New passport for permanent resident process

Hi All, 

Issue: Permanent resident, passport will expire soon

Only happens once every 5 years and I always forget the details... So, I fetch the new passport, bring old and new passport, the blue and the red (police) book to immigration at Cheangwattana, I'll be there after lunch so fetch the next day, that's OK.

Questions
Any special day or time I must be at Cheangwattana?
Which section? Section E?

Do I have to fill in any papers before I get to TM? I kind of remember that they said I had to had papers filled in to be able to queue but I can't find any forms etc. for moving permanent residency from old to new passport
Triple entry cost? Less than 4,000 baht, right? Any other costs?
Do I have to go to the police station to update the red police book with anything? 
Anything else I have forgotten?

Thanks all

Best Regards

Michael

Do you have non-quota visa to migrate to new passport? If you don't, you don't need to inform immigration of the new passport, simply apply for new non-quota visa before leaving the country. There's nothing to update in blue/white book either.

There's only single and multiple entry non-quota visa, which are 1900 and 3800 baht and then there's endorsement, which is done at the same time (stamp in the certificate of residence).

Permanent residence and passport are not related, unless you've registered eChannel.

Every 5 years (or 1 year if you choose to extend only 1 year) you need to go and extend the red book at the police station you're registered at. And every 10 years you extend your pink ID card at the local khet.

That's about all you need to do with PR. Only thing, which you already know, is that you have to get non quota immigrant visa and endorsement before travel and return within its validity (1 year) not to lose PR.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

Permanent residence and passport are not related,

Well, they always stamp and put in a reference to the original date of my residency on the first page of the passport. I wouldn't want to try to do anything in Thailand with a totally blank passport ???? I want that one

Thanks Tomaz

1 hour ago, MikeyIdea said:

Questions
Any special day or time I must be at Cheangwattana?
Which section? Section E?

Do I have to fill in any papers before I get to TM? I kind of remember that they said I had to had papers filled in to be able to queue but I can't find any forms etc. for moving permanent residency from old to new passport

These questions remain. Anyone?

20 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

Well, they always stamp and put in a reference to the original date of my residency on the first page of the passport. I wouldn't want to try to do anything in Thailand with a totally blank passport ???? I want that one

Thanks Tomaz

Actually that's not true in my case. In my case I've changed passport outside country and on the entry stamp they wrote which page of previous passport there is the non-quota visa. That's all there was in my passport over COVID as I just got that stamp just before whole World closed down. On applying for non-quota visa and endorsement a few months back (or work permit during COVID), nobody asked any questions for having a single entry stamp in the entire new passport. I did provide old passport as well but nobody bothered to take a look at it.

Any special day to be at CW? No. Any day that it's open.

Same section as for PR - I think It is E1/E2, in white. Last counters before corridor on the right.

All forms are available at reception (the room before getting into large room), and you need to fill those forms up there before going in and getting queue.

And again - there's nothing to move from old to new passport ???? I went there to do the same and when I got to counter I got told it's nothing to do (though at that time I had new passport and new address). Was told data would be updated when I get new PR booklet. Not a bad trip, but wasted 3 hours for nothing.

Just thought i should add, i was told by the people that do our corporate liaison with immigration that if you have a re entry permit recently in the old passport they will add it to the first page of the new passport. Don't ask me why... 

23 hours ago, MikeyIdea said:

Thanks Tomaz

I have PR and got a new passport a few years ago. I just went to Chaengwattana with old/new passport, Residence book and red book. Just say at reception "new passport" and they will give you a queue ticket for E. If I remember rightly, they just put a few stamps in my new passport/residence book and that was it.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 2:55 AM, MikeyIdea said:

Hi All, 

Issue: Permanent resident, passport will expire soon

Only happens once every 5 years and I always forget the details... So, I fetch the new passport, bring old and new passport, the blue and the red (police) book to immigration at Cheangwattana, I'll be there after lunch so fetch the next day, that's OK.

If you want to do what you propose arrive at 10:30 am and collect at 11:30 or arrive at 11:15 to 11:30 have lunch and collect at 1:00 pm. Return next day not necessary. Only issuing new white book (replacement for blue or white) takes more than the same day, i.e 3 working days.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 10:28 AM, thaiowl said:

I have PR and got a new passport a few years ago. I just went to Chaengwattana with old/new passport, Residence book and red book. Just say at reception "new passport" and they will give you a queue ticket for E. If I remember rightly, they just put a few stamps in my new passport/residence book and that was it.

It is not actually necessary to go to CW if you are a PR with a new passport (unless you need to go anyway for new endorsement and multiple re-entry.)

You can travel with the old (with the stamp) and new passport.Immigration are quite happy with this.Then go to CW when you need to.

• Like 2