Communication Lines Disrupt Village Life, Residents Call for Action

webfact

f59d9cbcf07d82a6c2c7af82a3851dc9e59f554708725004f1c3bf4c30e05a9b.jpg

On August 10, 2566, news reports highlighted the plight of villagers in Tambon Kut Du, Nong Sang District, Nong Bua Lamphu Province, as communication cables entangled their doorsteps, making movement difficult. Customers hesitated to enter stores due to the tangled wires.

Investigating the matter, journalists found that a road expansion project from Nong Bua Lamphu to Nong Sang District had disrupted the village, reported Siam Rath.

Numerous communication cables dangled from power poles, creating hazards for pedestrians and causing the ground to crack. Abandoned plots were crisscrossed with these cables, limiting land access.

ca251caff8dd28a4e9aaca823c2e8f21f3705cf17a3cbad4fac72a8b66772952.jpg

Photo: Siam Rath

Local shop owner, Areerat Boonbanda, shared that for nearly two months, her ice cream shop had been affected.

Customers struggled to navigate through the cables and uneven ground. The danger of electric shocks loomed, leaving her unable to assure safety to her patrons.

bb545cfc6ca677cd3617c0acdbe3aa46bca74ad3cc14e72e70f696156f6b19c7.jpg

Despite complaints to the power company, no action had been taken. The community, with over ten affected homes and businesses, appealed to the media for attention and intervention. Villagers hoped for a resolution before accidents occurred.

84e228821f7e13f23ead1ce56857070edd79f89662f2cfdf8d38735585a3f66a.jpg

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-08-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, blackshadow said:

disgusting state of affairs !!!!

I wouldn't knock this too much, this type of pervasive lax of enforcement of any cabling rules, has allowed Thailand to embraced real FFTH upgrades much earlier than most other countries, large availability of FFTH  approaching nearly a decade in some areas, and with current state of affairs with 300mb-500mb symmetric available for around $15-$18pm with multiple competitors fighting over the last mile - rather than virtual. In the UK the biggest cost in rollouts has always been the last mile, even today, FFTC (fiber to cabinet) and then copper delivery is still the best compromise for a significant portion of the UK. It's ugly for sure, but I want my fast internet, can tidy it up later

• Confused 1

What's the problem? Typical throughout Thailand.

A few weeks ago I moved to a new rental location. There was already a nice Internet fiber cable coming into the house. I asked the landlord if they could ask the previous tenant which Internet provider they used so I could perhaps check out and use that same provider.

After contacting ToT to obtain new service ToT refused to try and use the same line and ran a new one leaving the existing one there. Their reply was that it's just easier to run a new line.

• Haha 2

Same here! When 3BB upgraded our service to "fibre" they did not remove the olde copper cable. Oh well, as all these cables run past our upper floor windows we won't have to close the blinds for privacy.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Customers struggled to navigate through the cables and uneven ground. The danger of electric shocks loomed, leaving her unable to assure safety to her patrons

A small bonfire strategically placed may have helped.

We had both the electric company and Verizon across the road transferring cables from one row of telephone poles to another row.  They were removing old cables that were not needed any more.  I told them, they ought to see Thailand and how they just add cables until all you see is a tangled mess.  I don't think they could envision what I was saying.