Oil Stains Found on Some Phuket Beaches

webfact

image.jpeg

Phuket – Oil stains were found on several beaches in Thalang along with a baby sea turtle that appeared to have been impacted by the oil.

The head of the Sirinat National Park, Mr. Sorasak Rananan, told the Phuket Express on Friday (August 4th) that oil stains were found along beaches in the north of Phuket which was Nai Yang Beach, Mai Khao Beach, Nai Thon Beach, and Layan Beach.

Officials from the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR) and the Phuket Environment Office inspected the beaches in question.

By Goongnang Suksawat

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2023/08/05/oil-stains-found-on-some-phuket-beaches/

image.jpeg
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2023-08-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 2

Probe ordered into oil slicks washed onto Phuket’s beaches

image.png

Marine Department official in Phuket have been asked to check ships which have sailed past the popular island in the past seven days, to discover whether any of them illegally discharged engine or bunker oil into the sea, after oil slicks were found on several beaches.

The slicks were found washed ashore on Mai Khao, Nai Thorn, Nai Yang and La Yan beaches in Thalang district on Friday, prompting officials to launch a clean-up.

Apichai Ekvanakun, deputy director-general of the Marine and Coastal Resources Department, said yesterday (Saturday) that he ordered officials to investigate immediately after he received a report of the presence of oil on several beaches.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/probe-ordered-into-oil-slicks-washed-onto-phukets-beaches/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-08-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Didn't the Thai navy just have a mishap in that area?

No. A long way from Phuket.

On July 26 2023 HTMS Naresuan hit a wharf at Map Ta Phut port in Muang district, Rayong province.

UPDATE: Boat Releasing Oil Into Phuket Sea to Face Legal Action
By Goongnang Suksawat

image.jpeg

Phuket – The Phuket Marine Office filed a report for legal action against a boat that released oil into the sea.

The Phuket Marine Office Chief Mr. Chayapong Pranit told the Phuket Express that they have been able to ascertain that the source of oil was a boat.

The Phuket Marine Office filed a report to the Sakoo Police in Thalang on Monday (August 7th) to continue the investigation and to identify the boat’s owner.

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2023/08/08/update-boat-releasing-oil-into-phuket-sea-to-face-legal-action/

image.jpeg
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2023-08-08

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/7/2023 at 3:40 AM, London Lowf said:

That's three of my favourite beaches - what with the plastic that gets blown/washed up at this time of year that will be a very sad sight.

you should go out and help clean the beaches in your neighborhood. i will be soon.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

If all of us rich (relatively to most Thais) took a garbage bag with us to the beach and collected a bagful every week or a few times a week when we went for a swim imagine what this might do to help keep our beaches cleaner?!

Get up, set and example, do something no matter how large and endless the problem may seem and see what happens.

13 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

If all of us rich (relatively to most Thais) took a garbage bag with us to the beach and collected a bagful every week or a few times a week when we went for a swim imagine what this might do to help keep our beaches cleaner?!

Get up, set and example, do something no matter how large and endless the problem may seem and see what happens.

If I picked up other peoples trash while walking anywhere here, I wouldn't get very far, and end up with a bad back.

I pay taxes to employ other folks to pick up after the idiots who have no respect for themselves or country they live in.

9 hours ago, stoner said:

you should go out and help clean the beaches in your neighborhood. i will be soon.

I returned to the UK a couple of weeks ago, but when I am on Phuket I do often pick up discarded rubbish on Layan that the local picnicers have left.

However, the amount of waste plastic blown onto the beaches and carried on the tides is a mountain too high to climb for me. During the high seasons the beach traders and local authorities do a pretty good job, but at this time of year not so much.

Edited by London Lowf