficient, and the installation failed prematurely before coming.

When this happens, then you must uninstall the program, and then delete the TeXLive directory, before you can start the installation again, as I am now doing.

(TeX Live is easier to install on OpenSuse, as I recall. But Windows should be OK, too.)

• Love It 1

15 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

why dont YOU get a Latex outfit and start playing golf in it?

instead of drooling over women way too young for you. 

I wouldn't be attracted to old women, even if they dressed up in latex.

I am attracted to women of about 23 or 24, same as I have always been.

But now, I am too old for them.

Therefore, if it is not right to have a 23- or 24-year old, then I think it's best to have no muffin at all.

image.png.43344553a6bb407ebbb884ca48b67264.pngimage.png.e1d18f21aa7c0be832f97ff5edf0ec84.pngimage.png.13b60a4c59dc28e06a1ea5f8ec90217a.png

See what I mean?

But I can't even tell which of these girls is wearing latex, and which might be just wearing leather, or something else.

Talk about TAINTED LOVE!

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

Please NOTE:  For those of you that choose to install TeX Live on their Windows computer, but then decide to uninstall this VERY LARGE program from your hard drive...

a. First use the standard Windows uninstaller using the Add/Remove button, as usual.

b. However, after doing this, the 3.5GB of TeX Live files will still remain in the directory "TexLive", located on your root directory.

c. You will need to locate this directory, and delete the files contained in the directory (folder), and then delete the directory (folder) itself.

I just wanted to mention this, so you don't get stuck with 3.5GB of files on your computer that you don't want.

This software, I believe, was first ported to Linux (maybe), and so most guys, these days, probably use TeX Live on Linux, or maybe Apple OS.

Windows works, OK, though....

• Love It 1

If your first attempt at installing TeX Live fails, just because you forgot to prepare enough space on your SSD, and then you need to delete your first installation, and then reinstall it, as has happened to me this evening, then you might be wishing you had purchased a latex mattress before you started.

I am thinking of buying a latex mattress before I begin STEP 2 of the LATEX tutorial, which I linked above, at https://www.learnlatex.org/en/lesson-01

Latex mattresses are expensive but well worth it, especially if you weigh a lot, and if you might have health problems such as arthritis. Or, if you are completely healthy, then you will still get a better night's sleep, or so I have been told.

Here is a video about Latex Mattresses, but let's not believe everything we hear.

I cannot vouch for these guys:

• Love It 1

Why do you have to post So many crappy threads constantly lol. Almost every 3rd thread on this forum is started by you. You have like a compulsion to make threads that people roll their eyes at?

Do you really have nothing better to do than to create tabloid-style posts with terrible boomer-formatting?

God, please don't let me turn into you when I get old.

Edited by HandsomeTallFarang
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

a.  What is boomer-formatting???

b.   You should be so lucky to turn into me when you reach my age.

Yes BOOMER formatting, as in, you make 4-5 replies in a row, when you can convey the same things with ONE post. You don't need to post a separate reply for EVERY post, you want to quote, you can put them all inside of ONE reply instead of <deleted>ting up the forum by spamming replies..

I mean really do you think it's appropriate to send 5 replies in a row? 5 different quotes, 5 different replies? Is that how an effin' forum should operate? Just every user off in their own world, sending 10 replies and derailing it.

you can just put them all in one post. Stop. Boomer-formatting. 

Edited by HandsomeTallFarang
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Yes BOOMER formatting, as in, you make 4-5 replies in a row, when you can convey the same things with ONE post. You don't need to post a separate reply for EVERY post, you want to quote, you can put them all inside of ONE reply instead of <deleted>ting up the forum by spamming replies..

I mean really do you think it's appropriate to send 5 replies in a row? 5 different quotes, 5 different replies? Is that how an effin' forum should operate? Just every user off in their own world, sending 10 replies and derailing it.

you can just put them all in one post. Stop. Boomer-formatting. 

If it's all the same to you, I think I best stick to the Chicago Manual of Style....

image.png.b8aa238575f8387ffa817c63a6d855bb.png

As you correctly point out, I am probably just too old a dog to learn new tricks, at this stage of my decrepitude.

Still, thank you for your suggestion.

I will take it to heart.

Please wait and watch to see if I improve.

Thank you.