No alcohol 3 weeks

bignok

52 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

They feel good about themselves, which is the most important thing in love. Self love first. A person who's become addicted has a hard time getting rid of that addiction, as any cigarette smoker can attest. I think it's great that they want to better themselves. Drinking isn't a problem until it becomes an addiction, and the damage it can cause. Some have to stay away from it and it's very hard. Give them credit because you don't understand it if you're not going through it. Just like having depression. If you don't want to add constructive comments, you don't have to reply. Easy.

Not had a drink for 12 hours and about to have the next, not interesting either is it? Why do ex boozers feel the need to go on about it all the time, addiction is their problem for them to deal with, not anyone else's. If they are always needing sympathy and support best to get it from family, not strangers on the internet.

8 minutes ago, proton said:

Not had a drink for 12 hours and about to have the next, not interesting either is it? Why do ex boozers feel the need to go on about it all the time, addiction is their problem for them to deal with, not anyone else's. If they are always needing sympathy and support best to get it from family, not strangers on the internet.

When a person has an addiction, it involves everyone around them, most importantly, their family. It affects every day of their life, and brings down those who love them. Posting it here is a way of release in a positive way.. Although pride isn't usually a good thing, it's a way of saying to the world, I did it, so can you, which does reach others, just like an AA meeting. There are alcoholics on this forum , statistically speaking, and some of them might be hurting also. Why belittle their pain, their knowing others are just like them, or their want to get rid of it?

15 minutes ago, proton said:

Why do you feel the need to post on topics you have no interest in? Talk to your family about that.

4 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

When a person has an addiction, it involves everyone around them, most importantly, their family. It affects every day of their life, and brings down those who love them. Posting it here is a way of release in a positive way.. Although pride isn't usually a good thing, it's a way of saying to the world, I did it, so can you, which does reach others, just like an AA meeting. There are alcoholics on this forum , statistically speaking, and some of them might be hurting also. Why belittle their pain, their knowing others are just like them, or their want to get rid of it?

I agree. It might help someone.

Cynics are so bitter about posts why? They could just move along.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Enlighten me, what else? Apart from the alcohol itself, that is.

Currently watching "Boardwalk Empire". A bit nostalgic, as I was in Atlantic City for a conference in 1986.

I was referring to the fact that bootleg distillers often/sometimes used lead pipes and solder to make their stills, which lead to many deaths.

However, I am unsure what factor was the leading cause of death from drinking bootleg alcohol.

Maybe we should ask Bard?

Also, the US Government mandated that 10 percent methanol be added to industrial alcohol, which the bootleg distillers often failed to remove before supplying this concoction to imbibers.

So...what was the leading cause of death?

methanol?

US Gov?

lead and solder?

The Empire's first few episodes were better than the episodes that followed, as I recall.

3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Not belittling their pain, just don't want to see it splashed all over the place in a look at me aint I in a terrible state, or haven't I done well for not drinking for x amount of days- please send me the praise comments. As you say involves people around them, not strangers on forums etc.

2 hours ago, LaosLover said:

I bought a $100 bottle of Barbancourt Haitian rum in Laos, I had never had the 5* variety.

Like a quiet cloud of the cane slow-shifting my mouth. Havana Club Blue Label is still the best alcohol on earth, tho. 

And a month later, that bottle is still half full (for two drinkers). Why be a pig? I def like about 2-6 alcohol shots a week.

If a place has a for-real Lychee Martini, I'm in. Is there a bunch of lychee's soaking in a big jar of vodka behind the bar? Why isn't the Galangal Sour more of a thing?

Booze is the most popular food on earth for 10,000 years for a reason.

The last line. Genesis 9 v 21. He ( Noah) began drinking of the wine and became intoxicated . I think his wife Joan did too.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

Why do you feel the need to post on topics you have no interest in? Talk to your family about that.

I have an interest in drinking! I do know an ex addict (it's not a disease) who works with alcoholics and admire him as I have never once heard him talk about it, either wallowing in self pity, or boasting about how many years he has been sober. If people have given up but are still obsessed with it they need proper counselling. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, proton said:

Not belittling their pain, just don't want to see it splashed all over the place in a look at me aint I in a terrible state, or haven't I done well for not drinking for x amount of days- please send me the praise comments. As you say involves people around them, not strangers on forums etc.

Why are you still here? Just ignore the topic.

1 minute ago, proton said:

I have an interest in drinking! I do know an ex addict (it's not a disease) who works with alcoholics and admire him as I have never once heard him talk about it, either wallowing in self pity, or boasting about how many years he has been sober. If people have given up but are still obsessed with it they need proper counselling. 

So you are here making 5 posts to just whinge then. Ok. 

9 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I was referring to the fact that bootleg distillers often/sometimes used lead pipes and solder to make their stills, which lead to many deaths.

However, I am unsure what factor was the leading cause of death from drinking bootleg alcohol.

Maybe we should ask Bard?

Also, the US Government mandated that 10 percent methanol be added to industrial alcohol, which the bootleg distillers often failed to remove before supplying this concoction to imbibers.

So...what was the leading cause of death?

methanol?

US Gov?

lead and solder?

The Empire's first few episodes were better than the episodes that followed, as I recall.

My understanding was much of the lead poisoning during Prohibition came in the form of bullets.

Be that as it may, it is estimated 1 million people still die annually from lead poisoning. Children are the worst affected.

Can't fault Meridian Brandy from 7/11.

Some Soda Water minnow, feels very proper Joseph Conrad-ish to be sipping that while looking at a stupa at sunset from my balcony.

Or in some fresh squeezed orange juice. Proper fresh squeezed orange juice from Starbucks, not that sweet tangerine gunk they try to pass off here.

Opening post with seven, 7 words.

Aiming for the shortest OP since this forums history?

Clever one.

@GammaGlobulin Take note here, dear friend. You will never be a runner-up, sadly. Neither in content value, length, (or girth).

As the ladies say: it's not the length that matters. 

Think about that for a moment or two ..

Amazing topic btw

8 minutes ago, Shop mak said:

Opening post with seven, 7 words.

Aiming for the shortest OP since this forums history?

Clever one.

@GammaGlobulin Take note here, dear friend. You will never be a runner-up, sadly. Neither in content value, length, (or girth).

As the ladies say: it's not the length that matters. 

Think about that for a moment or two ..

Amazing topic btw

Ladies prefer something else.

• Haha 1