Search continues in Phetchaburi for two missing tourists after boat capsizes

webfact

476ABD91-A6D5-4341-9898-CF9051E63920-600x338.png

Rescue teams are continuing their search today (Sunday) for two tourists, who remain missing after a tour boat encountered a waterspout and capsized in an estuary in Bang Tabun Bay in Phetchaburi last evening.

The driver of the boat, Samphan, told the police that he took a group of seven people for a sight-seeing tour in Bang Tabun Bay. On the way back, about two kilometres from the shore, a waterspout suddenly formed and hit his vessel violently, causing it to capsize.

He said that none of the seven tourists were wearing life jackets, but he managed to save five of them and the other two could not be located.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/search-continues-in-phetchaburi-for-two-missing-tourists-after-boat-capsizes/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-08-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter. Click to subscribe

• Sad 2

Waterspout disaster: One dead, one missing as Thai tour boat sinks in Bang Ta Boon Bay
by Mitch Connor

image.jpeg

Bang Ta Boon Bay, via Facebook (Amazing Thailand)

In a tragic waterspout disaster off Ban Laem district, one holidaymaker perished, while another remains unaccounted for following the fateful sinking of a tour boat in the midst of Bang Ta Boon Bay. The calamity took place on a recent Saturday afternoon when a waterspout, an atmospheric oddity resembling a miniature tornado, assailed their vessel.

The rather unusual maritime waterspout disaster, highlighted due to its involvement with a spiralling atmospheric vortex, was reported to the 191 police emergency centre around 5pm. Sampan Jinping, a 63 years old individual who operated the boat, revealed that he had been contracted by a group of seven enthusiasts who were interested in exploring the picturesque surroundings of Bang Ta Boon Bay.

As the boat was starting its return journey back towards the mainland, approximately 2 kilometres out to sea, the elements turned hostile with an abrupt strike by a waterspout. The calamitous event unleashed a wave of destruction, sinking the boat and hurling all seven passengers into the deep waters.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/waterspout-sinks-thai-tour-boat-one-dead-one-missing-in-bang-ta-boon-bay

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-08-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter. Click to subscribe

• Sad 3

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Did he check the weather forecast before embarking on this fatal trip? I would never go to sea without checking, but seems many here do.

Did you read the article? A water spout has nothing to do with the weather it comes from within the water as far as I'm aware. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, BritScot said:

Did you read the article? A water spout has nothing to do with the weather it comes from within the water as far as I'm aware. 

Yes I did read it, It was NOT a water spout, that is miss reported, it did not come from within the water at all, it was sucked up.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Saturday afternoon when a waterspout, an atmospheric oddity resembling a miniature tornado, assailed their vessel

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, stoner said:

the picture in this story does not match this information. it clearly shows a boat quite close to a port or docks. not 2 km away. 

The picture with the OP very clearly does not show any boat. 

Are waterspouts stationary?   Perhaps his boat was hit 2km out and then the spout headed towards the shore where the video was taken?  The person taking the video does not say that he was recording the boat, just the waterspout.

12 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Yes I did read it, It was NOT a water spout, that is miss reported, it did not come from within the water at all, it was sucked up.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Saturday afternoon when a waterspout, an atmospheric oddity resembling a miniature tornado, assailed their vessel

The quote that you posted above described correctly what a waterspout is, waterspouts do not come from "within the water", as you seemed to suggest.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Are waterspouts stationary?   Perhaps his boat was hit 2km out and then the spout headed towards the shore where the video was taken?  The person taking the video does not say that he was recording the boat, just the waterspout.

ok matlock then why bother with a baiting picture in the article ? 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, stoner said:
14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

ok matlock then why bother with a baiting picture in the article ? 

Why ask me, do you think that I'm the OP?

4 minutes ago, stoner said:
14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why ask me, do you think that I'm the OP?

you seem to know for sure the pic is not of the boat so. 

It is easy to know what I said for sure because there is no boat that can be seen in that picture.    I can see what could be a jetty, perhaps, but that is not a boat.

34 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It is easy to know what I said for sure because there is no boat that can be seen in that picture.    I can see what could be a jetty, perhaps, but that is not a boat.

on the left side of the pic in this thread you can see some sort of vehicle in the water that looks far larger than any jetty. it even has what looks to be a roof too.

right below the chunks of debris. 

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How can you not see the boat, and then not see that it is capsized after the watersport hits it?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:
3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

How can you not see the boat, and then not see that it is capsized after the watersport hits it?

"Watersport"?  Golden!

"How can you not see the boat..."

Because there is no long-tail boat visible in that photo, only the waterspout and some debris flying in the air near to what is posibly a jetty.   You think that pic shows something that is 2 km from the shore?  That's where the boat was hit.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

2 hours ago, stoner said:

on the left side of the pic in this thread you can see some sort of vehicle in the water that looks far larger than any jetty. it even has what looks to be a roof too.

right below the chunks of debris. 

Is that 2km from the shoreline, that's where the boat was when it was struck, wasn't it?